Windows 10: Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot

Discus and support Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I changed my ssd from mbr to gpt in order to be able to upgrade from windows 10 to windows 11. While in uefi boot mode my ssd is not showing up in boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Emil Gyldenskog Nøsavik, Feb 25, 2024.

1. Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot

I changed my ssd from mbr to gpt in order to be able to upgrade from windows 10 to windows 11. While in uefi boot mode my ssd is not showing up in boot priority and i can not boot windows. I have an asus motherboard, amd cpu and amd gpu. The ssd is a samsung 850 evo m.2 250gb. The ssd will show up if i select legacy boot mode. But then i get an error message telling me i have no available boot devices. Is there any way i can fix this in the bios settings?

:)

Emil Gyldenskog Nøsavik, Feb 25, 2024

2. Trouble installing windows 7 on RAID in UEFI

As the title says, I'm trying to install Windows on a RAID array in uefi on my Maximus V Formula. When using legacy ROM I can install just fine but I go into CSM and change settings to UEFI only, I can build the array in the UEFI Raid driver (IRST tab in "BIOS") but the array does not show up in the boot menu and when I try to install windows (boot from UEFI DVD drive), The drive does not show up in the Windows install. The next thing I tried was to enable UEFI and legacy oprom in CSM, boot from UEFI DVD drive and install to the RAID array (probably detected by legacy oprom) and it will install. After first reboot, Windows Boot manager will show up as an option in the BIOS boot menu so I set that as first boot device and reboot. I will get to the starting windows screen and then BSOD (too quick to get codes) The last thing I tried was Changing to legacy mode and installing windows to a different drive. once installed, I initialized the Raid array as GPT and rebooted, changed csm back to UEFI only but they RAID array still doesn't show in the boot device list so I repeated the earlier process hoping that It might work because I had initialized as GPT but it still BSODs on starting windows screen. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

mystiksinner, Feb 25, 2024
  3. FX-GMC Win User
    Trouble installing windows 7 on RAID in UEFI

I think you were on track with your first try. Windows installer probably needs the RAID driver in order to detect it on install.

Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot [​IMG]

FX-GMC, Feb 25, 2024
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot

Should I change BIOS Mode to UEFI?

You boot into UEFI mode by disabling CSM mode (or possibly called legacy mode) in your UEFI settings. But, until you prepare your hard drive (or SSD) to boot in UEFI, you likely will fail to boot. To convert your HDD or SSD to boot in UEFI mode you could try this:
    Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss

But, if you succeed in converting the HDD/SSD to GPT, and you can't change you BIOS to boot in UEFI mode, then again you will fail to boot. So, I would suggest that you really know what you are doing before you undertake changing legacy BIOS (CSM mode) booting to UEFI.

I would suggest running Ubuntu in a Virtual Machine rather than dual booting.

NavyLCDR, Feb 25, 2024
Thema:

Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot

1. Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot - Similar Threads - Changed gpt uefi

2. My bios wont enter in UEFI Setting or Boot Order

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My bios wont enter in UEFI Setting or Boot Order: when ever i try entering BIOS setting by pressing DEL key or Boot Order By pressing F11 key my screen gets black and show a white das nothing else and get stucked there i have a MSI laptop Ge70 2pe Apache Pro...
  3. My bios wont enter in UEFI Setting or Boot Order

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My bios wont enter in UEFI Setting or Boot Order: when ever i try entering BIOS setting by pressing DEL key or Boot Order By pressing F11 key my screen gets black and show a white das nothing else and get stucked there i have a MSI laptop Ge70 2pe Apache Pro...
  4. My bios wont enter in UEFI Setting or Boot Order

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot: I changed my ssd from mbr to gpt in order to be able to upgrade from windows 10 to windows 11. While in uefi boot mode my ssd is not showing up in boot priority and i can not boot windows. I have an asus motherboard, amd cpu and amd gpu. The ssd is a samsung 850 evo m.2...
  6. Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot: I changed my ssd from mbr to gpt in order to be able to upgrade from windows 10 to windows 11. While in uefi boot mode my ssd is not showing up in boot priority and i can not boot windows. I have an asus motherboard, amd cpu and amd gpu. The ssd is a samsung 850 evo m.2...
  7. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

in Windows 10 Customization
    UEFI boot entry in BIOS: Dell Inspiron 15 3515 Windows 10.In my Inspiron I have two internal SSDs, one came as standard and is 125 GB and I added my own 500 GB SSD. I cloned the smaller SSD to the larger one and by using BCDBOOT was able to chose which to boot from at startup. Both boot up just fine....
  8. Secure Boot State Unsupported with UEFI Bios and GPT Disk Formation.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Secure Boot State Unsupported with UEFI Bios and GPT Disk Formation.: Hello everyone. I am currently running Windows 10 Insider Build and have gotten the option to update to Windows 11 Insider Build but my PC is coming up with the error "This PC Can't Run Windows 11. This PC Must support Secure Boot.". This is very confusing because my PC is...
  9. SSD in GPT wont boot

SSD in GPT wont boot: Hello Community This title is found several times in several forums through google. But I didnt found any solution to my problem. First my PC Setup and what I want to do: Motherboard: Z97-K Disks: Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series 125 GB Windows installed Samsung...
  10. drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI

drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI: I'm basically having a similar issue where I'm trying install a clean W10 onto my previous SSD and Win10 does see the drives and starts loading but stops whiting a few seconds stating that my drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI. Perform Diskpart...