Windows 10: Changing C:\Users\USERNAME

Discus and support Changing C:\Users\USERNAME in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When setting up a computer, you are initially prompted to create a username. Once this name is created, how can it be changed? To be clear, you can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by UsernameChange, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Changing C:\Users\USERNAME

When setting up a computer, you are initially prompted to create a username. Once this name is created, how can it be changed?

To be clear, you can change your personal account name (found under Settings>Account>Your Info), but this does not change C:\Users\USERNAME (or whatever drive your OS is on). To change this, I have tried to edit the registry (as detailed here). However, when doing this, I am unable to log into my account and have the need to setup a temporary account to recover to the old C:\Users\USERNAME state. How can I change this drive name?

Thanks for your time

:)

UsernameChange, Dec 14, 2019

2. Username change in C: drive

I tried to change my username in powershell and now when I run as admin in powershell, Get-LocalUser gives me the username that I tried adding. Although in cmd window, c:\Users still shows the old one.

And in cmd window, it reads user - Alias not found if I type wmic user account list full .

Pinar Toptas, Dec 14, 2019
  3. Kreij Win User
    Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Dec 14, 2019
  4. Darkamian Win User

Changing C:\Users\USERNAME

How to pin c-users-username to quick access not the desktop library of username?

EDIT: Pinning c-users-username-(folder) functions normally it is specifically c-users-username that is the problem

The problem occurred before the customization (which is simply use document template). It also fails to work on two other windows 10 laptops (all three devices are different manufactures and motherboards and parts). So it most certainly is not because I
    changed the template. It also has occured for nearly a year now across every update, I even attempted on a clean install(using the media creation tool) without updating or installing anything and it also failed.

Just to make sure we are following the same steps.

I navigate to C:\users\ right click and pin to quick access

I click the link it creates

opens username(that library in desktop) and not C:\users\username

Darkamian, Dec 14, 2019
Thema:

Changing C:\Users\USERNAME

1. Changing C:\Users\USERNAME - Similar Threads - Changing UsersUSERNAME

2. How do I change the drive letter for my floppy disk drive if it's not accessable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the drive letter for my floppy disk drive if it's not accessable?: I have been trying to follow this:Drive A does not show up possibly because it's not accessible.I could not figure out how to bring up drive A. I could see only C & D.Thank you for your help,Tawn Daniel...
  3. How do I change the drive letter for my floppy disk drive if it's not accessable?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change the drive letter for my floppy disk drive if it's not accessable?: I have been trying to follow this:Drive A does not show up possibly because it's not accessible.I could not figure out how to bring up drive A. I could see only C & D.Thank you for your help,Tawn Daniel...
  4. How do I change the drive letter for my floppy disk drive if it's not accessable?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Issues with make NoCDBurning Registry changes permanent

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with make NoCDBurning Registry changes permanent: Good Afternoon,We have recently used this Answer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solved-windows-10-and-inability-to-burn-blank/145591fc-8d6b-41c0-b5e5-252ba76f2788 to resolve an issue with a few of our desktops no burning CDs. The fix works when you run...
  6. Issues with make NoCDBurning Registry changes permanent

Issues with make NoCDBurning Registry changes permanent: Good Afternoon,We have recently used this Answer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solved-windows-10-and-inability-to-burn-blank/145591fc-8d6b-41c0-b5e5-252ba76f2788 to resolve an issue with a few of our desktops no burning CDs. The fix works when you run...
  7. Issues with make NoCDBurning Registry changes permanent

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Cannot use recent locations list to change directories

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot use recent locations list to change directories: Several times per day, Windows Explorer will have a problem where I can show the list of recent locations by pressing Ctrl+L or clicking the address bar, but when I try to click one of the locations or type one manually, it does nothing. There is no consistency in what I'm...
  9. Cannot use recent locations list to change directories

Cannot use recent locations list to change directories: Several times per day, Windows Explorer will have a problem where I can show the list of recent locations by pressing Ctrl+L or clicking the address bar, but when I try to click one of the locations or type one manually, it does nothing. There is no consistency in what I'm...
  10. Wallpaper doesnt change after the set interval

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wallpaper doesnt change after the set interval: I decided I want to use the "presentation" mode for my wall paper. I selected about 10 images and set the interval to 10 minutes. But it just doesnt work. I can come back 5 minutes, hlaf an hour or several hours later and the image is the exact same, it changes like once a...