Windows 10: Changed MB, 10565 no more actvated.

Discus and support Changed MB, 10565 no more actvated. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So I had to change MB today and my 10565 is not activated any more. A bit of history for anybody new. I have been an insider since day one,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by CountMike, Oct 26, 2015.

1. CountMike New Member

Changed MB, 10565 no more actvated.

So I had to change MB today and my 10565 is not activated any more.
    A bit of history for anybody new.
    I have been an insider since day one, faithfully upgraded at each instance and this 10565 is hailing from 10240 (last clean installation). Same MS account from the beginning.
    Also have 10240 upgraded from W8.1 (Retail) which stayed activated.
    Tried:
    Checked my MS (hotmail) account, asked, got and entered new security code.
    Tried re-entering the key, not accepted.
    Switched to Slow Ring and back to fast, no dice.
    Possible ideas:
    Stop Insider preview Builds and eventually start again.
    Do a clean install of 10565.
    Any more ideas ?

:)

CountMike, Oct 26, 2015
  2. BobFugere Win User

Edge security problem

To all that are reading this. The https changing to http in Edge's favorites has now been fixed with the new update th2_release Professional 10565. Also, had no problems with the updating to 10565 at all. I have a Gigabyte Z77X-DH3 MB, 16 GB ram, i7
    cpu and a HDMI 24" TCL TV as a monitor and speaks. Good luck to all....Bob

BobFugere, Oct 26, 2015
  3. Windows 10 creates devices named "PC" on account every restart.

I tried build 10565. Nothing changed. Still the same problems.

Wojciech Karnasiewicz, Oct 26, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

Ok Mike let me see if I understand now:

• You installed a new motherboard.
    • You then installed Windows 8.1 with a retail key and it was activated.
    • You then installed upgraded to Windows 10 current build(100240) and it activated.
    • Now you want to upgrade to the current fast ring build.

Cliff S, Oct 26, 2015
  5. CountMike New Member
    Not all of that.
    Installed new MB.
    One SSD has 10565 on it, didn't do anything to it, old installation that was on previous MB. It was never upgraded from 8.1 just had perpetual upgrade since beginning of insider program. Last clean install was 10240 with all of the others in between.
    Second SSD has 10240 upgraded from 8.1, that one stayed activated, didn't have anything to do to activate.

CountMike, Oct 27, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    The 10240 stayed activated even though (with a new mobo) it's a new computer?*Shock

Same as above it is technically a new computer, so theoretically you would have to start from scratch, or do like I am in a VM, and just don't activate and test each build as it comes out till it either get's naggy-nervy or stops functioning.

Cliff S, Oct 27, 2015
  7. CountMike New Member
    Yes, 10240, no problem, I figure it's because 8.1 was retail. That 8.1, upgraded from W7 for cheap at very beginning also stayed activated with previous change of MB. just had to re-enter registration.
    I don't know what's their problem with insider builds, why does it matter to MS which MB it's on ? I also have that same MS account for many years now, I'd say at least since first days of XP.

CountMike, Oct 27, 2015
  8. Cliff S New Member

I still have problems understanding the activation and key system, as I always had OEM when it came to windows. You know whos good with this kind of stuff? @alphanumeric!

Cliff S, Oct 27, 2015
  9. Superfly Win User
    Good to know... so it seems even with digital entiltement, the retail upgrade retains transferability (even with a mobo change, btw Mike, was it a similar model?)

I guess had it been an OEM upgrade, it would have given the same result as the Insider build.

Superfly, Oct 27, 2015
  10. CountMike New Member
    MB models are similar but not the same, my 3 recent upgrades by chipsets, 780 - 890 - 990 (all AMD), Athlon II x2 270 -Phenom II x4 965Be but that should not matter because even exact same models/makes, each one has unique serial and MAC numbers so it's essentially different machine as far as MS is concerned.
    OEM is tied to those numbers but retail has to be free to use on any computer as long as it's used on one only, that's why it costs much more than OEM. In some countries, like Germany, even OEM has to be transferable by law.

CountMike, Oct 27, 2015
  11. Gary Win User
    Just upgrade the RTM, to 10565 . It may work.

