Windows 10: Changed Windows Update Assistant Settings and Have a Question

Discus and support Changed Windows Update Assistant Settings and Have a Question in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So I was perfectly fine earlier this month running 1703 (new notebook 12/17) even though 1703 I believe came out in April 2017 until MS hijacked (it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by phaedruspress, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Changed Windows Update Assistant Settings and Have a Question

So I was perfectly fine earlier this month running 1703 (new notebook 12/17) even though 1703 I believe came out in April 2017 until MS hijacked (it turns out they did this to almost EVERYBODY) a few weeks ago and unceremoniously installed 1709. This is what my update settings looked like before the auto install of 1709:

Changed Windows Update Assistant Settings and Have a Question [​IMG]

So I went searching for trouble and ending up following some instructions I found regarding the update assistant and messing around with the task scheduler. This is what I disabled in task scheduler as it pertains to the update assistant:

When by chance this morning what with all the buzz about the new Spring Creators Update forthcoming I looked at my windows update settings and it now looks like this. The options are grayed out:

So does it look like this now since I fiddled around with the task scheduler and made those changes regarding update assistant? Clearly MS has the capability to over ride the settings I had previously and I was wondering if what my update settings look like now are they more bullet proof so to speak then having them set the old way as shown in the first pic "This is what my update settings looked like before the auto install of 1709."

Thanks

:)

phaedruspress, Mar 21, 2018

2. I have a problem with the windows update assistant

Hi! I have a problem with the windows update assistant, the windows upgrade assistant just go back to 0% i really didn't know why but the last time i check was on 83% please help me

Philippines.Jude, Mar 21, 2018
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Mar 21, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Changed Windows Update Assistant Settings and Have a Question

Hi, there is a possible clue... both in the red message (some group policy set) and in helpful blue one underneath. Have you tried clicking that?

It appears the reason that's greyed out is because of a group policy setting. Mine's the same. Clicking the blue link I see

And if you look in the group policy editor you can fairly easily pick out the policies that are configured.

Well, it is getting on for 365 days since the release of 1703... I would have thought a bit too early for that delay to have expired. Hazarding a guess, you somehow got the upgrade when that delay was regarded as terminated. If so, it's behaving as expected.

Now if you had also set updates to Notify, as I have, when that happened to me (one previous build a long time back) then you could have avoided the upgrade being applied and not been caught out as you apparently feel you have been.
    - demonstrable statistics, please....

dalchina, Mar 21, 2018
  5. @dalchina Thanks for the reply. So I am going to respond without quoting your entire message and repeating the pics.

Hi, there is a possible clue... both in the red message (some group policy set) and in helpful blue one underneath. Have you tried clicking that?

It appears the reason that's greyed out is because of a group policy setting. Mine's the same. Clicking the blue link I see

Right. I also clicked the "blue link" earlier and while I am not home now to check I believe I saw what you saw or very similar. I'll check later tonight though honestly I am not sure I quite understand all the terminology ie. "specifies target server to host updates" and others.

And if you look in the group policy editor you can fairly easily pick out the policies that are configured.

Sorry, not home.How do you easily pick out the polices that are configured? Is what I did with the task scheduler disabling the update assistant is that reflected in the group policy setting that I did there as well or did fiddling with the task scheduler have nothing to do at all with a "group policy setting" and if not do you know what the group policy setting is that apparently both you and I changed to reflect the new look "view configured update policies."

Well, it is getting on for 365 days since the release of 1703

Yeah, I got that. My grumbling had more to do with the fact that the computer was only three months old and I was still getting used to 1703 though I was even more pissed about what MS did.

Now if you had also set updates to Notify, as I have, when that happened to me

How do you do that?

it turns out they did this to almost EVERYBODY

- demonstrable statistics, please....

What, I can't be hyperbolic : )

https://www.google.com/search?q=wndo...hrome&ie=UTF-8

One last thing. Changing the task scheduler and the win update assistant to disabled and apparently making changes to the GPE do you think this is a better course of action of trying to regain more control over when and what windows updates? Thanks

phaedruspress, Mar 21, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    Fiddling with the task scheduler isn't a great idea here. As you clearly have Pro, you can do better.

Glancing through you can see those enabled.

