Windows 10: Changing Default Account to Administrator?

Discus and support Changing Default Account to Administrator? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I cannot disable the User Account Control Setting on my computer and it's more than likely because I do not have an administrator set up. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MaryMac2020, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Changing Default Account to Administrator?

I cannot disable the User Account Control Setting on my computer and it's more than likely because I do not have an administrator set up. My administrator is set up as "defaultuser1." How in the world can I fix this? How can I change my default account to be the administrator? Thanks!

:)

MaryMac2020, Jun 19, 2021

2. Unable to change my account type to Administrator and cant create a new account.

Hi Aadil,

I suggest you to activate Default Administrator and try creating a new Account with Administrative privileges. Try the below steps and check if you can create a new Account.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Command prompt(Admin).

• Type the following command and hit
      Enter:

net user administrator /active:yes

Now, sign out from the current account and you will be able to see a new Administrator account. Sign in to the new Administrator Account and you may create
    a new user account
    with administrative privileges. You can also change the current local user account to Administrator Account. Follow the below steps to change the current local user account to Administrator Account.

• Begin by right-clicking the
      Start Icon of Windows, then click Control Panel.

• Then under User Accounts and Family Safety, click
      Change Account Type.

• Then choose the account you wish to change, and double-click it.

• Then click on Change Account Type.

• Then choose the Account Type you want the user to be, you can choose between Standard and Administrator.

• Click on Change Account Type.

After creating the new user account or changing the current account to Administrator Account, use the following command at the command prompt (as mentioned above) to disable the default administrator account:

net user administrator /active:no

Let us know if you need further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Rishad K T, Jun 19, 2021
  3. Arul_D Win User
    How do you change a user account to an administrator account in Windows 10?

Hi Fiona,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to go to control panel and check your user account status. Right click on the start button and select control panel in the menu. In the control panel, click on the 'view by' option in the top right and select 'large icons'. Now, click
    on 'User accounts' and check if your account is listed as Administrator. If it is not displayed as Admin account, click on the option 'Change user account type' and select 'Administrator' and apply changes. Try these steps and let us know the results. If you
    have already tried, please let us know what all troubleshooting steps you have tried so far, so that we can provided you suggestion accordingly.

Arul_D, Jun 19, 2021
  4. angus Win User

Changing Default Account to Administrator?

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Jun 19, 2021
Thema:

Changing Default Account to Administrator?

1. Changing Default Account to Administrator? - Similar Threads - Changing Default Account

2. Changing default account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Changing default account: I just logged into a new computer and accidentally logged into my mum's microsoft account as the default account. How can I remove that account from my computer and set mine as the primary/default account?...
  3. Changing default account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing default account: I just logged into a new computer and accidentally logged into my mum's microsoft account as the default account. How can I remove that account from my computer and set mine as the primary/default account?...
  4. Changing default account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Changing of administrator account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing of administrator account: recently i bought a laptop where at the store they made me knew microsoft id for activation of microsoft office home and student. but when i went into settings i wanted to change my administrator id but could not find any option. please help me how to change administrator id....
  6. Changing of administrator account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing of administrator account: recently i bought a laptop where at the store they made me knew microsoft id for activation of microsoft office home and student. but when i went into settings i wanted to change my administrator id but could not find any option. please help me how to change administrator id....
  7. Changing Account to be Administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Account to be Administrator: After changing my account to be the administrator it still does NOT work I still need permission to delete files. What gives? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-account-to-be-administrator/dcfe4257-6f20-4915-bc9c-9b168699d634
  8. Change Administrator Account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Change Administrator Account: How do I change the Administrator on my 'New' PC? I want it to be the same as on my other, 'Old' PC. this will enable to Sync the two PCs. I am the sole user on both PCs. Thank you. [Original Title: Administrator change.]...
  9. Not able to change my default Windows account to administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    Not able to change my default Windows account to administrator: I am using a Windows 10 pc, and have only one default user account which,by default, is an administrator. It was administrator but I degraded it down to a local/guest account, and now I cant make it an administrator again 1 I have tried the normal way of changing account type...
  10. Changing Administrator Account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Changing Administrator Account: I have a bit of a dilemma. I purchased a new laptop last year while I was teaching at a university. I initially set up my administrator account through my university account since it used Office 365. I subsequently left the university and, since I had been using a PIN to...