Windows 10: Changing boot drive from HD to USB for OS install

Discus and support Changing boot drive from HD to USB for OS install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am installing an SSD and Windows 10 at the same time. Need to know how to change the boot drive to the Windows 10 USB. Currently on Windows 7.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RogerMattox, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Changing boot drive from HD to USB for OS install

I am installing an SSD and Windows 10 at the same time. Need to know how to change the boot drive to the Windows 10 USB. Currently on Windows 7. Thanks

:)

RogerMattox, Jan 21, 2019

2. Installing Windows 7 via USB flash drive!

Its weird tho cause I have no problem with installing from disc. I did change it back to boot from HDD. I really dont want to uninstall all my components, kinds defeats the purpose of installing from usb. it would take longer to disconnect and reconnect after install then it would to just install from dvd.

Do you think its beacuse the drive was formated in ntfs, thats the only step I did different from the OP. Well that and the bootsect /nt60 command before coping files.

heres they way I went, probly have to try it fat32

launch diskpart.exe)
    select disk 1 (or your USB drive number, use list disk to get it)
    clean
    create partition primary
    select partition=1
    active
    format fs=ntfs
    assign
    exit

Now that the drive is boot aware, we have to initialize its boot sector with the Windows boot manager (BOOTMGR), using the Bootsect.exe utility located in the boot directory of the Vista installation DVD. We have to tell the utility that our target drive is NTFS formatted:

bootsect.exe /nt60 f:

ShRoOmAlIsTiC, Jan 21, 2019
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Jan 21, 2019
  4. Mussels Win User

Changing boot drive from HD to USB for OS install

Wondering about a second hard drive and installing Vista on it and also a ..

iv'e had too many problems to list like that, thats why i suggested disconnecting the original drive(s) and using the BIOS to choose what drive to boot from.

Mussels, Jan 21, 2019
Thema:

Changing boot drive from HD to USB for OS install

1. Changing boot drive from HD to USB for OS install - Similar Threads - Changing boot drive

2. Drive, Boot, & OS Install Issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Drive, Boot, & OS Install Issues: Just bought my daughter a new laptop (Acer 5 Aspire). I've already exited S mode and now would like to take the 256GB SSD from her old HP laptop and install it in the Aspire as the boot drive instead of the installed 128GB PCIe NVMe SSD which I'll leave in place. The current...
  3. Boot Windows 10 from USB Hard Drive that used to be the internal OS

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Windows 10 from USB Hard Drive that used to be the internal OS: I upgraded my HDD to an SSD and starting fresh on the SSD and reinstalling everything. How can I boot into Windows 10 on the old HDD that is now in an external USB enclosure? I am trying to review some of the settings on the old setup so I can match on the new install. Thank...
  4. HD Disk formatting with OS installed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HD Disk formatting with OS installed: Hi everybody: can anyone tell me how to format a hard drive disk with the operating system installed at the same time? Thanks for a helpful answer. Regards, Pablo...
  5. Change drive from where the OS Boots up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change drive from where the OS Boots up: I have 3 drives C: ,D: , E: . Drive D: is on a external bay. Where I look at Disk Management I see for see ( Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) on the Disk, Drive D: (System, Active, Primary Partition), E: (Primary Partition) . If I remove D: the system doesn't...
  6. Unable to Boot from HD, DVD or USB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to Boot from HD, DVD or USB: I tried to restart my 'backup' PC , after a couple of weeks off , and got a message saying "The PC has run into a problem and we will restart it" It then says Preparing Automatic Repair before setting off into a repeat cycle, i tried to boot from a USB Recovery and a DVD with...
  7. Migrate the OS to a USB drive and use it for a boot device

Migrate the OS to a USB drive and use it for a boot device: Hello, I've got an Dell Inspiron 3000 series laptop. It has a 32 gb SSD drive and that's it. It doesn't have the capability to expand/add a hard drive. I bought initially just to do light Office work on the road and didn't think the drive size would be an issue since I...
  8. Booting from USB Drive

Booting from USB Drive: When i boot up my computer i go to the boot menu and i try booting from my usb drive it doesn't work. My computer just ignores it and normally launches as if nothing happened. Could anyone help? Thank you...
  9. VMWARE / VBOX etc - Boot VM from USB drive to install GUEST OS

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMWARE / VBOX etc - Boot VM from USB drive to install GUEST OS: Hi there Most VM programs allow you to boot from an ISO image -- useful when installing the Guest OS for the first time. Since now DVD's are going the way of the DODO isn't about time these Virtual Machine software manufacturers such as VMWARE and ORACLE(VBOX) to allow...
  10. inquiry on how to change BIOs to boot from USB drive

inquiry on how to change BIOs to boot from USB drive: I would like to know if possible -how to change BIOs to boot from USB drive. I have already seen the option when login, option to resume normally or other..and in advanced options the list includes: sys restore sys image recovery startup repair command prompt UEFI...