Windows 10: Changed Folder Permissions To My User Name In Safe Mode.

Discus and support Changed Folder Permissions To My User Name In Safe Mode. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all I do not have a great knowledge of folder permissions. I hope i have not made a silly mistake, if this is the case then i am fine with my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Christopher109, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Changed Folder Permissions To My User Name In Safe Mode.

Hi all

I do not have a great knowledge of folder permissions. I hope i have not made a silly mistake, if this is the case then i am fine with my decision to change the folder permissions out of curiosity.

Here is what i did.

After noticing some changes in folder permissions, which i did not do myself, i went ahead and started Windows 10 in safe mode. After that i right clicked the local disk C:\ and went into security/Advanced/Auditing and put my user name in, checked names etc. I did the steps and replaced all ownership of every file to be my user name.

About half way through the process of the files being changed i clicked cancel because i remembered something from a place where i once worked. Where my boss told me to be very careful replacing ownership of operating system files. I got the windows message about "inconsistent state" and i should run the process in full.

I just want to know will this cause any problems with the operating system? Should i restart in safe mode and let the process run in full? I felt i should ask someone who knows more, if what i have done is fine? I am not having any trouble with the computer or OS.

Is it ok to replace ownership of every file with my user account? Sorry if i could have cut this text into short but for now i will leave it as is.

Thanks for anyone's help.

:)

Christopher109, Jan 6, 2019
  2. DSD
    DSD Win User

Need help with changing name of user profile folder

I would like to change the name of the user profile folder. I have found and tried a few methods including one from Microsoft forums. None of them worked. I kept getting something about my User needing to sign out and back in again that there was a problem, so I would sign out and back in again and it didn't work. I think the reason is because Windows created a TEMP user and would log me in under that so there would be a folder named C/User/TEMP and still the original named folder of C/User/myuserfolder.

I found this on the forums here: Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

The instructions are very similar to what I have tried. In the above post John W used safe mode. Do I need to go through all the steps again as listed in the post and then go into safe mode, or can I just use safe mode to change the folder name?

Also, are there newer instructions for how to do this with updates to Windows since the above thread was posted over a year ago?

Thanks in advance.

3. User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Jan 6, 2019
  4. Changed Folder Permissions To My User Name In Safe Mode.

Folder won't open due to permission issue

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand your concern. Let me help you.

I suggest you to sign out from the current account, restart the computer and log in with Administrators account and

check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important you must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

• Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Jan 6, 2019
Thema:

Changed Folder Permissions To My User Name In Safe Mode.

1. Changed Folder Permissions To My User Name In Safe Mode. - Similar Threads - Changed Folder Permissions

2. Is it safe to change my "Users" file name?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it safe to change my "Users" file name?: So I was wanting to change my user file name because I post videos on YouTube and I sometimes have to show stuff in my files. But I have to blur the "Users > [user name]" file every time because it does contain some sensitive info about my real name. So my question is, is it...
  3. Change the name of my user folder

Change the name of my user folder: Is it possible to change the name of my user folder? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-name-of-my-user-folder/2d7e3d7a-ed14-4026-8a68-31475cc8e2a4
  4. How to change my user name folder in a safe way ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change my user name folder in a safe way ?: Hello folks.. Like the titles says... how to change my user name folder ? see this screenshot right here.. the name is typed wrong ! don't know when this happened ! i have just installed a copy on my new PC, after it got finished windows asked me for Microsoft account if...
  5. Changing User folder name ??

Changing User folder name ??: I recently clean installed Win 10 and i came to found out that the name of the user folder is first 5 letters of my email address. I wanted to know if there is a simple solution to this. I also tried renaming and changing path in regedit using Administrator account but it was...
  6. Change user name and user folder name

Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...
  7. Change the users name in folder

Change the users name in folder: I want remove the space in folder's name: C:\Users\Arbnor Gashi\Desktop\Master_Thesis\Write\Thesis. The space between name and last name should be removed because it doesn't work for a statistical program. I changed my account name but this name doesn't change in...
  8. Changed Folder Permissions To My User Name In Safe Mode.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changed Folder Permissions To My User Name In Safe Mode.: Hi all I do not have a great knowledge of folder permissions. I hope i have not made a silly mistake, if this is the case then i am fine with my decision to change the folder permissions out of curiosity. Here is what i did. After noticing some changes in folder...
  9. change a user name folder

change a user name folder: how do I change a user name folder in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-a-user-name-folder/7413f37f-1efb-44a8-9a97-24132b3ad0f8
  10. Changing my USERS folder name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changing my USERS folder name: Windows 10 currently on the Fall Creators update. When I got my new notebook, I was having a problem with the Windows Store. A Microsoft tech determined that my user profile was messed up, added a new account, and deleted the problematic one. all was good. The problem...