Windows 10: Changed pagefile size and now Windows 10 wont boot

Discus and support Changed pagefile size and now Windows 10 wont boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with 8 GB RAM. Recently it has been especially laggy and "Not responding" even when only file explorer is open. Saw a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TheseBootsWereNotFound, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Changed pagefile size and now Windows 10 wont boot

I have Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with 8 GB RAM.

Recently it has been especially laggy and "Not responding" even when only file explorer is open.

Saw a tip online to change the minimum and maximum pagefile sizes to 1.5xRAM and 4xRAM respectively. Those values seemed within the bounds of "space available" in the virtual memory window so I changed the min size to 12000 MB and max to 32000 MB.

When I restarted the system, it went into hardware scan mode and finally showed this error:

Changed pagefile size and now Windows 10 wont boot [​IMG]

"No bootable devices were found! Possible causes could be a corrupt OS image or a boot device is not enabled in BIOS setup."

Looks like I corrupted the OS image. When I try to start windows again it just stays in an illuminated black screen without showing anything. On consecutive tries it would go into automatic repair mode but also go back to the brightish black screen. I can get to a boot menu by pressing F12:

Changed pagefile size and now Windows 10 wont boot 97be76bb-7aaf-405c-9e3a-caf6c97e03da?upload=true.jpg

Non of the boot options result in success.

Samples:

Changed pagefile size and now Windows 10 wont boot c7bacbd6-07a0-4061-8234-1aaf9f9f1fbe?upload=true.jpg

Changed pagefile size and now Windows 10 wont boot 275ecfc7-2381-4d75-a17b-fa92c363d505?upload=true.jpg

When I tried the diagnostics option, it said there was an issue with the hard drive.

Is there a way to fix this myself?

Any help is really appreciated.

:)

TheseBootsWereNotFound, Sep 26, 2018

2. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage:
    1. In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    2. Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD value of 1.
    3. Restart Windows.
    I'm just wondering whether those steps are still valid, and, if so, does clearing the pagefile work as advertised?

gregyurkon, Sep 26, 2018
  3. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Sep 26, 2018
  4. Changed pagefile size and now Windows 10 wont boot

Windows 10 random automatic repair after changing boot priority.

Hello. So i have an Windows 10 Pro. Sometimes when i am changing in bios boot order from USB to HDD ( SDD ) windows starts booting with AUTOMATIC REPAIR and then restarting. Is this something with BIOS \ Windows 10 bug related? Tested on pc and on laptop , and sometimes it doing the same.

Situation on PC first,listen:

Few days ago after i change boot in UEFI BIOS from USB to SSD.
    Then Windows 10 showed at 1 boot Automatic Repair.
    When starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc.
    Interesting is that if I restart Windows (after procedure mentioned earlier) it will boot normally. This startup problem was occured only when starting system again after shutdown or restarted pc from windows.So i was needed 2 boots to boot properly to windows.
    But on pc, format was needed to remove completely issue and after format is fine.

Pc :
    2x8gb Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz DDR3
    SSD samsung Evo 250 gb
    4790k stock
    Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 with UEFI BIOS

Now laptop with old standard bios:
    On laptop i made the same operation, change boot from USB to HDD and on first boot Windows 10 shows Automatic Repair. But it happened once and i cant reproduce. No format was needed.

laptop is very old with 2gb ram

Why on pc format was needed when on laptop not?

Thanks for suggestions.

litwicki24, Sep 26, 2018
Thema:

Changed pagefile size and now Windows 10 wont boot

1. Changed pagefile size and now Windows 10 wont boot - Similar Threads - Changed pagefile size

2. Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot: I changed my ssd from mbr to gpt in order to be able to upgrade from windows 10 to windows 11. While in uefi boot mode my ssd is not showing up in boot priority and i can not boot windows. I have an asus motherboard, amd cpu and amd gpu. The ssd is a samsung 850 evo m.2...
  3. Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot: I changed my ssd from mbr to gpt in order to be able to upgrade from windows 10 to windows 11. While in uefi boot mode my ssd is not showing up in boot priority and i can not boot windows. I have an asus motherboard, amd cpu and amd gpu. The ssd is a samsung 850 evo m.2...
  4. Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. "Windows has created a temporary pagefile" 0mb pagefile size in system properties but 16...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Windows has created a temporary pagefile" 0mb pagefile size in system properties but 16...: Every time I launch my computer this popup comes up and I'm taken to virtual memory in system properties, it says I have 0mb in page file size, I have tried everything I can find online, I tried clean boot which did nothing, resetting which is blocked by an error, deleting...
  6. "Windows has created a temporary pagefile" 0mb pagefile size in system properties but 16...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Windows has created a temporary pagefile" 0mb pagefile size in system properties but 16...: Every time I launch my computer this popup comes up and I'm taken to virtual memory in system properties, it says I have 0mb in page file size, I have tried everything I can find online, I tried clean boot which did nothing, resetting which is blocked by an error, deleting...
  7. Pagefile huge size problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pagefile huge size problem: Hi there, My pagefile seems to be quite large at 11264MB, 11GB~. I am really confused why this has happened, even though I manually set my SSD to off, my secondary HDD to off and manually set my first HDD to on with 400MB to 1912MB the recommended. See picture for...
  8. Changed pagefile size and now the laptop won't boot up

Changed pagefile size and now the laptop won't boot up: Hi, I recently read a post about changing your pagefile size to increase performance. 1.5xRAM and 4xRAM which for me was 12000 34000 I've tried to reset bios settings, use the cmd to change the pagefile size which gives an error of no instances running as well changing...
  9. Change how the pagefile works? (not the size of it)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change how the pagefile works? (not the size of it): Hi, My question might seem a bit bizarre, let me explain myself real quick: So I noticed a strange behavior with Windows' memory management. I always use Chrome and it's always loaded with tabs, uses at least 2.5-3.5GB. When I launch a game that uses quite a bit of RAM,...
  10. (Solved) Changed pagefile size and now Windows 10 wont boot

(Solved) Changed pagefile size and now Windows 10 wont boot: I have Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with 8 GB RAM. Recently it has been especially laggy and "Not responding" even when only file explorer is open. Saw a tip online to change the minimum and maximum pagefile sizes to 1.5xRAM and 4xRAM respectively. Those values seemed within the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 safe mode error after pagefile change

2. windows 10 wont boot after changing file page