12. CountMike New Member
    I'll try that and/or also clean install of 10565 if I can't find better way. I have pile of programs installed so it would be a whole day or more wasted if I had to do that. I've collected ISOs of all the insider versions since the beginning.

CountMike, Oct 27, 2015
  13. Superfly Win User

Yup, I have seen a report of licence transfer between similar model HP machines before - thus wonder whether serials #'s actually make up that much of the HWID.

Superfly, Oct 27, 2015
  14. CountMike New Member
    Brand name computer manufacturers can hard code those numbers to be exactly same in case of replacement for warranty or spare parts. I know how to change MAC address but never tried to change serial numbers in BIOS. Other parts, even on MB, the Plug&play (some call it Plug&pray), also have a rudimentary BIOS so they may contain some serial numbers too.
    Looks like MS changed their game for W10, no idea what they use to differentiate one MB from other.

CountMike, Oct 27, 2015
  15. CountMike New Member
    So, nothing yet new with my activation. Tried entering reg from W8/8.1 ( in all known ways) that I already upgraded to 10 but it wouldn't accept it. Decided to do a clean installation of 10565 using same credentials but that one wouldn't activate either. Sent an enquiry to MS but no answer yet.
    It's a bit stupid from them to cut me off from Insider program or at least make it difficult to keep on testing because on non-activated 10 I can't do any customizing etc. and to keep sending suggestions any more so there's no reason to keep on testing as it is. Is it bam-bam, thank you ma'am as far they are concerned ?
    Wander if it would work if I started from 10240 or one before ?

CountMike, Oct 28, 2015
Thema:

1. Changed MB, 10565 no more actvated. - Similar Threads - Changed 10565 more

2. Windows 11 actvation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 actvation: Hi, I just recently built a new pc, and I am trying to activate my windows 10/11 pro digital license that I bought in 2019 from the microsoft store. I am so fed up with trying to call support, every single call gets disconnected after being on hold for 20+ minutes. I never...
  3. Changing MB Activation Question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Changing MB Activation Question: I am running Win 10 home on my PC and intend to change out the MB to update the system. What is the most reliable sequence to reinstall Win 10 on the new board so that I can successfully reactivate the installation with my existing license key. I ran slmgr -dli from the cmd...
  4. ACTVATION

ACTVATION: Personal computer ACER Veriton essential 52710G series RMN:D17E1 Rating: 100-240V-,6A,60/50Hz This device comlies with part 15 of the fcc rules Operation is subject to the following two conditions 1 This device must accept any interferenceand 2...
  5. windows actvation

windows actvation: please tll me how too actvate windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-actvation/798376bd-6c06-48c9-849a-c1c7c79a5877
  6. Actvation Windows 10

Actvation Windows 10: Hi I am having some trouble regarding my Windows 10 Activation. I got my laptop two years and all was well. Once, when I turned on my laptop, I had a watermark at the bottom of my screen saying 'Activate Windows'. I went into settings and tried to activate windows with...
  7. Changed MB and Windows not activated

Changed MB and Windows not activated: I recently changed my motherboard and windows was no longer activated. I purchased an upgrade to Win 7 Pro in 2013 then did a free upgrade to Win pro 10. It has worked fine for several years till the MB change. I've tried to reactivate but no record of purchase in my MS...
  8. Actvate windows

Actvate windows: Hi, I had a Dell Inspiron 530 since some years. The mother board went out of order. Yesterday I bought a second hand Oxtiplex 755 and put my hdd (from Inspiron Dell 530) into it. All was ok BUT now I receive the msg: "Activate Windows. Goto settings to activate Windows". I go...
  9. Updating to Build 10565

Updating to Build 10565: I've was on insider builds since the very beginning. Once 10240 came out I did a clean install. Now, when i opt into insider builds, I get no option to install 10565. Anyone know how to fix this? 27032
  10. Updating to build 10565

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updating to build 10565: My desktop found and installed build 10565 without any problem, even when I was just signed on with a local account. However my laptop on build 10547 does not appear to be able to find build 10565 regardless of whether I am signed on with a local or MS account. The...