Windows 10: changed my motherboard how to use my old digital license to activate windows 10

Discus and support changed my motherboard how to use my old digital license to activate windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; changed my motherboard how to use my old digital license to activate windows 10. I have two microsoft accounts and I dont remember which has the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by IsaacB2, Nov 16, 2019.

1. IsaacB2 Win User

changed my motherboard how to use my old digital license to activate windows 10

changed my motherboard how to use my old digital license to activate windows 10. I have two microsoft accounts and I dont remember which has the digital license any way I signed in with the two accounts and when I try "change product key" I get error that this license used on another device

when I click on troubleshoot I get also that license used on another device 0x004c020. I no longer have access to the old device so how I can use my old digital license ?

:)

IsaacB2, Nov 16, 2019

2. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I built the PC myself and it is\was a retail Windows 8 Pro license upgraded to 10.

The guide listed that I should be able to transfer the license, and following the steps given when selecting "I recently changed hardware" in the activation process it does not list my previous device to select from.

My Microsoft account is logged in on both my old and new motherboard, and my old motherboard is unable to boot at all to deactivate or retrieve any keys.

If my license is indeed available for transfer, how can I proceed from here?

Thanks.

Libertherme, Nov 16, 2019
  3. Jguo65 Win User
    Activating Windows 10 with a digital license from a new SSD and new motherboard

Hi,

I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 and my windows settings say I have a digital license. I recently bought a new motherboard and new SSD. I cloned the OS from my old SSD to my new SSD and my PC can boot and I can log in, however it tells me that I need
    to activate windows. I was under the assumption that the digital license I had would follow my account, so when I would log in it would activate windows but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Do I need to deactivate the digital license on the previous motherboard/SSD first before I can reactivate on my new hardware? That is the only other explanation I could think of as to why this isn't working, but I don't want to deactivate my digital license
    on my old hardware only to have this issue persist on my current new hardware. Could I get confirmation? And if so, can I also get steps on how to properly dissociate my digital license from the old hardware before I can use it for my new hardware?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jguo65, Nov 16, 2019
  4. JimWynne Win User

Activating Windows 10 with a digital license from a new SSD and new motherboard

Disassociating isn't going to help if your Windows 7 license was OEM. Also note that the free upgrade 10 Windows 10 carried a similar condition: Windows 10 was to be free for the life of the device that was upgraded. Changing the motherboard means the
    end of the original device.

JimWynne, Nov 16, 2019
Thema:

1. changed my motherboard how to use my old digital license to activate windows 10 - Similar Threads - changed motherboard old

2. Changed my motherboard, can't use old activation key for windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed my motherboard, can't use old activation key for windows 10 pro: Hi! I just upgraded my CPU + motherboard, but now my windows is not activated. I was using windows 10 pro and had an OEM key for it, it worked well, but after upgrading, it deactivated. My windows got updated to windows 11 Pro because of some windows update, but it is still...
  3. Changed my motherboard, can't use old activation key for windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed my motherboard, can't use old activation key for windows 10 pro: Hi! I just upgraded my CPU + motherboard, but now my windows is not activated. I was using windows 10 pro and had an OEM key for it, it worked well, but after upgrading, it deactivated. My windows got updated to windows 11 Pro because of some windows update, but it is still...
  4. How to change my main device to activate the digital license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to change my main device to activate the digital license: Hello I recently purchased a PC. I want to activate my Windows on it and remove the activated one on my laptop. I bought a PC which is supposed to become my main computer and gift my laptop to a friend. Since I have a digital license on my Windows, I would like to change the...
  5. How to change my main device to activate the digital license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change my main device to activate the digital license: Hello I recently purchased a PC. I want to activate my Windows on it and remove the activated one on my laptop. I bought a PC which is supposed to become my main computer and gift my laptop to a friend. Since I have a digital license on my Windows, I would like to change the...
  6. How to change my main device to activate the digital license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Activate Windows 10 using Digital License after Hardware Change

Activate Windows 10 using Digital License after Hardware Change: Hello! I'm attempting to reactivate Windows 10 using a digital license tied to my account. When I use the troubleshooter, and select that I've changed hardware, and select my device, it states "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later." I get the feeling...
  8. Unable to re-activate Windows 10 digital license after a motherboard upgrade using a...

Unable to re-activate Windows 10 digital license after a motherboard upgrade using a...: I expected this to happen and before changing the motherboard I linked my microsoft account with my computer so the license would not be lost afterwards. But turns out something is not working as expected, because I cannot re-activate this computer with my license. The...
  9. New motherboard old mothoerboard fried can't seem to use my digital license activation

New motherboard old mothoerboard fried can't seem to use my digital license activation: well I can't seem to use my digital license activation linked on my microsoft account even though i removed the previous "device(motherboard" that was last used with...
  10. Invalid Digital License after motherboard change.

Invalid Digital License after motherboard change.: Hello Community. I've recently experienced various PC issues with a previous Rig of mine and decided to put together a new and moved my Hard Drive over to the new motherboard. After further troubleshooting, BSODs, and Resetting the PC out of frustration to get a clean...