Windows 10: Changed Excel to default. Now I cannot open any program.

Discus and support Changed Excel to default. Now I cannot open any program. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I first set excel to open all .tsv files by default. Then excel has somehow become the default to open all applications, and changing all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TF26, May 28, 2020.

1. TF26 Win User

Changed Excel to default. Now I cannot open any program.

Hello,

I first set excel to open all .tsv files by default. Then excel has somehow become the default to open all applications, and changing all document icons to excel.

I cannot fix this and so I uninstalled mocrosoft office.

Now nothing and I mean NOTHING will open on my pc. Including registry editor and cmd. It simply cannot open any exe files.

Could anyone help me?

:)

2. jgar70 Win User

How to change default program to open an excel file

How do I change the default program? I downloaded a 3rd party program to view excel files that didn't work for me and now every time I double click on an excel file it tries to open it with that program.. I have since found the right program but don't
    want to keep having to right click, open with, and choose the right one.

jgar70, May 28, 2020
  3. Change How Folders Open By Default (My laptop keeps using CMD)

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I suggest you to set File Explorer as the Default program and check if that helps. To do this, refer the steps given below.

• Open Control Panel.
    • Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Default Programs.
    • Look for File Explorer towards the left pane and select it.
    • Set this as default program and apply changes.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, May 28, 2020
  4. Changed Excel to default. Now I cannot open any program.

Can't change default program to open files.

Hi,

I'm trying to change the default program for .dwg files from Autocad to Draftsight.

I already tried:

• right click > open with > choose another app > always use this app. The file opens in Draftsight without problems, but it still opens with Autocad the next time you double click a dwg file.
    • settings > apps > default apps > choose default apps by file type. This also does not change the default method to Draftsight.

When I type assoc .dwg in command prompt, it shows ".dwg=DraftSight.Drawing"

I see some suggestions to try using the old interface through control panel, but it seems like control panel routes to the new interface.

I also tried changing the association for .txt files from notepad to notepad++ and it doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

petersteele, May 28, 2020
Thema:

Changed Excel to default. Now I cannot open any program.

1. Changed Excel to default. Now I cannot open any program. - Similar Threads - Changed Excel default

2. I want to open a file and change the default program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I want to open a file and change the default program: I want to open a file but my default program is paint and my only other choice is to download one from the store but the program I would like to use is not on the store...
  3. I want to open a file and change the default program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to open a file and change the default program: I want to open a file but my default program is paint and my only other choice is to download one from the store but the program I would like to use is not on the store...
  4. I want to open a file and change the default program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot change default program

Cannot change default program: Hi All, I'll start this thread apparently for the umpteenth time, but none of the forum posts (and not just this forum's) I've read provided with a fix to this one. My Windows version number is 10.0.17763. I have a few Adobe CC 2020 programs installed (yes, with a genuine,...
  6. Change Default Program for Opening Gif Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change Default Program for Opening Gif Files: Last thread 1571 replies. Still no answer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-program-for-opening-gif-files/7fc7f779-13cf-4a8e-a9b0-662c66c0dc97"
  7. Cannot change default program for some extensions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot change default program for some extensions: I cannot change the default "Open with..." program for some file extensions such as .mpeg or .mp4. The "Open with..." dialog appears but there is no "Always use this app for .mp4 files" checkbox. I can change the associations from the "Choose default apps by file type"...
  8. Can't change default program to open files.

Can't change default program to open files.: Hi, I'm trying to change the default program for .dwg files from Autocad to Draftsight. I already tried: right click > open with > choose another app > always use this app. The file opens in Draftsight without problems, but it still opens with Autocad the next time you...
  9. Cannot change file's default program

Cannot change file's default program: Please do not suggest going to the settings/control panel and "set defaults by app", "choose default apps by file type", "choose default apps by protocol", or by right clicking and selected "set as default program". There are certain types that do not change and when I...
  10. I cannot change my default .jar program to java

I cannot change my default .jar program to java: I have a windows 10 machine. I have run everything fine before I reset my pc. My default now is set to notepad, which was my mistake. The only options I have to open a file with are apps from the windows store which is not helpful because I need to run this file using...