Windows 10: Changed permission to open windowsApps folder now none of the apps work and System restore...

Discus and support Changed permission to open windowsApps folder now none of the apps work and System restore... in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; I was trying to access the windowsapps folder and to do so I had to change the permissions. Once I had got into the folder I changed nothing, but now... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by Ishannaik7, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Changed permission to open windowsApps folder now none of the apps work and System restore...

I was trying to access the windowsapps folder and to do so I had to change the permissions. Once I had got into the folder I changed nothing, but now none of the apps from the Windows Store, or the Windows Store app itself, will open. Even the System restore doesn't work and returns the error 0x8007045b

Changed permission to open windowsApps folder now none of the apps work and System restore... d9d3b324-9934-41a6-8da1-a7259df24419?upload=true.png

I had changed the ownership from TrustedInstaller to Ishan and ran these commands

takeown /f WindowsApps /r

calcs WindowsApps /t /g everyone:f /c

How do I reset it back? I changed it back to TrustedInstaller but what about the commands

:)

Ishannaik7, Oct 9, 2020

2. Windows Store apps won't open after changing permissions on windowsapps folder

I was trying to access the windowsapps folder and to do so I had to change the permissions. Once I had got into the folder I changed nothing, but now none of the apps from the Windows Store, or the Windows Store app itself, will open. They simply display
    the splash screen for a moment and close. I have tried running sfc /scannow multiple times, chkdsk /r, wsreset.exe and even refreshing windows. (which as I understood it should reset all the settings, but while all the permissions seem to have been reset the
    apps still won't open.) Here are the current permissions for the windowsapps folder:

Changed permission to open windowsApps folder now none of the apps work and System restore... 3edfc0b5-164b-4b69-8221-6765d73de486.png
    Help?

**Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.**

teamshortcut, Oct 9, 2020
  3. No Windows Apps working after changing permissions of "WindowsApp" folder

I wanted to see the contents and modify a file in one of the folders inside "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps". However, the default permissions set by windows doesn't allow me to do that, I changed it using Properties-> Security->Advanced. I was able to see
    the contents but was thrown access denied dialog when trying to modify(copy/delete) any file.

The main problem is, after changing the permissions I noticed none of my apps that lives in WindowsApp folder is working, e.g: Calendar, Calculator, Office 365(Installed from Store). I have even tried setting the permissions back to "NT Service\TrusterInstaller"
    but still not working.

Please provide instructions to resolve this problem.

Harry Arora, Oct 9, 2020
  4. Changed permission to open windowsApps folder now none of the apps work and System restore...

Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders...

I have been tearing what little hair I have left out of my head trying to copy a file from my desktop to the appropriate folder in the Kodi folder buried in the XBMC… folder in Windowsapps in a brand-new fairly high-end laptop running Windows 10 Pro. I cannot get beyond first what appears to be a UAC “Destination Folder Access Denied” error message saying “You’ll need to provide administrative permission to copy to this folder.” If I click on the UAC “continue” button I get another “Destination Folder Access Denied” error box saying “You need permission to perform this action.” The second error box has only “Try Again” and “Cancel” buttons. Nothing is listed under “More details” in either error box.

Here is most of what I have tried:

1. changing ownership of Windowsapps and all folders below it to my Microsoft account user and granting full-control permissions to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    2. changing ownership to administrators group for Windowsapps and all folders below it and granting full-control permissions to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    3. enabling the “hidden” administrator account, going back to my Microsoft user account and granting full-control rights to the administrator account, returning to the administrator account, taking control with that account, granting full control permission to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    4. creating a new administrator account and repeating 3;
    5. completely disabling UAC through the registry, once in the default administrator account and once in my Microsoft account user.
    6. adding and using the “Take Ownership” context option on a Windowsapps folder as described in the Tutorial at Add Take Ownership to Context Menu in Windows 10 ; and
    7. running the following commands in an administrator command window:

Code:
    as suggested at: Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders... - Windows 10 Forums
    In fact, even if I do an explicit copy from an administrator command window, I get an “access is denied” notice.

None of the many sources I have looked at online are of any help in dealing with this blockage. Please help — not only do I need to get full-control access to Windowsapps and its subfolders for this purpose, I also need to get full-control permission to Windowsapps folders in order to get rid of an annoying McAffee startup.exe which pops an error box on every boot up even though I removed McAffee in the normal way.

How can I get assured access to Windowsapps folders???

jedpaquette, Oct 9, 2020
Thema:

Changed permission to open windowsApps folder now none of the apps work and System restore...

1. Changed permission to open windowsApps folder now none of the apps work and System restore... - Similar Threads - Changed permission open

2. Remove user permission for WindowsApps folder or respectively restore permission back to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove user permission for WindowsApps folder or respectively restore permission back to...: Just wanted to look something in the WindowsApps folder and changed the permission to me respectively the owner. Now I want to restore it to default owner the TrustedInstaller but I got many denial from changing it back. Cancelled the attempt, but now I have no more...
  3. Remove user permission for WindowsApps folder or respectively restore permission back to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove user permission for WindowsApps folder or respectively restore permission back to...: Just wanted to look something in the WindowsApps folder and changed the permission to me respectively the owner. Now I want to restore it to default owner the TrustedInstaller but I got many denial from changing it back. Cancelled the attempt, but now I have no more...
  4. WindowsApps folder permission

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WindowsApps folder permission: After following the instructions from = WindowsApps folder permission - Microsoft Community , I keep getting this error I'm using Windows11 by the way...I'm actually trying to copy a game downloaded from Microsoft Store to my external hard drive as I want to perform a clean...
  5. WindowsApps folder permission

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WindowsApps folder permission: After following the instructions from = WindowsApps folder permission - Microsoft Community , I keep getting this error I'm using Windows11 by the way...I'm actually trying to copy a game downloaded from Microsoft Store to my external hard drive as I want to perform a clean...
  6. windowsapps folder permissions denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windowsapps folder permissions denied: I tried the method with security and change Owner but it doesnt work at all. I keeps saying "You have been denied permission to access this folder" I only want to change a game's path without downloading over 100 gb again...
  7. windowsapps folder permissions denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windowsapps folder permissions denied: I tried the method with security and change Owner but it doesnt work at all. I keeps saying "You have been denied permission to access this folder" I only want to change a game's path without downloading over 100 gb again...
  8. WindowsApps Folder Permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WindowsApps Folder Permissions: After more work than I'm willing to admit, I managed to acquire almost full access to the WindowsApps folder. My issue now is that while I can overwrite and copy files except for executables, for some reason from the folders within such as...
  9. WindowsApps folder permission

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    WindowsApps folder permission: I have a WindowsApps folder taking up a LOT of space on my E:\ external hard drive, I'm fairly certain that the data is not being used by either my laptop or desktop windows OS's as this drive is only used for storing media. Currently I cannot access or delete or otherwise...
  10. Permission to open app in WindowsApp Folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Permission to open app in WindowsApp Folder: I already have changed the ownership of the folder to my user, I can enter and see everything but when I try to open a game.exe it says I don't have the permissions. How do I fix this? I'm trying to hook the .exe to the steam game list so I can stream it to my nvidia shield...