Windows 10: Changed hardware - lost activation key

Discus and support Changed hardware - lost activation key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, Hope someone can assist. My computer suddenly stopped working after running a Windows update. I had isolated the issue to a fried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by readymonster400, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Changed hardware - lost activation key

Hello,

Hope someone can assist.

My computer suddenly stopped working after running a Windows update.

I had isolated the issue to a fried motherboard.

Got a new motherboard, cpu, memory etc.

Got everything up and running and now I have an issue with needing to activate Windows.

I ran the Activation Troubleshooter and went through the 'I recently changed my hardware' sequence.

The list of hardware shown in the list however is not the hardware I am currently running.

I am at a loss as to how I can reactivate Windows.

I had gotten Windows 10 when it was a free upgrade some years ago.

Thanks all

:)

readymonster400, Apr 6, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 6, 2020
  3. Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Apr 6, 2020
  4. kryptoxd Win User

Changed hardware - lost activation key

Activating windows after losing product key and performing a hardware change.

Long story short, I purchased this computer in its entirety off of someone from Craigslist so naturally, I have no possibility of tracking them down. The PC never came with a manual or, in this case, a product key. Years later (today), I do major hardware
    changes, which entail purchasing absolutely every component besides the SSD with Windows 10 installed to it. Now I'm using this brand new PC but I'm stuck with either having to pay for a new version of windows or stick it out with the Activate Windows watermark
    forever on my screen.

To sum it up, lost product key with no chance of getting it back, had major hardware change, however I used to sign in with a Microsoft account and the "About Windows (run: winver)" tab lists that the product is listed under my email (which is my Microsoft
    account). How can I activate windows using my email as proof that it's a legitimate copy of the OS?

kryptoxd, Apr 6, 2020
Thema:

Changed hardware - lost activation key

1. Changed hardware - lost activation key - Similar Threads - Changed hardware lost

2. Lost product key after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Lost product key after hardware change: I have upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to windows 10 pro using a digital licence 2 years back. But after a hardware failure i had to replace motherboard. Now windows is showing "Activate windows" but i haven't noted down the product key, What is the solution?...
  3. Lost product key after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost product key after hardware change: I have upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to windows 10 pro using a digital licence 2 years back. But after a hardware failure i had to replace motherboard. Now windows is showing "Activate windows" but i haven't noted down the product key, What is the solution?...
  4. Lost product key after hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to activate key after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to activate key after hardware change: Hi,I've upgraded my system after a long time, I have a product key which I used on the previous system, but when I try to activate it I get the error code 0x803fa067, saying that I cannot activate this version of windows with my product key.I've seen in my account that the...
  6. Unable to activate key after hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to activate key after hardware change: Hi,I've upgraded my system after a long time, I have a product key which I used on the previous system, but when I try to activate it I get the error code 0x803fa067, saying that I cannot activate this version of windows with my product key.I've seen in my account that the...
  7. Unable to activate key after hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Activation of Win Key to change hardware?

Activation of Win Key to change hardware?: Hey, I changed my mainboard and CPU yesterday and now I have the following problem. My Windows Key is not recognized. (win 10) Have tried to reactivate it, these are the steps in the settings menu: Troubleshooting > I recently changed my hardware > then my Win key is...
  9. Lost activation key!

Lost activation key!: I threw away my activation key last year and now am installing faster RAM and Windows is asking for my activation key, which I no longer have. Can you buy a new key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-activation-key/c1ffb953-d28b-4b22-a301-bd40c574f617
  10. Lost production key after hardware change

Lost production key after hardware change: Hello. So i recently bought and installed a new motherboard with cpu and rams. And were about to clean up my documents for a fresh install, when sudden my windows activation was "lost"? My windows 10, was the "free" update from Microsoft, which was updated from my windows 7...