Windows 10: Changed laptop's HDD to SSD, want to transfer windows 10 key

Discus and support Changed laptop's HDD to SSD, want to transfer windows 10 key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm typing this on the laptop right now. HDD it came with was the slowest hard drive I've ever encountered in my life, so I've swapped it out for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JoshieWashua, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Changed laptop's HDD to SSD, want to transfer windows 10 key

I'm typing this on the laptop right now. HDD it came with was the slowest hard drive I've ever encountered in my life, so I've swapped it out for a snappy SSD. Rather than cloning it to the SSD, I did a clean install, because I don't want all of acer's bloatware.

I've read that my laptop must have come with a Win 10 OEM key, and that those aren't transferable between different systems. Because this is the same system, with only a different hard drive, will it work? And how do I do it if I can?

I'm using unlicensed windows 10 right now, and I'm wondering if I can use the key that my original hard drive still has on it.

Of course the laptop didn't come with a key on the bottom, or in the manuals, like older versions of windows did.

Thanks *Cool

:)

JoshieWashua, Dec 9, 2016

2. Using the same product key twice on the same pc

I recently brought an ssd for my laptop and i want the windows to be installed on the ssd rather than on the hdd. Can i use the same product key to install windows on ssd. Or is there anyway to transfer windows from hdd to sdd??

rajbir_dhanoa, Dec 9, 2016
  3. Window 10 Home OEM , HDD to SSD transfer(Move)

I just want to move my Window 10 home OEM from my HDD to SSD. so i clone my window to SSD. change 1st boot priority to SSD. but when i try to start my Laptop its boot from HDD not from SSD. so without boot from SSD i can't format HDD system partition and
    can't use SSD as system

ravi kalathiya, Dec 9, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Changed laptop's HDD to SSD, want to transfer windows 10 key

How did you install the unlicensed Windows 10?

Please post the results of showkey plus from this forum. Click on the product keys to blank them out before posting:
    ShowKeyPlus - Windows 10 Forums

Changed laptop's HDD to SSD, want to transfer windows 10 key [​IMG]

Also, right click on the start icon, select Command Prompt (Admin). In the Command Prompt window run:

slmgr /dlv

Please post the result that should look like this:

NavyLCDR, Dec 9, 2016
  5. Changed laptop's HDD to SSD, want to transfer windows 10 key [​IMG]

This first image, above, is the licensed copy, which I assume you were asking for.

This second screenshot is of the unlicensed copy.

I installed this copy to the SSD by downloading the windows 10 media device files to a flash drive, and booting from there.

I didn't realize that what I had to begin with was home, and not pro. But that's okay.

Thanks for replying, and sorry if mine was late.

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You installed Windows 10 Pro. You are only entitled to Windows 10 Home. That is why it won't activate. You have to reinstall Windows 10 Home. Make sure it is not the single language edition or the N edition. Just plain Windows 10, but Home instead of Pro.

The plain Windows 10 ISO download from Microsoft contains both Home and Pro.

NavyLCDR, Dec 9, 2016
  7. So if I install home, then when it asks for a key, I use the OEM key that keyfinder gives me, windows will be licensed and working?

8. NavyLCDR New Member

Yes, it should be.

NavyLCDR, Dec 9, 2016
  9. Alright, I'll give it a shot. Thank you so much *Smile

10. Superfly Win User
    You won't be prompted for key entry - Windows will auto install Home from an iso file that has Home included.

Superfly, Dec 9, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Which had me wondering the whole time how the OP ended up with Windows 10 Pro installed.... Windows setup should have detected the product key for Home and not gave the choice to install Pro. Unless it was build 10240 Pro they had downloaded.

NavyLCDR, Dec 9, 2016
  12. You're right, this time it never asked me for a code, or which version, it says that windows home is activated with a digital license linked to my account. Thank you!!

13. Superfly Win User

...and that's the weird part - why have a Win 10 OEM Home licence then get a digital activation? Seems to me more and more that the old key activation method is being phased out.

