Windows 10: Changed motherboard, gpu, cpu, ssd. License was linked to account, but windows does not find

Discus and support Changed motherboard, gpu, cpu, ssd. License was linked to account, but windows does not find in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello. I recently upgraded my PC from a MSI B250M Bazooka Pentium G4560 MSI GTX 1050 to: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max Ryzen 5 3600 PNY 2060 Super... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by IdhenC, Dec 18, 2019.

1. IdhenC Win User

Changed motherboard, gpu, cpu, ssd. License was linked to account, but windows does not find

Hello. I recently upgraded my PC from a

MSI B250M Bazooka

Pentium G4560

MSI GTX 1050

to:

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

Ryzen 5 3600

PNY 2060 Super

250GB SSD

The original PC was built by the store I bought it from (komplett.no). Before upgrading my parts, it said the license was linked to my Microsoft account. I have now logged into that account on my PC, and ran the troubleshooter. A "reactivate windows 10" window comes up, with the name of the old PC. My new PC doesn't show however, but it shows when I look at my account settings at account.microsoft.com.

If I were to guess I may have chosen the wrong Windows region when using the Windows Media Creation Tool? To clarify I am from Norway, and I assume the original license was Norwegian.

Thanks in advance Changed motherboard, gpu, cpu, ssd. License was linked to account, but windows does not find :)

:)

IdhenC, Dec 18, 2019
  2. harshsyd Win User

Windows 10 License (after motherboard change)

Hi, so recently I built a PC in 2014 and now the motherboard is starting to go really fishy and I can feel it is slowly going to die.

I've got Windows 10 Pro installed on my PC, with a Gigabyte Motherboard. It was upgraded from Windows 8 Pro. Apparently it is a RETAIL version if I check via "cmd: slmgr -dli".

Now in a few days there's two things I might do; Replace my faulty motherboard to a new one (same model) OR since it is a second fail, change the motherboard from Gigabyte to ASUS.

Now I've got a few questions;

• If I replaced my motherboard to same gigabyte model (except the serial/ID will change for sure), Windows will mostly fail to activate right? If I change/replace to another same model motherboard, can I reactivate Windows? (I tried this on my first fail
      last year, and installing win8 and re-upgrading allowed me to activate).
    • If I changed motherboard from Gigabyte to ASUS, will I still be able to reactivate Windows?
    I've got my license linked to my Microsoft Account. I've online that after a hardware fail/change I can still activate Windows after all.

Also I got some questions on how this account links work;

• So if I linked my License to my MS Account, I should be able to activate on a motherboard replacement right? (Gigabyte model) - by clicking "I changed hardware recently".
    • How about if I change Motherboard to an ASUS one, will I still be able to activate via using MS Account Link?

Also one my first fail; I cannot remember for sure but I think I just input my Windows 8 key into Windows 10 on my first-time replaced Gigabyte mobo and activation was fine.

ALSO: As my license is Retail; And a Retail license should allow transfer rights, wouldn't I be able to transfer my license anyway from my current motherboard to my new replaced/new company mobo? If so, how would I perform this step? Would
    I need to deactivate on this faulty mobo first or what so?

Thanks! I'm a bit confused!

harshsyd, Dec 18, 2019
  3. Haegely Win User
    Upgrading Motherboard and CPU

I bought a default Lenovo K450 a few years back that came with Windows 8 preinstalled. Well over the past few months I've upgraded the PSU, GPU, and moved too an SSD without much of a hassle since I was using the same motherboard and CPU. Well, I'm moving
    too a whole new upgrade and changing the case, motherboard, CPU, and adding a network card. My question is, once I've changed out all of the parts, will I need to reinstall Windows 8, or can I just install Windows 10 again like normal and follow the steps
    with customer support to establish the legitimacy of my previous Windows OS? I have the OEM and Product Key.

Haegely, Dec 18, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Changed motherboard, gpu, cpu, ssd. License was linked to account, but windows does not find

If I upgrade my motherboard/CPU will my digital license be valid?

Hello codebeastmode, *Smile

If this is for a retail license, then yes you could use the "Activation troubleshooter" to activate your linked digital license to your Microsoft account with the new motherboard/cpu.

*Arrow Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

Be sure you link your license to your Microsoft account before changing the motherboard/CPU.

*Arrow Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License | Windows 10 Tutorials

Brink, Dec 18, 2019
Thema:

1. Changed motherboard, gpu, cpu, ssd. License was linked to account, but windows does not find - Similar Threads - Changed motherboard gpu

2. Does a standalone license link with the motherboard?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Does a standalone license link with the motherboard?: Hello,I had installed a Windows standalone license on my laptop which originally had Linux OS. Now I want to switch the license to another laptop. I reset the OS and now want to remove Windows completely and install Linux. Will the license still be linked to the motherboard?...
  3. Does a standalone license link with the motherboard?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does a standalone license link with the motherboard?: Hello,I had installed a Windows standalone license on my laptop which originally had Linux OS. Now I want to switch the license to another laptop. I reset the OS and now want to remove Windows completely and install Linux. Will the license still be linked to the motherboard?...
  4. Does a standalone license link with the motherboard?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to find out the linked account for a licensed Windows 10

How to find out the linked account for a licensed Windows 10: Dear all,I have a Windows activation key and its ID, I have used it to activate Windows 10 Pro on an old PC. I don't have access to it anymore and I haven't remove the activated key. I can't remember if it was linked to a Microsoft account, so I can not use the key on my new...
  6. How to find out the linked account for a licensed Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to find out the linked account for a licensed Windows 10: Dear all,I have a Windows activation key and its ID, I have used it to activate Windows 10 Pro on an old PC. I don't have access to it anymore and I haven't remove the activated key. I can't remember if it was linked to a Microsoft account, so I can not use the key on my new...
  7. CPU and motherboard change?

CPU and motherboard change?: Hello i have a question if i want to change from a r5 1600 and b350m per vdh to a b450 Tomahawk max and a r7 3700x i can simply exchange this or do i have to reinstall Windows 10? CPU und Mainboard wechsel?
  8. License and changing motherboard

License and changing motherboard: Hi Guys I am changing motherboard soon and I heard that Windows 10 store license in the motherboard ? how and where it was stored ? how to move license to new motherboard ? Thanks 150648
  9. CPU + Motherboard Change, can't reactivate digital license

CPU + Motherboard Change, can't reactivate digital license: I changed my motherboard and CPU, and now Windows needs to be activated. My Activation tab in the system settings looks like this: [ATTACH] I am signed in with my Microsoft account. I click on troubleshoot and it shows the devices attached to my account. I select the device...
  10. Activation w/digital license linked to MS Account after motherboard change

Activation w/digital license linked to MS Account after motherboard change: Hi, Yesterday I received new motherboard. My current Windows 10 Pro is w/digital license linked to MS account. I am one of the participants of the Windows Insider Program. My question is, because I need to reinstall my Windows complete and to prepare for my work, do I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. is windows linked to my motherboard or ssd