Windows 10: Changed motherboard, unable to activate windows 0x80072ee7

Discus and support Changed motherboard, unable to activate windows 0x80072ee7 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello. My old motherboard broke, so I bought a new one. I have a backup of my key, which I got from my old HP prebuilt. I tried putting it in, but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Askejm, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Askejm Win User

Changed motherboard, unable to activate windows 0x80072ee7

Hello. My old motherboard broke, so I bought a new one. I have a backup of my key, which I got from my old HP prebuilt. I tried putting it in, but I get this error In troubleshoot, I chose I changed my hardware recently but my computer doesn't appearI am signed into my current device. Not with onedrive though, but it shows up just fine in my account. Does anyone know the fix? Also, I once clicked an upgrade to pro in a debloater script, if that is the issue would it be possible to restore the activation service?

:)

Askejm, Apr 21, 2022

2. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I built the PC myself and it is\was a retail Windows 8 Pro license upgraded to 10.

The guide listed that I should be able to transfer the license, and following the steps given when selecting "I recently changed hardware" in the activation process it does not list my previous device to select from.

My Microsoft account is logged in on both my old and new motherboard, and my old motherboard is unable to boot at all to deactivate or retrieve any keys.

If my license is indeed available for transfer, how can I proceed from here?

Thanks.

Libertherme, Apr 21, 2022
  3. Activating windows 10 error code 0x80072EE7

I have changed my motherboard recently and the windows activation fails giving a server connection error 0x80072EE7

Salinda Munasinghe, Apr 21, 2022
  4. Tenforo Active Member

Unable to activate windows 10 after changing motherboard

Hi William,

Thanks for replying so fast to my issue.

I followed the steps from the troubleshooter, and I reach the page where it asks me "Select this device from below". The problem is that my new device (a Gigabyte motherboard) doesn't show up on the list, only my previous motherboard (MSI).

When go to https://account.microsoft.com/devices/ my new device is listed, as is my old one, but I don't seem to be able to make the new device pop into the list to transfer the license.

Do I have to select my old MSI motherboard from the list, and then press "activate"?

FYI: My license key is one that was upgraded from windows 8.1. I do have a product/license key of that version, but it is not accepted when I try to change my product key. It finishes in an error code 0xc004f050

Tenforo, Apr 21, 2022
Thema:

1. Changed motherboard, unable to activate windows 0x80072ee7 - Similar Threads - Changed motherboard unable

2. Changed motherboard, unable to activate windows 0x80072ee7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed motherboard, unable to activate windows 0x80072ee7: Hello. My old motherboard broke, so I bought a new one. I have a backup of my key, which I got from my old HP prebuilt. I tried putting it in, but I get this error In troubleshoot, I chose I changed my hardware recently but my computer doesn't appearI am signed into my...
  3. Changed motherboard, unable to activate windows 0x80072ee7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed motherboard, unable to activate windows 0x80072ee7: Hello. My old motherboard broke, so I bought a new one. I have a backup of my key, which I got from my old HP prebuilt. I tried putting it in, but I get this error In troubleshoot, I chose I changed my hardware recently but my computer doesn't appearI am signed into my...
  4. unable to activate after changing motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    unable to activate after changing motherboard: Hi, I have been upgrading the motherboard and harddisk of my 2 Win 10 desktops in the past weeks. After a lot of technical hurdles, I finally got one up and running, and no issue with re-activation of Win10 for the one I use at Home Win10 homeHowever, the desktop in my office...
  5. Unable to activate after changing motherboard

Unable to activate after changing motherboard: Following a crash - burning out both mobo and psu - I installed a new ASUS A320M mobo with A8 cpu and 8G RAM, and a 256G M2 drive.Windows 10 pro installed without a hitch - but would not maintain a connection to the ethernet. SO I installed the chipset drivers from the ASUS...
  6. Unable To Activate Windows Error Code: 0x80072EE7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable To Activate Windows Error Code: 0x80072EE7: Hello back in 2017 I got myself a windows 10 laptop, its been a great tool but recently I used a HWID spoofer so that I could access certain content safely after this my windows became un-activated because I spoofed it, now that I have done all I need I wanted to re-input my...
  7. Unable to activate windows after motherboard change

Unable to activate windows after motherboard change: I am currently using a custom built PC and had replaced the motherboard because it had died due to a short circuit. Upon replacing the motherboard, windows now requires me to buy a whole new licence when I already have one tied to my account. I bought the OS back in 2018. I...
  8. Unable to activate windows after changing motherboard

Unable to activate windows after changing motherboard: I recently upgraded my hardware with a new motherboard. I was one of the many people who upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 years ago and never had any issues. When I changed the motherboard windows insists that I Activate my copy of windows again. I have tried to use...
  9. Unable to activate windows after a Motherboard change

Unable to activate windows after a Motherboard change: My computer went in for a change of the cooling unit which had failed. While in the shop and under testing the "found" a problem with my motherboard and had replaced that as well. However, upon doing this I have a message in the bottom of my screen saying that I need to...
  10. Unable to activate after changing motherboard

Unable to activate after changing motherboard: Hi all, Yesterday I finally installed my new Mobo and CPU. I got my Windows 7 retail disc and inserted the disc, and activated it just fine using the "9 boxes of code" with phone activation. Then, I installed Windows 10 using a USB bootable. However, I could NOT...