Windows 10: Changed motherboard, can't activate Windows now

Discus and support Changed motherboard, can't activate Windows now in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I just bought a brand new copy of Windows 10 Home from the Windows Microsoft Store last week. Today I had to swap my motherboard and now my copy of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TheOnlyJonto, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Changed motherboard, can't activate Windows now

I just bought a brand new copy of Windows 10 Home from the Windows Microsoft Store last week. Today I had to swap my motherboard and now my copy of Windows is no longer activated, despite being logged into my Microsoft account. I went to the activation screen>troubleshoot>"I changed hardware on this device recently" and it loads but then says "Unable to activate Windows" and something about the servers being down. I've been trying for hours now.

My only other option is to call support but the last time I did that I got connected with an Indian fellow who asked me for some product ID that was like 75 characters long and when I tried to relay it to him he had a hard time keeping up. I really don't want to have to mess with such a long string of numbers over the phone.

I really find it ridiculous and very disappointing that even after buying Windows directly from Microsoft they still can't allow me to transfer my license when I need to. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to jump through these hoops by buying directly from them. Not happy with my purchase.

Is there any other way to fix this without calling?

:)

TheOnlyJonto, Feb 5, 2019

2. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I built the PC myself and it is\was a retail Windows 8 Pro license upgraded to 10.

The guide listed that I should be able to transfer the license, and following the steps given when selecting "I recently changed hardware" in the activation process it does not list my previous device to select from.

My Microsoft account is logged in on both my old and new motherboard, and my old motherboard is unable to boot at all to deactivate or retrieve any keys.

If my license is indeed available for transfer, how can I proceed from here?

Thanks.

Libertherme, Feb 5, 2019
  3. Juzar_Ali Win User
    Windows 10 License (after motherboard change)

Hi Harsh,

Please be informed that your copy of Windows 10 should get activated automatically after changing the motherboard (once you enter the linked Microsoft Account details). But if you face any issues,
    I suggest you to go through Phone activation to activate your Windows 10 copy.

To run Phone activation please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + R key.

• Type slui 4 and hit enter.

• Select the Country or
      Region.

• Follow the on screen instructions.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have any further related query.

Thank you.

Juzar_Ali, Feb 5, 2019
  4. Changed motherboard, can't activate Windows now

windows activation after motherboard changed.

Hi Raed,

To reactivate your Windows 10 after changing your motherboard, we suggest that you check this
    article, and follow the Activation troubleshooter steps/instructions to resolve it.

Another possible resolution, you may refer to this thread, and look for
    Andre Da Costa's post.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

If you think this was useful, feel free to "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Michael Gall, Feb 5, 2019
Thema:

Changed motherboard, can't activate Windows now

1. Changed motherboard, can't activate Windows now - Similar Threads - Changed motherboard can't

2. Changed my Motherboard, now it can't activate my Windows Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed my Motherboard, now it can't activate my Windows Account: Hi, I've recently done a hardware upgrade and now it can't activate my previous Windows account. When I've followed the Troubleshoot guide it can't find my previous version of Windows either, it's showing I've never had it - I've had Windows on this PC since 2010/2011 and...
  3. Changed my Motherboard, now it can't activate my Windows Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed my Motherboard, now it can't activate my Windows Account: Hi, I've recently done a hardware upgrade and now it can't activate my previous Windows account. When I've followed the Troubleshoot guide it can't find my previous version of Windows either, it's showing I've never had it - I've had Windows on this PC since 2010/2011 and...
  4. Changed motherboard first one defective and now I can't activate windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed motherboard first one defective and now I can't activate windows: first one defective and now I can't activate windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changed-motherboard-first-one-defective-and-now-i/868d8e87-b0d5-41d4-ba1a-b75f9b5ff506
  5. I changed my motherboard and now I can't activate Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I changed my motherboard and now I can't activate Windows 10: I changed motherboards due to a problem with the original board but now my Windows 10 that was installed previous to the change is not activated. How can I get it activated. Windows 10 was stalled on this machine before the change. In fact it has been installed on this...
  6. Can't activate windows after changing motherboard

Can't activate windows after changing motherboard: I want to be able to personalize as well as get rid of the watermark, and I have a genuine copy of windows, but I swapped my motherboard so it doesn't recognize that. Unfortunately, I no longer have my product key. When I click the troubleshoot button, select i changed...
  7. Changed motherboard, now i cant activate

Changed motherboard, now i cant activate: Hello and thanks for any help I changed my motherboard the day before yesterday and I didn't know I should have taken measures beforehand. The problem is that I don't remember my account. I tried my regular mail but the code was wrong. But then my wife's mail popped up as a...
  8. Changed motherboard and now windows isnt activated

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changed motherboard and now windows isnt activated: Hi, I just recently changed my motherboard and cpu out for an upgrade and now windows is not activated, and I don't have my old motherboard anymore. I also tried transferring the key but it is not working...
  9. Changed Motherboard CPU and Ram windows is now not activated

Changed Motherboard CPU and Ram windows is now not activated: Hi I have been running an retail windows 10 pro on this PC for years which has been activated from new. I have just Changed Motherboard CPU and Ram and now windows is NOT activated nor can I activate it. I checked my MS account and it shows I have 2 devices both the same...
  10. changed motherboard - can't activate windows 10

changed motherboard - can't activate windows 10: Hello. I have a windows 10 Pro RETAIL license. I have upgrated my mobo, cpu and ram, and after installing of new drivers, windows is NOT activated anymore. I have tried the tool to reactivate my digital license, but after logging in, it says that the windows servers are...