Windows 10: Changing brightness is no longer smooth with function keys on 1903

Discus and support Changing brightness is no longer smooth with function keys on 1903 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was forced to update to Win10 1903 today from 1809 by Windows and after updating I encountered a bit of an issue, changing the brightness now isn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MrCelroy, Aug 30, 2019.

1. MrCelroy Win User

Changing brightness is no longer smooth with function keys on 1903

I was forced to update to Win10 1903 today from 1809 by Windows and after updating I encountered a bit of an issue,

changing the brightness now isn't as smooth as it was before with the function keys as seen here [youtube]SEyRYGojBsA[/youtube]

in comparison,

changing the brightness with the function keys used to look something like this [youtube]GZoZ486Rrtk[/youtube]

I don't know if it's an installation issue or if Microsoft changed the behavior of how the brightness works but

I'm hoping to see if there's a fix for this because it's really annoying me for a number of reasons

:)

MrCelroy, Aug 30, 2019

2. Function key will not work correctly when setting up brightness.

Hi Ashique,

Sorry for the delay in response.

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    • Do you face the issue with only brightness?

The special keys like Fn key with the options to change brightness or to reduce sound are provided by the laptop manufacturer.

We would suggest you to update or download the software from the computer manufacturer website.

Ravinath P, Aug 30, 2019
  3. TheDavidW Win User
    After the latest Windows Update, brightness control and custom keyboard shortcuts no longer function

Acer 1810TZ

64 bit OS and processor (4GB)

Windows 10 Pro

Version 1803

Build 17134.48

Installed 05/17/2018

Quality Updates Installed

• KB4103729
    • KB4103721
    Definition Updates Installed

• KB2267602

Like the subject says, I've lost brightness control as well as custom keyboard shortcuts I had setup to start programs (Ctrl + Alt + [letter]). I just discovered the latter not working. Brightness control no longer works with function key shortcut, icon
    in the notification panel, or adjusting the brightness slider in Settings.

Note that Windows key shortcuts DO work. Volume control DOES work with function key, system tray icon slider, etc.

I've tried the following to no avail:

• updating display and monitor drivers as well as switching to the basic Microsoft display.
    • uninstalling update
    • reinstalling the update
    • the old voodoo trick of rebooting at each of the above steps

I'm at a loss as to what to try or what to even what to search for at this point. Thanks for your help!

TheDavidW, Aug 30, 2019
  4. Changing brightness is no longer smooth with function keys on 1903

Changing brightness with Fn key costs delay

This is a change in steps from 0 to 10 which is almost smooth to the human eye. All Acer laptops work like this and have been for several years.

Changing brightness is no longer smooth with function keys on 1903 29367df3-de6b-469e-abb3-424bc7c206ca?upload=true.jpg

Frederik Long, Aug 30, 2019
Thema:

Changing brightness is no longer smooth with function keys on 1903

1. Changing brightness is no longer smooth with function keys on 1903 - Similar Threads - Changing brightness longer

2. Key no longer functional

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Key no longer functional: one of the keys on my microsoft ergonomic keyboar has stoppe working. Can you guess which one? I am using Microsoft 11. Help please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/key-no-longer-functional/ce5c42f7-fa70-4310-8984-439eafa70b2c
  3. Key no longer functional

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Key no longer functional: one of the keys on my microsoft ergonomic keyboar has stoppe working. Can you guess which one? I am using Microsoft 11. Help please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/key-no-longer-functional/ce5c42f7-fa70-4310-8984-439eafa70b2c
  4. Fn key to brightness not functioning properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fn key to brightness not functioning properly: Hello,Briefly: Fn key combination with the brightness adjuster keys in my case, F4 and 5 is malfunctioning. I can see the bar pop up when I use the buttons, but the slider only increases and decreases once, no matter how many times I press the buttons. The brightness remains...
  5. Fn key to brightness not functioning properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fn key to brightness not functioning properly: Hello,Briefly: Fn key combination with the brightness adjuster keys in my case, F4 and 5 is malfunctioning. I can see the bar pop up when I use the buttons, but the slider only increases and decreases once, no matter how many times I press the buttons. The brightness remains...
  6. Function keys no longer working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Function keys no longer working: Hello...got a Microsoft request to upgrade my os Windows 10 as it was soon to become outdated. Did that yesterday and since then none of the function keys on my laptop HP Envy work at all. This is very frustrating, especially given the need to adjust volume levels during...
  7. How to make brightness changing smooth on my laptop

How to make brightness changing smooth on my laptop: Hi, i had recently updated my windows 10 to the later version and have noticed that changing my brightness happens without transition. Before the update, there used to be a transition effect when changing brightness which dowsnthappen now. Pls help my laptop is an ASUS...
  8. Changing brightness is no longer smooth with function keys on 1903

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Changing brightness is no longer smooth with function keys on 1903: I was forced to update to Win10 1903 today from 1809 by Windows and after updating I encountered a bit of an issue, changing the brightness now isn't as smooth as it was before with the function keys as seen here SEyRYGojBsA in comparison, changing the brightness with the...
  9. Brightness Function Keys Not Working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Brightness Function Keys Not Working: After updating my laptop to the April 2018 update, I lost several functions to my funtion keys, which includes Ambient light, Battery settings, Project settings, Muting microphone, and most importantly the Brightness settings. How do I fix this so I can use my function keys...
  10. unable to change screen brightness with function keys

unable to change screen brightness with function keys: Dear community, I've got a new HP ProBook 430 G5 running Windows 10 Home. I am having difficulties with adjusting the brightness of the screen via the function keys. I can do it manually but I would prefer being able to use F3 and F4. The other Function Keys work when...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. brightness change is not smooth win 10

2. windows fn key brightness not smooth

3. win 10 smooth brightness