Windows 10: changed user account but all defaults paths still lead to the old one

Discus and support changed user account but all defaults paths still lead to the old one in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When setting up a new laptop, Windows automatically created a user account for me and gave it a name that I don't want at all. It never asked me for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Ivan Anand, Jun 24, 2020.

1. changed user account but all defaults paths still lead to the old one

When setting up a new laptop, Windows automatically created a user account for me and gave it a name that I don't want at all. It never asked me for a name. It just took part of my email address without asking.
    Now I am stuck with every path of my computer having this silly name.
    I have created a new local account, with a name that I want. And I'm logging in with that account.
    But even when logged in to that administrator account, every default path takes me to this other username. Even the documents folder inside the new user, when I open it, actually has the unwanted name in the path! Some things I have been able to manually redirect, but it means that everything I do now is twice as complicated and I need to dig deeper into the tree structure to get to the files that I really want.
    This is completely ridiculous to me, only because Windows gave me a name that I didn't want!

I've tried a registry tweak that I read somewhere to rename the user account, but when I did that it said my version of Windows did not allow that. Sorry I can't remember exactly what it was that was suggested.

Ideally I want to get rid of this complete folder with this unwanted username, or if I can't get rid of it, then at least let every default path lead to the user that I want. Please help!

:)

Ivan Anand, Jun 24, 2020
  2. kiwi Win User

Delete local user account or change default account on start up

Almost!
    I found the user, but Windows in their great wisdom won't let me delete it.
    Is there a way to stop it attempting to log in there as default?
    Screen shot of the users listed.
    changed user account but all defaults paths still lead to the old one [​IMG]

3. Jim8080 Win User
    Lost my default user account

My default user account is not listed during startup; only the Guest account called Windows User is available.

Earlier, I was trying to find my Microsoft account, but don't think I was successful. I entered a password I had used years ago with the Microsoft Community, but it was incorrect. I'm not sure what I would see if I had opened my Microsoft account. I guess something happened.

I shut down and restarted my computer and to my surprise I was asked for a password. I don't recall what happened when I originally set up the computer, but would have eliminated the password, if possible. I fiddled around, not sure what to do, and accidentally selected Windows User when I started the computer again. Now I'm not asked, and Windows User is automatically used.

My default account is still on the computer. I started with Administrator privileges, and ran C:\WINDWS\system32>net user and it is listed as the default account (WDAGUtilityAccount is listed under the Default Account heading). Windows User is the guest account.

I attempted to use System Restore from the Windows User Account but it was off. Since it is a different account, it probably would not have helped.
    Any suggestions? Jim

Jim8080, Jun 24, 2020
  4. changed user account but all defaults paths still lead to the old one

changing default account on calendar

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description you are facing issue in using mail and colander app on your laptop. However, you may try the steps mentioned in the article provided below except troubleshooter. Try to
    run the troubleshooter from here.

Troubleshoot problems with an app

If issue persists then there might be a chance that the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

I would suggest you to switch the login account to Local user account. Then switch back to Microsoft account and check if you are able to sync properly. You may follow the steps provided below:

Step 1: Switch to local user account

Follow these steps to create a “Local User account”.

• Press “Windows key +W”.
    • Type “users” without quotes in the search box.
    • Then select “Users” from the left panel.
    • You will get an option “Switch to a Local account” right below your user account name.
    • Select “Switch to a local account” option.
    • Enter the required details.
    • Then login to the local account and check how it works.

Step 2: Switch back to Microsoft account

Follow these steps to create a “Microsoft account”.

• Press “Windows key +W”.
    • Type “users” without quotes in the search box.
    • Then select “Users” from the left panel.
    • Select “Switch to Microsoft account” right below your user account name.
    • Enter the required details (Primary Email ID).
    • Restart the computer and then try to login using new Primary account.

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Jun 24, 2020
Thema:

changed user account but all defaults paths still lead to the old one

1. changed user account but all defaults paths still lead to the old one - Similar Threads - changed user account

2. Former User path still holds all files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Former User path still holds all files in Windows 10: On my work Windows 10 PC, all files are saved under the former user's path. Even my personal Onedrive is showing as being saved in this path. The user has been deleted in "other users". How do I move everything to be in my own path and permanently remove this former user?...
  3. Former User path still holds all files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Former User path still holds all files in Windows 10: On my work Windows 10 PC, all files are saved under the former user's path. Even my personal Onedrive is showing as being saved in this path. The user has been deleted in "other users". How do I move everything to be in my own path and permanently remove this former user?...
  4. Former User path still holds all files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. i want one user account to be default at startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i want one user account to be default at startup: HI so i have two users for my computer, and i want one user account as default so that it comes up first when i open the computer , i tried using the netplwiz thing i saw in a tread but it didnt work...
  6. i want one user account to be default at startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i want one user account to be default at startup: HI so i have two users for my computer, and i want one user account as default so that it comes up first when i open the computer , i tried using the netplwiz thing i saw in a tread but it didnt work...
  7. Change Default Installation Path

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change Default Installation Path: Hey team, I've googled this and saw countless threads yet nothing has worked so far. Not even sure if it's possible at this point. I want to change the default installation path of downloaded programs from my C:\ to another D:\, rather than changing the path everytime I...
  8. can all but one user account be deleted

in Windows 10 Customization
    can all but one user account be deleted: can all but one user account be deleted https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-all-but-one-user-account-be-deleted/ac13b8d2-d54a-4a3a-bb32-405a276583f1
  9. Change default install path?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change default install path?: i have 2 drives, 1 tiny SSD for the windows install (C), and one big drive for everything else (D). I want literally everything, always, on the big drive (D) yet whenever I install something it always defaults to the small windows ssd where I barely have any storage space to...
  10. Change default home directory path

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change default home directory path: Hi everyone, I have a windows 10 Pro server with a thinstuff tool to enable more than 3 remote desktop sessions at same time. This server has a 254 SSD boot disk with OS windows 10, and an extra 1TB Volume for data storage. My question is simple, i need to change the...