If you use the filter, you can see ONLY those enabled:

Windows Update Minitool is an easy way to set updates to Notify:

Else use the group policy editor:

- see also the Tutorial on enabling and disabling Windows updates where Notify is documented.
    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials
    Option 1, 4.

For reference, here's the Tutorial on Deferring upgrades:
    Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

If you really have a grudge against Windows Updates, see
    Stop Windows 10 Updates Properly and Completely Solved - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Mar 22, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    There was an unfortunate bug in KB4023814, an update that was supposed to install the Update Assistant on all versions from 1507 to 1607, and for 1703 only on those machines that were not configured to defer Features updates...

KB4023814 Windows 10 display notification to install latest version

8. Changed Windows Update Assistant Settings and Have a Question

@Bree <There was an unfortunate bug in KB4023814...

I'm a cynic at heart and I also read about the "unintentional" upgrade that went against user set preferences (1703 to 1709) however I also read a couple of weeks ago when this happened that MS had "apologized" at least once and maybe twice within the last 6 months or so regarding "bugs" that foisted unwanted updates.

https://betanews.com/2017/06/02/micr...recovery-tips/

phaedruspress, Mar 22, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    I'm not, I blame lack of testing rather than 'conspiracy'. There's plenty of evidence, most recently the complete mess for the exploit protection pages in Defender - apparently only the EN-US one was tested properly for 16299.309, other languages saw garbage.

Windows Defender Exploit Protection problem

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Changed Windows Update Assistant Settings and Have a Question

1. Changed Windows Update Assistant Settings and Have a Question - Similar Threads - Changed Update Assistant

2. Is it okay if the updates in settings and dell support assist have downloaded but ive...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it okay if the updates in settings and dell support assist have downloaded but ive...: Is it okay if the updates in settings and dell support assist have downloaded but ive chosen to restart later for both then “shut down” my pc the updates were not installing or anything at the time just downloaded...
  3. Is it okay if the updates in settings and dell support assist have downloaded but ive...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it okay if the updates in settings and dell support assist have downloaded but ive...: Is it okay if the updates in settings and dell support assist have downloaded but ive chosen to restart later for both then “shut down” my pc the updates were not installing or anything at the time just downloaded...
  4. update question/settings

update question/settings: When I go to my updates setting in Windows there is something that says" your version of Windows will stop receiving quality updates soon. You can stay in support by updating to a newer version of windows 10 and then there is more. I do not want and will not put the...
  5. Windows 10 Quick Assist Questions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Quick Assist Questions: Hello All Issue is my sister rarely updates her laptop, for a while she had no internet at her place, now has internet, unknown if she ever updates it, or applies HP bios updates to fix any security issues or various other issues. My Desktop has Windows 10 Pro, Her Laptop is...
  6. Question A Windows Update Setting

Question A Windows Update Setting: Good morning. First, I have a Dell laptop with Windows 10 Home, Version 2004. My Windows Updates for October is currently "Paused" for a few more days. This morning when I went to the site there was a new box notice asking if I would like to "adjust my active hours to...
  7. Focus Assist settings have no effect

in Windows 10 Customization
    Focus Assist settings have no effect: I want the monitor to turn off overnight so I set Automatic rules>During these times to 11:00 pm to 6:00 am, but the monitor stays on all night. TheDuring these hours are Start time and Stop time. Does that mean to turn OFF the display at the Start time and ON at the end...
  8. Focus assist questions.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Focus assist questions.: Which focus assist's setting should I use since I don't want to have notifications and may I still have them if I don't touch focus assist (the same with leaving it with the priority only setting checked and not messing with the automatic rules' settings) after disabling...
  9. Windows Update Settings Question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update Settings Question: I'm using Windows 1803 17134.112. These are my windows update settings: [img] I have recently checked for updates: [img] When I run a check for updates, why doesn't the check find KB4284848 (the recent cumulative update for 1803)? 113502
  10. Changed Windows Update Assistant Settings REDUX

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Changed Windows Update Assistant Settings REDUX: I am not sure regarding the etiquette of creating a new post similar to one I had before but I thought it best to separate a particular question from that previous post. Original post: Changed Windows Update Assistant Settings and Have a Question So in that post...