Windows 10: Changed my programfilesdir and now I can't do anything

Discus and support Changed my programfilesdir and now I can't do anything in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello guys, So I tried to change the installation path of everything to my 2tb external D: drive becuz my hard drive only has 150gb. I did this:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by l4johnny, Apr 26, 2017.

1. l4johnny Win User

Changed my programfilesdir and now I can't do anything

Hello guys,

So I tried to change the installation path of everything to my 2tb external D: drive becuz my hard drive only has 150gb.

I did this:

Open regedit (Start > Run > "regedit"). Then find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion". Now look in the right pane. Change "ProgramFilesDir", "ProgramFilesPath", "ProgramW6432Dir" and "ProgramFilesDir (x86)". If your secondary drive letter is D:\, then change them to "D:\Program Files", "D:\Program Files", "D:\Program Files" and "D:\Program Files (x86)", in that order that I just mentionned. You should be good to go from here.

However I think I strayed too far from the path and goofed something up along the way because I cannot do anything on my computer that uses the c drive and when I try to go back to change it, regedit doesn't work. Also even tried to system restore and its just unresponsive and I can't do anything.

:)

l4johnny, Apr 26, 2017

2. After changing default install directory using Regedit, I cannot open Regedit, Task Manager, etc.

Hello,

Well yesterday i changed the default install directory using the regedit from run and then i changed just the drivers letter on ProgramFilesDir, ProgramFilesDir (x86) .. (i used this tutorial How do you change the default Installation Directory in Windows 7 64bit?)

From then my computer wont open task manager or regedit or anything from windows .. Is there anything i can do to undo what i ve done ?

<Original title - Problem >

PapadopsAlex, Apr 26, 2017
  3. Default Installation Directory Registry Values

In my attempt to change the default install drive for programs, I modified the related registry entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/WOW6432NODE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION. The Common files directories and program files directories were changed
    from C:\ to D:\. I noticed that for ProgramFilesDir and ProgramFilesDir (x86), the default directory for both is the Program Files (x86) folder. Wouldn't the default directory for ProgramFilesDir be Program Files as this is not (x86)? I hope this makes
    sense but I would be happy to clarify more if needed. Thank you for any assistance!

Ambition5253, Apr 26, 2017
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Welcome to the forum.

Microsoft does not support or recommend this procedure. It is provided for exceptional circumstances, not for general use. Unfortunately many Internet articles miss that part.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...registry-value

There are issues beyond those mentioned.
    Sorry, I do not have a solution for your problem.

LMiller7, Apr 26, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    You might be able to restore the backup copy of your registry, then reverse the regedit.
    No guarantees whatsoever. You are in perilous territory.

Otherwise you could try editing the registry offline. (You can research that).

Whether you'll end up with a reliable system is another matter.

If you had been using disk imaging, which we constantly and strongly recommend (e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) ) you could have restored your system from a previously created image relatively painlessly.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Changed my programfilesdir and now I can't do anything - Similar Threads - Changed programfilesdir can't

2. I can't do anything with my mouse.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I can't do anything with my mouse.: This started about 5 days ago. I suddenly wasn't able to do anything with my mouse: hover animations, left click, right click, scrolling. Sometimes whenever I click it acts like I'm clicking on another window. I've tried "sfc /scannow" but that only fixes in momentarily. I...
  3. Can't do anything now on windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't do anything now on windows: I had a problem opening *.exe files on windows 10 Home 64bits. Nothing worked because I was unable to run regedit or command as administrator, nor group policy or cmdinst, absolutely nothing. So I had to reset windows and delete everything using the options provided in...
  4. I can't do anything

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I can't do anything: I have downloaded the latest update few days ago, and today i suddenly my laptop restarted showing stopcode critical process died with loophole restarting When i even went in winRe and did all the possible things i was not able to do anything. Also i am not able to uninstall...
  5. I can't do anything.

I can't do anything.: So i just got a new pc like 3 hours ago and had the windows installed and everything. Suddenly, i am unable to open any applications. I can't open internet explorer or anything. I tried to google how to fix this problem when you can't open any applications but these solutions...
  6. I can't do anything

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I can't do anything: I don't have a active windows key I bought it from cyberpower and they gave a key with it but it never worked so now there is just a activate windows in the bottom right corner and on top of that I don't have admin powers I am for some reason on a guest account It happened...
  7. Now & then my cursor gets sluggish & I can't do anything on the screen. Why is that?

Now & then my cursor gets sluggish & I can't do anything on the screen. Why is that?: Every now & then, as I am working on the screen, the cursor suddenly gets sluggish and almost disappears from the screen. So I can't do anything. Meanwhile, the hard disk is whirring furiously. What is it doing. After some 10 minutes, the disk may slow down & the cursor...
  8. Recently changed my password to my laptop, now I can't save or edit ANYTHING. How do I...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Recently changed my password to my laptop, now I can't save or edit ANYTHING. How do I...: [ATTACH] As it said in the title, I changed my password recently (after a sextortion scam email scare prompted me into changing ALL my passwords - no viruses detected according to Windows Defender and I didn't click on any links nor did I open the email except in 'immersive...
  9. I changed my computer user profile from administrator to a user and now I can't do anything...

in Windows 10 Customization
    I changed my computer user profile from administrator to a user and now I can't do anything...: Earlier today I made the mistake of changing my user settings on my computer profile from administrator to user now I don't have permission to uninstall/ download things or change my profile back to an administrator, all I get is a message to enter administrator credentials...
  10. I can't do ANYTHING

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    I can't do ANYTHING: I logged on my laptop this morning and when I'm logged in I try to open up google chrome or spotify, but nothing works! I looked deeper into this and I tried fixing it but it didn't work. It's been around 2-3 days that I've been having this issue and I'd lile for someone...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. changed common files directories now cant use regedit

2. programfilesdir changed cant do anything