Windows 10: Changed my motherboard, now it says Windows is deactivated.

Discus and support Changed my motherboard, now it says Windows is deactivated. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; How do I turn it back on? I can't troubleshoot it. That watermark is pretty ugly, and I really got spooked by the 'more susceptible to a virus'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by KaiGrieb, Dec 5, 2018.

1. KaiGrieb Win User

Changed my motherboard, now it says Windows is deactivated.

How do I turn it back on? I can't troubleshoot it. That watermark is pretty ugly, and I really got spooked by the 'more susceptible to a virus' message.

:)

KaiGrieb, Dec 5, 2018

2. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I built the PC myself and it is\was a retail Windows 8 Pro license upgraded to 10.

The guide listed that I should be able to transfer the license, and following the steps given when selecting "I recently changed hardware" in the activation process it does not list my previous device to select from.

My Microsoft account is logged in on both my old and new motherboard, and my old motherboard is unable to boot at all to deactivate or retrieve any keys.

If my license is indeed available for transfer, how can I proceed from here?

Thanks.

Libertherme, Dec 5, 2018
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    Windows 10 Pro's license completely glitched out after changing motherboard and CPU

We appreciate your reply. For us to know more about the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Did you manage to deactivate Windows 10 Pro first before replacing your motherboard?
    • Do you still have the written copy of your product key?
    • Are you using the same hard disk where your Windows 10 Pro product key has been activated? If not, where is this hard disk?
    • Did you replace your hard disk along with your motherboard and CPU?
    • What is the edition of Windows activated on your computer? To know, press Windows + S. Type About, and click it.

Meanwhile, we recommend that you deactivate and uninstall your Windows 10 Pro license from your old motherboard and reinstall it back on your machine using the steps below:

Step 1: Check your your Windows 10 Pro product key using Windows Powershell or Command prompt. Follow the steps below and note down your product key:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click Command Prompt (admin).
    • Enter the following command: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
      and press Enter:
    • The product key will be revealed, copy the product key.

Step 2: Deactivate and uninstall the Windows 10 Pro Product Key from the old motherboard since it has your license. Follow the steps below:

• To know the Activation ID of your Windows installation. Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr.vbs /dlv and press Enter. This will display the detailed license information for the installed operating system.
    • A window will open up and will give you details about your Windows licensing and activation status. Look for
      Activation ID and note it down.
    • On the same command prompt window, type in slmgr /upk <your Activation ID> and press
      Enter. This uninstalls the product key of the current Windows edition. After a restart, the system will be in an Unlicensed state unless a new product key is installed.

Step 3: Activate your Windows 10 Pro to your machine after uninstalling it due to a hardware change, follow the steps below:

• Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr /ipk <Windows Product Key> and press Enter.
    • If the key is valid and applicable, the key is installed. If a key is already installed, it is silently replaced. If the key is invalid, an error is returned.
    • Open your Control Panel you will see Windows is activated message.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Dec 5, 2018
  4. harshsyd Win User

Windows 10 License (after motherboard change)

Hi, so recently I built a PC in 2014 and now the motherboard is starting to go really fishy and I can feel it is slowly going to die.

I've got Windows 10 Pro installed on my PC, with a Gigabyte Motherboard. It was upgraded from Windows 8 Pro. Apparently it is a RETAIL version if I check via "cmd: slmgr -dli".

Now in a few days there's two things I might do; Replace my faulty motherboard to a new one (same model) OR since it is a second fail, change the motherboard from Gigabyte to ASUS.

Now I've got a few questions;

• If I replaced my motherboard to same gigabyte model (except the serial/ID will change for sure), Windows will mostly fail to activate right? If I change/replace to another same model motherboard, can I reactivate Windows? (I tried this on my first fail
      last year, and installing win8 and re-upgrading allowed me to activate).
    • If I changed motherboard from Gigabyte to ASUS, will I still be able to reactivate Windows?
    I've got my license linked to my Microsoft Account. I've online that after a hardware fail/change I can still activate Windows after all.

Also I got some questions on how this account links work;

• So if I linked my License to my MS Account, I should be able to activate on a motherboard replacement right? (Gigabyte model) - by clicking "I changed hardware recently".
    • How about if I change Motherboard to an ASUS one, will I still be able to activate via using MS Account Link?

Also one my first fail; I cannot remember for sure but I think I just input my Windows 8 key into Windows 10 on my first-time replaced Gigabyte mobo and activation was fine.

ALSO: As my license is Retail; And a Retail license should allow transfer rights, wouldn't I be able to transfer my license anyway from my current motherboard to my new replaced/new company mobo? If so, how would I perform this step? Would
    I need to deactivate on this faulty mobo first or what so?

Thanks! I'm a bit confused!

harshsyd, Dec 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Changed my motherboard, now it says Windows is deactivated. - Similar Threads - Changed motherboard says

2. Upgraded motherboard. Reactivated. Now deactivated again???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgraded motherboard. Reactivated. Now deactivated again???: I upgraded my motherboard and CPU. It's giving me the "We can't activate Windows on this device" issue.Did the whole troubleshooting, "I changed hardware on this device recently". Then took a while since it kept giving me the "We can't reactivate Windows as our servers aren't...
  3. Upgraded motherboard. Reactivated. Now deactivated again???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgraded motherboard. Reactivated. Now deactivated again???: I upgraded my motherboard and CPU. It's giving me the "We can't activate Windows on this device" issue.Did the whole troubleshooting, "I changed hardware on this device recently". Then took a while since it kept giving me the "We can't reactivate Windows as our servers aren't...
  4. Upgraded motherboard. Reactivated. Now deactivated again???

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Swapped motherboard and windows is deactivated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Swapped motherboard and windows is deactivated: I changed my motherboard without taking notes of my windows key so now my windows appears as deactivated.I tried to access the troubleshoot but it only gives me errors of not reaching the servers, also, a button to try through microsoft account doesnt even appear....
  6. Swapped motherboard and windows is deactivated

Swapped motherboard and windows is deactivated: I changed my motherboard without taking notes of my windows key so now my windows appears as deactivated.I tried to access the troubleshoot but it only gives me errors of not reaching the servers, also, a button to try through microsoft account doesnt even appear....
  7. Swapped motherboard and windows is deactivated

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. just bought a new motherboard for my computer, now windows 10 is deactivated

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    just bought a new motherboard for my computer, now windows 10 is deactivated: so a few years ago i got a completely pre-built gaming computer as a christmas present and it came with windows 10 installed as a part of it's large price tag around 1000 dollars. i don't understand pc building at all so i've been having a friend help me upgrade parts of my...
  9. Windows Deactivated After Motherboard Change

Windows Deactivated After Motherboard Change: I replaced a B350 MB with an X470. The boot drive is the same, CPU is the same, ram is the same, same GPUs, same extra SSDs. It's the same system except for the motherboard that I have had for about 3 years. Error code: 0xC004F211 I went through the "Troubleshoot" process...
  10. Changed motherboard and CPU and now windows is deactivated?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changed motherboard and CPU and now windows is deactivated?: I had heard of this issue before, but now it's happened to me. I've tried contacting microsoft about it, but every time I call the support number, I'm on hold for 30+ minutes and then I get the "Would you like us to call you back when someone is available" automated line. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. changed my motherboard windows 10 deactivated

2. windows deactivated after motherboard change

3. changed motherboard windows deactivated

4. changed motherboard and now windows is no longer enuine,
  5. a changed motherbopard and windows deactivated,
  6. I changed my motherboard. now windows 10 PRO still shows my old motherboard for activation,
  7. changed mobo now windows wont verify,
  8. changed my motherboard and now windows isnt activated