Superfly, Dec 9, 2016
  14. CmmTch Win User
    When I was trying to upgrade install from 1511 to AU 1607 it didn't give a choice, I upgraded/replaced my motherboard and did a clean install (with your help) I booted from a USB with Kyhi's recovery tools, after deleting partitions I clicked on the W10 setup and was given the choice of Pro or Home.

I believe when a clean install is done with the iso since it has both Pro and Home on it, the user is given a choice because the iso has no way of knowing what (if anything) was there before. If I remember correctly Pro is listed first so it would be easy to accidently pick it.

CmmTch, Dec 10, 2016
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    The reason you were given the choice was because there was no Windows product key in the UEFI/BIOS for Windows 10 to detect. Except for the initial build 10240 - if Windows 10 detects a product key in UEFI/BIOS (or the user enters a Product Key when asked for it), Windows 10 setup will use that product key to determine which edition to install and not ask the user. Also, if Windows 10 setup detects a product key in UEFI/BIOS, it will not ask the user to enter one.

There have been many of us who have done upgrades to Windows 10 Pro on our computers that have product keys for Home in the UEFI/BIOS. When we do clean installs, Windows 10 will install Home by default, unless we put a product key for Pro in a PID.txt file to force the Pro install.

@alphanumeric will confirm this.

NavyLCDR, Dec 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Changed laptop's HDD to SSD, want to transfer windows 10 key - Similar Threads - Changed laptop's HDD

2. Transferring Windows 10 to a SSD from a HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring Windows 10 to a SSD from a HDD: I'd like to install Windows 10 on a new internal SSD and use the current HDD for data storage only. Can the Windows 10 Installation Media tool be used to remove Windows from the HDD and install it on the new SSD, leaving all files and folders on the HDD. When I install any...
  3. Transferring Windows 10 to a SSD from a HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring Windows 10 to a SSD from a HDD: I'd like to install Windows 10 on a new internal SSD and use the current HDD for data storage only. Can the Windows 10 Installation Media tool be used to remove Windows from the HDD and install it on the new SSD, leaving all files and folders on the HDD. When I install any...
  4. Transferring Windows 10 to a SSD from a HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Window transfer - HDD to SSD

Window transfer - HDD to SSD: Hello Everyone, I want to upgrade my 4yr old laptop's drive from HDD to SSD as it will improve my systems performance. I want to install a fresh Window 10 on SSD but unable to find my 'Window key' currently using window 10. Is there any way through which I can make...
  6. Transferring Windows 10 from an HDD to an SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring Windows 10 from an HDD to an SSD: Hey, I'm looking to transfer over my Windows 10 from an HDD in my computer to the SSD in my computer. I already have both installed. Would all I need to do is to download Windows 10 on a USB stick? Sorry I have never done this before. Since the HDD is going to stay into my...
  7. transfer of windows 10 from hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    transfer of windows 10 from hdd to ssd: I have windows 10 pre installed on my laptop, OPM. it now on my hdd, I want to transfer it from hdd to ssd which I install by myself . is it possible? or not? if possible please explain the process....
  8. Transfer SSD to HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer SSD to HDD: Is it possible to transfer all the data from my SSD to my HDD? I've been looking for a way to this, but haven't found a way to do so. submitted by /u/Sl0thZombi3s [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hpzv4w/transfer_ssd_to_hdd/
  9. HDD to SSD change, Want to install Windows 10 in SSD

HDD to SSD change, Want to install Windows 10 in SSD: Hello There, I have purchased a laptop Model: 81DE(Lenovo Ideapad330-15IKB U) with preinstalled genuine windows in it activated by digital lisense. Now I have installed SSD drive and want to install Windows 10 into the SSD drive, How to install windows 10 into that drive??...
  10. HDD to SSD change in OEM windows 10 laptop

HDD to SSD change in OEM windows 10 laptop: First post in this community ! So, I own a HP laptop which came with windows 8 home activated, i updated it with windows 10 a few years back. Recently I was facing performance issues, so decided to change the 512 GB HDD with new 240 GB SSD. The laptop's internal components...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. changed ssd and window 10 changed to home