Windows 10: changed motherboard and hdd to ssd and have my product key but cant reactivate windows 10

Discus and support changed motherboard and hdd to ssd and have my product key but cant reactivate windows 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; changed motherboard and hdd to ssd and have my product key but cant reactivate windows 10. I own a retail version but it still isnt working.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by nickf8, Dec 25, 2019.

1. nickf8 Win User

changed motherboard and hdd to ssd and have my product key but cant reactivate windows 10

changed motherboard and hdd to ssd and have my product key but cant reactivate windows 10.

I own a retail version but it still isnt working.

:)

nickf8, Dec 25, 2019

2. win 10 motherboard change, reactivating windows

Hi Famie,

If you are planning to change your motherboard, you will still be able to activate your Windows 10. In Windows 10 version 1607, there is a feature that you can link your Microsoft account to Windows 10 digital license on your device.
    This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

That being said, we suggest that you follow the steps given on this article
    to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to "mark it as an answer" to help those are facing the same problem.

Janeane Cru, Dec 25, 2019
  3. Marcel Win User
    Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Once your key is registered with your motherboard you can always exchange the hdd for an ssd, just install it on the new ssd, after successful activation on your old hdd, windows will be activated on the new ssd.

Also a clean install with a windows 7 key will work, just skip the serial and afterwards go to change productkey and fill in the w7 key.

Marcel, Dec 25, 2019
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

changed motherboard and hdd to ssd and have my product key but cant reactivate windows 10

Reactivating retail Windows 10 pro after upgrading motherboard

Uninstalling the product key from the first computer accomplishes nothing, actually. It has no affect on the digital license for that computer stored on Microsoft's Activation Servers. Microsoft keeps track of how many times and how often a product key is INSTALLED. Removing a product key from a computer using slmgr /upk has no affect on that count. After the retail product key is removed, the generic product key could be used instead and that same computer would just reactivate itself with the digital license stored on Microsoft Activation Servers for it.

The best bet for @Keith Weisshar is just simply to use the retail product key to activate the new motherboard with just like any other simple install of Windows and not bother with doing anything with the old motherboard's Windows 10 installation. The requirement to comply with the EULA is only that the Windows installation be removed from the old computer before reusing the license on the new computer. When the old motherboard is disconnected from the hard drive/SSD, Windows has been removed from it. You can't change it's licensed status, however, because that is permanently stored on Microsoft Activation Servers.

NavyLCDR, Dec 25, 2019
Thema:

1. changed motherboard and hdd to ssd and have my product key but cant reactivate windows 10 - Similar Threads - changed motherboard hdd

2. CANT ACTIVATE MY PRODUCT KEY AFTER CHANGING MY MOTHERBOARD AND CHIPSET

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    CANT ACTIVATE MY PRODUCT KEY AFTER CHANGING MY MOTHERBOARD AND CHIPSET: My motherboard just broke recently, and i change to a newer version since it's been 8 years. Now i want to activate the windows, but it keeps telling me thisContact Support to Get help ?The product key for your device can no longer be used to activate Windows. If you think...
  3. Reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard and SSD change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard and SSD change: Hello,I just bought and installed a new motherboard and SSD in my PC. I installed Windows 10 on the new SSD and cannot get the activation done.I changed motherboards at least twice before without any issue. This time I'm having a lot of trouble. The "hardware change...
  4. Reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard and SSD change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard and SSD change: Hello,I just bought and installed a new motherboard and SSD in my PC. I installed Windows 10 on the new SSD and cannot get the activation done.I changed motherboards at least twice before without any issue. This time I'm having a lot of trouble. The "hardware change...
  5. Reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard and SSD change

6. Cant reactivate windows after motherboard change

Cant reactivate windows after motherboard change: I just got a motherboard upgrade and now I need to reactivate windows 10 Pro. I currently dont have the product key with me any more. Is there a way to reactivate my windows without my product key....
  7. Changed my motherboard cant activate windows 10 and cant find product key

Changed my motherboard cant activate windows 10 and cant find product key: I have just changed mother board and I cannot activate windows 10 on it I received windows 10 as a free upgrade from 8 but I can no longer find the product key...
  8. Windows 10 reactivation changed HDD to SSD

Windows 10 reactivation changed HDD to SSD: Hello, I just changed my storage from HDD to SDD and I used my old ISO copy of Windows 10 which I got from registering a reserved copy from an email I received from Microsoft a few years ago. I noticed Windows didn't automatically activate on my PC which is quite unusual. I...
  9. Changed my motherboard and CPU - cant reactivate windows 10 pro

Changed my motherboard and CPU - cant reactivate windows 10 pro: Have gone through the whole re-activate , pick pc etc and it fails. Logged into my account. I could see that I had 2 pc's with the same name and different hardware so thought that it was failing due to not being able to determine which to use. I removed the old pc stupidly as...
  10. windows cant reactivate after changing motherboard

in Windows 10 Support
    windows cant reactivate after changing motherboard: hi guys..can someone help me ? i recently change my motherboard and my windows cant reactivate using trouble shooter from activation tab. is there any solution for this? my windows version is 1803 build 17134.48 . thanks before 111304

Users found this page by searching for:

1. changed my hdd but cant use my windows product key