Windows 10: Changed SATA ports between 2HHD's and HDD: device not migrated

Discus and support Changed SATA ports between 2HHD's and HDD: device not migrated in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently wanted to replace my 1TB HDD with a new 8TB HDD. The HDD is only used for storing data (music, movies, OneDrive etc.). Windows 10 runs from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Martin Unterholzner, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Changed SATA ports between 2HHD's and HDD: device not migrated

I recently wanted to replace my 1TB HDD with a new 8TB HDD. The HDD is only used for storing data (music, movies, OneDrive etc.).

Windows 10 runs from a M.2 Samsung Evo 970.

I opened the PC case and loosely plugged the new HDD to the SATA2 plug, formatted it and activated Bitlocker (drive letter EChanged SATA ports between 2HHD's and HDD: device not migrated :).

Then I moved most of the data from the 1TB (DChanged SATA ports between 2HHD's and HDD: device not migrated :) to the 8TB HDD (EChanged SATA ports between 2HHD's and HDD: device not migrated :).

As my intention was to finally remove the 1TB from the computer, I changed the drive letter of the 1TB from D: to F: and did reboot.

Then I changed the drive letter of the 8TB from E: to D: and shut down the computer.

I unmounted the 1TB disk (SATA1), mounted there the 8TB and plugged it to SATA1. Then I connected the 1TB to SATA2 in order to move the last files before I finally remove the old HDD.

Unfortunately after booting again, neither of the HDDs worked properly anymore under Windows 10.

Both appear as "device not migrated".

It's pretty likely that Windows 10 did not appreciate me swapping the HDDs SATA plugs.

As you can imagine, swapping it again doesn't fix anything, unplugging either of them led to now success neither.

Both HDDs show exactly the same problem when I connect them to 2 other Windows 10 PCs. Hence, I conclude it's neither a driver's problem, nor a hardware failure.

In the windows explorer I can still see both disks with their assigned drive letter, but clicking on them gives an error message ("E: is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect").

Checkdisk doesn't work for the same reason. Windows' Disk Management tool sees both disks too.

When plugging the 8TB HDD to another Windows 10 PC, it even asks me for the Bitlocker key, which I can also input. Once I did input, the drive letter is visible but data is inaccessible like on the original PC.

MiniTool Power Data Recovery was able to recognize folders and files after running for about 20 hours.

My feeling is that the data partition of the disk itself is fine, but some meta information seems to be broken.

I found a similar question with a solution.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/changed-sata-ports-ssds-and-hdd-device-not/6ff9bc60-dd4c-4d40-9b50-3bdc60bc7506

But as my boot drive is not affected, I don't think the same strategy would work for me.

Is there a tool out there which can "rebuild" the corrupted meta information?

:)

Martin Unterholzner, Jul 6, 2019
  2. N8terman Win User

Changed SATA ports SSD's and HDD: device not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match

I recently cloned my old Kingston SSD to a new Samsung 860 EVO SSD and installed it into my desktop. When I installed it I just unplugged all of my SATA ports to take care of some cable management and they did not get plugged into the original ports. I have
    my boot SSD in port 1, the old ssd in port 2 (Havent formatted it yet) mechanical HDD in port 3, and optical drive in port 4. I went into BIOS and changed up my boot order so that the new SSD was the boot drive, and disabled the old SSD from the boot order
    to make sure things were working correctly. Everything appears to be working fine, but just by chance I happened to go into device manager and look at the event logs. It says on all of my hard drives: was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: USBSTOR

The date and time correlate to when I physically messed with the cables and physically installed the new SSD.

All of my drives are showing up in BIOS, in disk manager, and device manager. Do I even have to worry about this error? Images included below.

Running an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 and an MSI Tomahawk B350 Mobo

Changed SATA ports between 2HHD's and HDD: device not migrated c87e4e4a-4e42-4cde-b66e-b79462181fef?upload=true.png

Changed SATA ports between 2HHD's and HDD: device not migrated 495126f9-e251-4a29-8eaf-0a16d1e0688a?upload=true.png

N8terman, Jul 6, 2019
  3. Storagespace, want to change SATA Controller for Devices

Hi all,

i've running a parity storage pool of 3 x 4TB Sata HDD's on two different 2 Port SATA Controller.

