Windows 10: Changed My computer name and restarting it gives "incorrect username or password" with ok...

Discus and support Changed My computer name and restarting it gives "incorrect username or password" with ok... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Window 10 V1903 dEsktop computer -Changed My computer name and restarting it gives "incorrect username or password" with ok button. Clicking on Ok... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by irtafaosman, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Changed My computer name and restarting it gives "incorrect username or password" with ok...

Window 10 V1903 dEsktop computer -Changed My computer name and restarting it gives "incorrect username or password" with ok button. Clicking on Ok gives me two signing options . I can log in using one. This is weired . Can anybody tell me what is going on?? Also I can see my PC on the home network with the old name even if I have changed the name.

:)

irtafaosman, Sep 7, 2019
  2. alanofoz Win User

Strange variation on The username or password is incorrect"

I recently changed my computer's name and now get "The username or password is incorrect" on startup.

Note that if I change the name back to the earlier name the problem goes away, so the name changing appears to be the cause.

More detail:-

With the new name, when I startup I see the welcome screen for a moment and then the error message appears together with an OK button. When I click OK, there are two instances of my name in the bottom left corner of the screen; it wants to sign in with a new "unwanted" one. If I select the "normal" one I can then enter my password and will be logged in with my Microsoft account credentials. But note that I haven't needed to do this until now as I have de-selected "Users must enter...." in netplwiz.

If I select the "unwanted" one I can sign in with my Microsoft account credentials which only achieves the same as the normal one with the extra requirement of needing to type my email address as well as my password.

Obviously, I want to be able to bypass this step altogether as my use of netplwiz demonstrates.

I have tried all the solutions I have found in sites like
    https://www.askvg.com/windows-10-fix...after-restart/
    and am now totally at a loss.

I'd be very grateful if anyone is able to help.

alanofoz, Sep 7, 2019
  3. Kari Win User
    Strange variation on The username or password is incorrect"

To log in automatically, Advanced User Account Control Panel (netplwiz) stores your username as \\ComputerName\UserName.

Let's say your computer name is PC-1 and username Alan, netplwiz will save it as \\PC-1\Alan. If you now change your PC name to PC-2, your username will be changed, too, it being now \\PC-2\Alan. However, netplwiz is still trying to log you in with \\PC-1\Alan, a username which does no longer exit.

Solution which should work is to select Users must enter a username and password in netplwiz, restart and log in with password, then unselect Users must enter a username and password in netplwiz. Automatic log in should work now.

Changed My computer name and restarting it gives "incorrect username or password" with ok... [​IMG]

Kari, Sep 7, 2019
  4. Changed My computer name and restarting it gives "incorrect username or password" with ok...

Username or password incorrect

I've previously run netplwiz from the command prompt to disable the sign in process in Windows 10.

Changed My computer name and restarting it gives "incorrect username or password" with ok... [​IMG]

Which worked fine in build 10049 but in 10158 & 10166 I now get this error message

I don't understand how this message can appear as no password has been entered at this stage.
    Pressing OK, or waiting 2 minutes results in this screen

Entering the PIN or password from the sign-in option continues the login process.
    Apart from starting again from scratch, any ideas on how to correct this.

WightWalker, Sep 7, 2019
Thema:

Changed My computer name and restarting it gives "incorrect username or password" with ok...

1. Changed My computer name and restarting it gives "incorrect username or password" with ok... - Similar Threads - Changed computer name

2. Change my computer's username

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change my computer's username: I recently had to have my computer operating system Windows 11 reinstalled. Somehow, a Windows update corrupted my SSD. When I got my computer came back, the username had been changed from my name to "User" How do I change it back to my name so that the lock screen has my...
  3. The Username or Password is Incorrect. Try again.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    The Username or Password is Incorrect. Try again.: Error message on startup at login: the username or password is incorrect. try again. This happens on two machines, one being the replacement for the other which will be restored and moved to a different location. The default user shown on startup is not and has never been...
  4. Changing PC name causes annoying incorrect username and password error

Changing PC name causes annoying incorrect username and password error: hello after i changed my pc name every signle time i reboot or boot up my pc i get this incorrect username and password error please help...
  5. Changing PC name causes annoying incorrect username and password error

Changing PC name causes annoying incorrect username and password error: hello i honestly need help, just currently changed pc name, now everytime i boot up my pc or restart it i get an error incorrect username and password error then i would have to input my windows email and pin loogin to my pc was a lot faster befor please help how...
  6. Windows 10 "Incorrect username or password"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 "Incorrect username or password": Hi hi, I recently had my computer (An Acer Aspire E5-576) blue screen (Critical Process Died error) and ever since then I haven't been able to log in to my computer when it starts. I had used a pin number before but after the crash it will only let me enter a password,...
  7. Username or Password incorrect when connecting to network computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Username or Password incorrect when connecting to network computer: I have 2 computers, C1 and C2, (both running Win10Pro - 1903) and 2 users, U1 and U2. U1 is the main administrator on C1 and C2 with the same login credentials on both computers. U2 is an added administrator on C1 and C2 with the same credentials on both computers. U2 can...
  8. Strange variation on The username or password is incorrect"

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange variation on The username or password is incorrect": I recently changed my computer's name and now get "The username or password is incorrect" on startup. Note that if I change the name back to the earlier name the problem goes away, so the name changing appears to be the cause. More detail:- With the new name, when I...
  9. The Username or password in incorrect. Try Again

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    The Username or password in incorrect. Try Again: The installation of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on my PC is only a couple of months old and was going fine until I decided I didn't need a Login password and unticked the relevant box in User Accounts. Now when I start the computer I get the following message on the startup...
  10. Username or password incorrect

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Username or password incorrect: I've previously run netplwiz from the command prompt to disable the sign in process in Windows 10. [img] Which worked fine in build 10049 but in 10158 & 10166 I now get this error message [img] I don't understand how this message can appear as no password has...