Windows 10: changed out motherboard, activation on windows was removed and wont let me reactivate it

Discus and support changed out motherboard, activation on windows was removed and wont let me reactivate it in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; so i switched out my motherboard a couple days ago and i noticed windows has completely removed my activation key. even when i use the "i changed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TheBreadBoii, Feb 22, 2020.

1. changed out motherboard, activation on windows was removed and wont let me reactivate it

so i switched out my motherboard a couple days ago and i noticed windows has completely removed my activation key. even when i use the "i changed harware recently" button, it just tells me "We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later. " what the hell do i do about this?

submitted by /u/TheBreadBoii
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TheBreadBoii, Feb 22, 2020

2. win 10 motherboard change, reactivating windows

Hi Famie,

If you are planning to change your motherboard, you will still be able to activate your Windows 10. In Windows 10 version 1607, there is a feature that you can link your Microsoft account to Windows 10 digital license on your device.
    This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

That being said, we suggest that you follow the steps given on this article
    to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to "mark it as an answer" to help those are facing the same problem.

Janeane Cru, Feb 22, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Unable to reactivate Windows after changing Motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that after changing the Motherboard you are unable to activate Windows. I’ll help you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

• What is the error message you receive when you try to activate Windows?
    • Did Windows 10 come preinstalled on your computer?
    • Were you using a Microsoft account to login to the computer?

Ideally, if Windows 10 comes preinstalled on the computer, the Product key is embedded in the Motherboard. In case Windows is reinstalled on the computer, it should get activated automatically. However, if any hardware changes (such as Motherboard
    or hard drive) is done on the computer, Windows will not be able to identify the license.

You may want to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article

Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

If you are receiving an error code, you may want to check the troubleshooting steps as per the error code mentioned in the article

Get help with Windows activation errors

If you still face issues, do not worry, you can get in touch with our Activation team and they will help you with the issue. Please refer the article

Global Customer Service phone numbers
    to get the Customer support number as per your country.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 22, 2020
  4. changed out motherboard, activation on windows was removed and wont let me reactivate it

Windows 10 wont reactivate after motherboard change

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

If its a retail license, learn how to reactivate:

Andre Da Costa, Feb 22, 2020
Thema:

changed out motherboard, activation on windows was removed and wont let me reactivate it

1. changed out motherboard, activation on windows was removed and wont let me reactivate it - Similar Threads - changed motherboard activation

2. windows wont let me reactivate key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows wont let me reactivate key: my windows 11 wont reactivate after upgrading to a new pc i did check that it was a retail version it said it was i clicked the changed hardware recently tabon the reactivate page it says unsupported version these devices were registered with a version of windows 10 that does...
  3. windows wont let me reactivate key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows wont let me reactivate key: my windows 11 wont reactivate after upgrading to a new pc i did check that it was a retail version it said it was i clicked the changed hardware recently tabon the reactivate page it says unsupported version these devices were registered with a version of windows 10 that does...
  4. changed my CPU hardware and now it wont let me reactivate windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    changed my CPU hardware and now it wont let me reactivate windows: My CPU recently overheated and fried due to a manufacturer defect and upon getting a new cpu and booting my computer up I have found that I am stuck being unable to activate windows again. Using my product key and my backup product key doesnt work and results in an activation...
  5. changed my CPU hardware and now it wont let me reactivate windows

changed my CPU hardware and now it wont let me reactivate windows: My CPU recently overheated and fried due to a manufacturer defect and upon getting a new cpu and booting my computer up I have found that I am stuck being unable to activate windows again. Using my product key and my backup product key doesnt work and results in an activation...
  6. windows wont let me activate.

windows wont let me activate.: Running on a new daily driver rig. Windows wont let me activate, tried all the troubleshooting stuff, any help would be great as i cant be bothered to buy a new code for something that isnt my fault....
  7. windows wont let me activate.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows wont let me activate.: Running on a new daily driver rig. Windows wont let me activate, tried all the troubleshooting stuff, any help would be great as i cant be bothered to buy a new code for something that isnt my fault....
  8. windows wont let me activate.

9. Windows wont reactivate after changing motherboard and cpu

Windows wont reactivate after changing motherboard and cpu: I got a new cpu, motherboard, and ram for christmas and i put it all together and I put my drive that windows 10 pro was activated on into my new pc and it is no longer activated...
  10. Replaced Motherboard, wont let me use same serial # to activate

Replaced Motherboard, wont let me use same serial # to activate: I bought windows 10 serial number a while ago off amazon... my motherboard wasn't working so i replaced it, and downloaded windows,. and reinstalled using the same serial number and it says the serial number is already in use (obviously) so my windows 10 license is...