1. Could i switch thoose drives without loose of data to an other 4 Port SATA Controller?

For example:

1 x 3 x TB HDD on SATA Controller 1 Port 1

1 x 3 x TB HDD on SATA Controller 2 Port 0

1 x 3 x TB HDD on SATA Controller 2 Port 1

Swtiched to...

1 x 3 x TB HDD on SATA Controller 3 Port 0

1 x 3 x TB HDD on SATA Controller 3 Port 1

1 x 3 x TB HDD on SATA Controller 3 Port 2

2. What happens when i switch the assignment between the Controllers and the HDDs?

For example:

Switched to...

Please help me to figure out what happens in the two szenario's. I won't test this on my livesystem and there is no testsystem given.

Many thanks

Toady Toadsen, Jul 6, 2019
  4. J.DD Win User

Changed SATA ports between 2HHD's and HDD: device not migrated

Error: 0xC1900101 - 0x20017, 0xC1900101 - 0x4000D and :Inaccessible Boot Device" after installing Windows 10 on SATA and RAID devices

That inaccessible boot device is related to the sata drivers.

It will also happen, if you have XP (if you had it on IDE mode), when you installed XP then changed to it AHCI in the BIOS after.

You'll get a 0x7b stop error, which means it cant find the hdd (which basically means inaccessible boot device)

What was it on in the BIOS, when you installed windows? RAID?AHCI?

The SATA ports on the mobo. Are the hdd's on the right ports?

Because I think some of the ports are Marvell sata ports.

Since, there are Marvell sata drivers on the ASUS site for this mobo

J.DD, Jul 6, 2019
Thema:

Changed SATA ports between 2HHD's and HDD: device not migrated

1. Changed SATA ports between 2HHD's and HDD: device not migrated - Similar Threads - Changed SATA ports

2. Minecraft migrate/device change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft migrate/device change: I no longer have an X-box but now use a PC. I can't change my device on Micorsoft to migrate Minecraft so can't play because officially I have migrated it so it's gone from Mojang. How do I change device as the only options I'm given don't incluse a PC....
  3. HDD not migrated.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD not migrated.: Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_&Prod_ST1000DM010-2EP1\4&a13202a&0&020000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.Last Device Instance Id: SCSI\CdRom&Ven_TSSTcorp&Prod_CDDVDW_SH-222BB\4&a13202a&0&020000Class Guid: {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}Location Path:...
  4. E - SATA Port

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    E - SATA Port: On the front of my pc is a port marked E-SATA, what is this for? 158757
  5. Migrating hdd

Migrating hdd: I was wondering if migrating from a SSD to SSD is same as HDD to SSD and also if the hard drive with the operating systems had bad sectors on it, would the migration still continue successfully? Thanks...
  6. Sata ports question

Sata ports question: Hello all, i have just built a new ryzen PC, with a Asus B450 F MB , and i just got a Samsung M.2 970 EVO 500 Gig to replace my current 850 Evo, from what i understand my MB uses sata ports 5&6, i currently have 2 devices connected to those ports. would moving those two to...
  7. Changed SATA ports SSD's and HDD: device not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match

Changed SATA ports SSD's and HDD: device not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match: I recently cloned my old Kingston SSD to a new Samsung 860 EVO SSD and installed it into my desktop. When I installed it I just unplugged all of my SATA ports to take care of some cable management and they did not get plugged into the original ports. I have my boot SSD in...
  8. Internal HDD's jumbled up, on SATA ports?

Internal HDD's jumbled up, on SATA ports?: Hi, Ive just taken a look at my hdds in disk management, and everything seems mixed up. Im pretty sure c:\ (windows) is on sata 0, but here its disk 2? is it important that its disk 0? am i doing something wrong? also, i just plugged an external hdd in, and it became d:\...
  9. SATA port are not working??

SATA port are not working??: Glad you got it fixed. Sounds like the CMOS got "confused" and the reset allowed it to detect what was actually present. Good job! --Ed--
  10. SATA port not working

SATA port not working: Hi all, I hope that this thread doesn't go as long as the other one, but you never know. In my last thread, that dealt with recovering data on a bad windows 10 disk image, towards the end of it I mentioned that Windows Explorer lost recognition to one of my DVD's. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. sata controller was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous

2. device not migrated windows 10 hdd

3. m.2 changed to scsi disk