Windows 10: Changed my only user profile to 'Desktop' by mistake, how can I fix?

Discus and support Changed my only user profile to 'Desktop' by mistake, how can I fix? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; To provide some context, I was preparing my PC by changing the default locations of the folders such as Videos, Photos, Documents etc, so that they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by v2sly, Dec 26, 2020.

1. v2sly Win User

Changed my only user profile to 'Desktop' by mistake, how can I fix?

To provide some context, I was preparing my PC by changing the default locations of the folders such as Videos, Photos, Documents etc, so that they would be on my OneDrive on the C:\, which I had just moved across from my J:\ which I am replacing.

My Desktop 'location' was also set to my J:\ drive, for reasons I cannot remember. As mentioned, I am replacing my J:\ so I tried to change my Desktop 'location' (Via Desktop Properties (right click desktop icon in file explorer)).

This has however caused a problem where it has overwritten my 'user' under C:\users\.

Previously, my user was C:\users\jongun\

Now, it is C:\users\Desktop

If I go back into Desktop Properties, it recognises it as C:\Users\jongun\Desktop still, however, when I physically go to C:\Users, there is no 'jongun' and it's 'Desktop', with the Desktop Icon.

I have tried some research prior to making this plea for help, and the only action I have done since this nightmare of a mistake is go to Regedit - Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders, and changed 'Desktop' to ' %USERPROFILE%\Desktop, which was previously only %USERPROFILE%.

How can I fix this? I feel like I've hugely broken my Windows by doing this and don't want to lose anything!!

Any assistance would be hugely appreciated. Many thanks.

Edit: Screenshots provided to try and help.

Some screenshots to aid any understanding:

How C:\Users now looks:

Changed my only user profile to 'Desktop' by mistake, how can I fix? [​IMG]

Inside C:\Users\Desktop:

My Actual Desktop (This is literally all I have on my actual desktop, I try to keep it minimal):

My Desktop via 'This PC':

My Desktop Properties (part 1????):

My Desktop Properties (part 2????):

My Regedit:

:)

v2sly, Dec 26, 2020

2. Upgrade changed profile now desktop changed

just want to update - i followed the fix posted by Brink in this thread: windows 10 1709 has changed my default user profile Solved - Windows 10 Forums

everything is working fine now no problems for me!

for Step 10, where it says to change the profile image path, i changed it from C:\Users\bob2 to C:\Users\Bob Johnson and now it boots to my old desktop and all my files are in the right places.

bobjohnson, Dec 26, 2020
  3. deving Win User
    User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Dec 26, 2020
  4. LouiseYon Win User

How to change the Value data to 0 on a user profile.

I am trying to check user Value data to determine if my user profile has a corrupt profile. I tried to follow the steps I found in another question/answer and found it to be for Windows 7 not for Windows 10. All the step options could not be found. I can
    log on but when trying to open a program from the shortcut on my desktop it starts to open then just stops. I created another user profile and shared my programs and desktop to new user and can access my programs from there and work with them but would really
    like to find out why my user profile would not let me open the programs. while following the steps I had I was able to find the Security Identification folders but then it wanted me to double-click the ProfileImagePath and there was nothing there with that
    name. This step was to see if my user profile ended with .bak or .ba. Then I was to move on to the RefCount to set/change the Value data to "0". Can someone help me with the steps for Windows 10 to check for a corrupt user and how to fix it.

LouiseYon, Dec 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Changed my only user profile to 'Desktop' by mistake, how can I fix? - Similar Threads - Changed user profile

2. How can i reset my user profiles?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i reset my user profiles?: I have changed the name of my user folder and now it is causing problems as programs are installed in a different directory and the program files are saved in some other directory.HOW do i fix it and Is there a way to reset windows which will clear all the the user profiles...
  3. How can i reset my user profiles?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can i reset my user profiles?: I have changed the name of my user folder and now it is causing problems as programs are installed in a different directory and the program files are saved in some other directory.HOW do i fix it and Is there a way to reset windows which will clear all the the user profiles...
  4. How do I fix this mistake?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I fix this mistake?: this annoying error appears when I try to download the new versions of microsoft visual https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-fix-this-mistake/6dde0d42-b30f-48a1-b5e7-06588ff09c5d
  5. How do I fix this mistake?

How do I fix this mistake?: this annoying error appears when I try to download the new versions of microsoft visual https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-fix-this-mistake/6dde0d42-b30f-48a1-b5e7-06588ff09c5d
  6. How can I change my user profile folder name?

How can I change my user profile folder name?: Just got a new HP laptop with Win 11 home pre-installed. Before I had a Surface Pro 4. I bought a Seagate 2 TB drive for backup and file transfer. My Surface user profile name was JoeM c:\users\JoeM. When I set up the new laptop, Windows automatically set my user profile name...
  7. How can I change my user profile folder name?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I change my user profile folder name?: Just got a new HP laptop with Win 11 home pre-installed. Before I had a Surface Pro 4. I bought a Seagate 2 TB drive for backup and file transfer. My Surface user profile name was JoeM c:\users\JoeM. When I set up the new laptop, Windows automatically set my user profile name...
  8. Really stupid mistake with user profiles

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Really stupid mistake with user profiles: Made PC like a yr ago and was stupid and put my SSD as C: Drive. Today, realized i had no space left on it so I tried copying my user profile to my 2TB E: drive. After it copied I tried deleting from C: and now everything is messed up. I really don't know what to do if...
  9. How do I fix user profile error

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I fix user profile error: Why do I keep getting user profile error. I am also not able to sign it to office as it says I am not authorized. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-fix-user-profile-error/6c478dab-5702-448d-ab51-27de8ab9d36a
  10. Can I change the username, including user profile?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can I change the username, including user profile?: Acer Warranty Service returned my laptop with a username ‘acer’. It is important for me to synchronize it with another PC so I want to change this username to mine in my profile. I have already tried to change it through the Control Panel (User Accounts - Change your account...