Windows 10: Changed motherboard and processor upgrade. Key died

Discus and support Changed motherboard and processor upgrade. Key died in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello All, I recently upgraded my motherboard and processor. After I put my old hard drive back in . I couldn't login with my pin. Then noticed windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by rico192, Sep 5, 2022.

1. rico192 Win User

Changed motherboard and processor upgrade. Key died

Hello All, I recently upgraded my motherboard and processor. After I put my old hard drive back in . I couldn't login with my pin. Then noticed windows wasn't activated anymore. I recently purchased a Windows 10/11 Pro key through the Microsoft store , but can not find the actual key. I have not found any way to chat Microsoft and or get the key restored. What do I do now?

:)

rico192, Sep 5, 2022

2. Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Redirecting

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Sep 5, 2022
  3. twolfer Win User
    Activated windows 10... then upgraded motherboard and processor.. how to activate again?

title says it all.. I upgraded to windows 10 on release day, then my motherboard died. Installed a new board and processor and now cant activate windows. How do I get activated again? Normally id look for the phone activation number.. but windows 10
    didn't provide me with a product key when I upgraded originally.

twolfer, Sep 5, 2022
  4. bobkn Win User

Processor upgrade

Looking at the CPU compatibility list for the board, it requires F40 or later to support the 3600. B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE U.S.A. The latest version is F50.

What's your BIOS version?

If it's a suitable rev, I suggest clearing the CMOS afetr swapping processors.

Best of luck.

bobkn, Sep 5, 2022
Thema:

1. Changed motherboard and processor upgrade. Key died - Similar Threads - Changed motherboard processor

2. New Motherboard and processor upgrade to Win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Motherboard and processor upgrade to Win11: I have bought a new motherboard and processor in order to upgrade to Win 11. Will I be able to keep existing programs and settings? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-motherboard-and-processor-upgrade-to-win11/c22d9f62-2bf1-423b-8060-890f8e5c117e
  3. New Motherboard and processor upgrade to Win11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Motherboard and processor upgrade to Win11: I have bought a new motherboard and processor in order to upgrade to Win 11. Will I be able to keep existing programs and settings? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-motherboard-and-processor-upgrade-to-win11/c22d9f62-2bf1-423b-8060-890f8e5c117e
  4. Changed motherboard and processor upgrade. Key died

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed motherboard and processor upgrade. Key died: Hello All, I recently upgraded my motherboard and processor. After I put my old hard drive back in . I couldn't login with my pin. Then noticed windows wasn't activated anymore. I recently purchased a Windows 10/11 Pro key through the Microsoft store , but can not find the...
  5. New Motherboard and Processor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Motherboard and Processor: Hello I have a new motherboard and processor. I had to do so because of hardware malfunction. I still have the old drive as I installed windows on a new one. Is there a way to get the old key off the old drive to activate the new windows or transfer the license on my account?...
  6. New Motherboard and Processor

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New Motherboard and Processor: Hello I have a new motherboard and processor. I had to do so because of hardware malfunction. I still have the old drive as I installed windows on a new one. Is there a way to get the old key off the old drive to activate the new windows or transfer the license on my account?...
  7. Changing Motherboard - Windows Key

Changing Motherboard - Windows Key: So I have an old Lenovo H430 that came with windows 8 and I upgraded to windows 10. Over time, I upgraded everything on the computer, lastly with a new motherboard/ram/case. Now there is basically nothing left of the Lenovo. Is there any way to move the windows key over...
  8. New motherboard & Processor

New motherboard & Processor: I have Windows 10 Home Anniversary update. I installed this OS by a free upgrade from Windows 7. I want to take the hard drive and put it in another tower that has a different motherboard, memory, and processor. What will I have to do to make sure the OS stays activated? 93672
  9. Motherboard is dying?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Motherboard is dying?: Hi all I have a problem and don’t know how to proceed. Here is what was happening: Running window 10, 2 ssd drives 1st one is just C and system reserve 2nd drive is divided into 3 D-E F on E I store 2 Macrium images I turned on my PC and it booted fine, as far as...
  10. MotherBoard and Processor Compatiblty

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MotherBoard and Processor Compatiblty: hi, i want to know that this processor will support this motherboard... core i3 6100T processor with Zebronics H61 motherboard thank you 95419