Windows 10: changing com port designation

Discus and support changing com port designation in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a HP-Notebook that shows com ports 3, 4, 5. I am trying to connect to another device whos software only accepts com 1 or com 2. How can I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by noelrichardson2, Aug 21, 2019.

1. changing com port designation

I have a HP-Notebook that shows com ports 3, 4, 5. I am trying to connect to another device whos software only accepts com 1 or com 2. How can I change one of my 3 ports to a different com # ? Thanks

:)

noelrichardson2, Aug 21, 2019
  2. Naresh_K Win User

Changing the Port settings for Serial-USB.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

If you want to change the port settings, please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Open Device manager (right click on start button
      and then on Device manager).
    2. Then expand port (COMS & LPT).
    3. Then right click on Prolific USB-to Serial Comm Port and then on properties.
    4. Go to port settings and click on Advanced.
    5. You will be able to make the changes on this screen.

Hope this helps.

Naresh_K, Aug 21, 2019
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Port is being blocked

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

• Are you aware of any changes that happened on the computer prior to this issue?

Upon researching, this seems like an issue due to the port scan. You may want to try the steps listed below and check if it works.

• Login to your Netgear
      NX6200 Extender GUI
    • Click on Advanced tab and choose
      WAN Setup
    • Check the box for Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection.
    • Allow it to update and check if the port is still being blocked.

However, if the issue persists, I suggest you to post your query in the
    TechNet Forums, where we have support professionals
    equipped with knowledge on port forwarding.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Aug 21, 2019
  4. Sasqui Win User

changing com port designation

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Aug 21, 2019
Thema:

changing com port designation

1. changing com port designation - Similar Threads - changing com port

2. COM port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COM port: I am using window 10, I tried to communicate with arduino mega 2560 by grbl controller. its connected but not active some times its active. why it happened. I tried many times I thoiught the com port service is inturupted by itself?...
  3. Designate COM 1 Port for external hardware.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Designate COM 1 Port for external hardware.: I have Windows 11 and a new engine diagnostic tool, connected to computer via USB, needs me to designate COM 1 port to communicate with computer. How do I do this? I can't find any port references in the Device manager....
  4. Designate COM 1 Port for external hardware.

Designate COM 1 Port for external hardware.: I have Windows 11 and a new engine diagnostic tool, connected to computer via USB, needs me to designate COM 1 port to communicate with computer. How do I do this? I can't find any port references in the Device manager....
  5. COM ports

COM ports: Where are the COM ports on windows 11? Looked through device manager and couldnt find any. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/e9069c14-9696-4ac5-99df-a5a67079048a
  6. com ports

in Windows 10 Customization
    com ports: How do I clear in use com ports in win 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/13a6b2f9-f52d-467c-a680-4bfa363a639f
  7. Com Port

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Com Port: My Com 3 Port was working fine and I now plugged in a device and I see 2- Com 2 ports and 1- Com 2 port, none of which are connecting to my device? How can I reinstall the Com 3 port driver if I delete the current one can I still download it>...
  8. Com ports

Com ports: Whenever I try to use serial communation I get an error code #12. The message is I don't have enough room for the com port. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/2cc86c83-2c30-4ef6-b30b-32cbe6508edb
  9. Com Ports

Com Ports: I'm having a problem with com port #5. It gives me a yellow sign with a quote. Whats happening is when I try to make changes to To my Mitsubishi GX 2000 software program for PLC logic controllers it tells me I have a problem with my comm port. I don't think I'm using a comm...
  10. Com ports

in Windows 10 Customization
    Com ports: Where do I find the com port's that are assigned to a device that is connected with Bluetooth https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/1ebde4c0-a50f-4066-aaf1-ef4c7399ebe7