Windows 10: Changed motherboard, unsure if I can reactivate Windows 10

Discus and support Changed motherboard, unsure if I can reactivate Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently replaced the Motherboard in my computer. Shortly after getting things back set up, I started getting messages prompting me to reactivate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Heaunohj{2, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Changed motherboard, unsure if I can reactivate Windows 10

I recently replaced the Motherboard in my computer. Shortly after getting things back set up, I started getting messages prompting me to reactivate Windows 10 and have an "Activate Windows" message permanently in the lower right of my screen. I looked up this page and followed the directions:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-changea

When I got to the list of devices to reactivate, the only one listed is a laptop. My desktop isn't listed at all. There's also this message:

"If you're not seeing your current device, make sure you're signed in with the same Microsoft account you linked to the Windows 10 digital license on this device."

My computer is custom built and my copy of Windows 10 is OEM. From what I can tell, that means I can no longer reactivate Windows 10. Is this the case? Would I have to purchase a new license to continue using a valid copy of Windows?

And to clarify, I am logged in as admin.

:)

Heaunohj{2, Oct 18, 2019

2. win 10 motherboard change, reactivating windows

Hi Famie,

If you are planning to change your motherboard, you will still be able to activate your Windows 10. In Windows 10 version 1607, there is a feature that you can link your Microsoft account to Windows 10 digital license on your device.
    This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

That being said, we suggest that you follow the steps given on this article
    to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to "mark it as an answer" to help those are facing the same problem.

Janeane Cru, Oct 18, 2019
  3. Motherboard change unable to reactivate Windows 10 Pro -

I have searched this topic and everything seems to be almost a year old. This is a homebuilt machine circa 2015. It started with an ASUS FM2+ motherboard with an AMD A5600K processor. It was Windows 7 Pro, upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro then to Windows 10 Pro.
    Saturday the motherboard died. An exact replacement could not be located so a Gigabyte card was installed. No changes to the hard drives. Booted the machine and Windows automatically started and then did a "revert" then installed the latest updates. C Drive was in the red so I deleted all of the old install files using Windows Clean-up. Went to reactivate, checked the significant hardware change and entered my MS account information - The computer (none of my computers) were listed and now it is telling me that I have to spend $200 to buy a copy of Windows 10 Pro.
    Have not yet called Customer Support as the computer is at home and I work during the day -
    I do have a disk image or two that may be a year old -

Suggestions - should I just shell out the $200 and move on

TIA

Mickey53usa, Oct 18, 2019
  4. cereberus Win User

Changed motherboard, unsure if I can reactivate Windows 10

Motherboard change unable to reactivate Windows 10 Pro -

Activate using windows 7 pro key.

cereberus, Oct 18, 2019
Thema:

Changed motherboard, unsure if I can reactivate Windows 10

1. Changed motherboard, unsure if I can reactivate Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Changed motherboard unsure

2. I changed motherboard and can't reactivate Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I changed motherboard and can't reactivate Windows 10: I changed motherboard and can't reactivate Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-changed-motherboard-and-cant-reactivate-windows/5b252e40-5bc9-4669-95aa-6c25f3dca0d0
  3. I changed motherboard and can't reactivate Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I changed motherboard and can't reactivate Windows 10: I changed motherboard and can't reactivate Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-changed-motherboard-and-cant-reactivate-windows/5b252e40-5bc9-4669-95aa-6c25f3dca0d0
  4. I changed motherboard and can't reactivate Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Reactivating Windows 10 After Changing Motherboards

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivating Windows 10 After Changing Motherboards: Several years ago I purchased a Windows 7 Ultimate Key that I no longer have. A year or so ago I upgraded this computer to Windows 10. I recently purchased a new motherboard. Before I went to install and swap my hardware over I was worried about not having the key anymore, so...
  6. Changed Motherboard, CPU, and RAM, how can I reactivate windows 10?

Changed Motherboard, CPU, and RAM, how can I reactivate windows 10?: I changed out the motherboard along with the CPU and ram and now when i log into windows it has a little watermark that says 'Activate Windows' on the bottom right of my screen. When i go to settings it says no product key was found. When i click troubleshoot, it give me an...
  7. Reactivating Windows 10 After Motherboard Change

Reactivating Windows 10 After Motherboard Change: Hello, So last night I replaced the motherboard and CPU in my computer and I made sure to watch many videos on reactivating Windows 10 on your PC after a motherboard change. So, after watching those videos I linked my Microsoft account to my product key. I was really tired...
  8. Reactivating Windows 10 after motherboard change

Reactivating Windows 10 after motherboard change: I recently upgraded motherboard, the first one I received died very quickly after I first set it up. After returning it and getting a replacement I have been unable to activate Windows 10 Home using the activation troubleshooting wizard. I purchased a Windows 8 Home licence...
  9. Reactivate Windows 10 after changing motherboard.

Reactivate Windows 10 after changing motherboard.: Hello folks, hope someone may help me with this. I know this topic was already discussed before, but i still cant find an answer for myself. I had my Windows 7 upgraded to 10 with old pc. I just upgraded my pc with new motherboard,cpu and ram. Now i have trouble with Windows...
  10. Reactivating Windows 10 after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reactivating Windows 10 after motherboard change: I had a working computer with a fully paid Windows 10 Pro installed and it worked fine until the motherboard died. I replaced the motherboard only and windows started up immediately. I was then informed that the existing windows 10 had to be activated again. I do not know how...