Windows 10: Changing default app for opening GIF

Discus and support Changing default app for opening GIF in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Windows 10 Home version 20H2, Irfanview image viewing/editing program Version 4.58 - 64 bitHow do I set Irfanview as the default App for opening GIF... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DevinXM, Sep 8, 2021.

1. DevinXM Win User

Changing default app for opening GIF

Windows 10 Home version 20H2, Irfanview image viewing/editing program Version 4.58 - 64 bitHow do I set Irfanview as the default App for opening GIF images? When I attempted to change the default app setting in "Choose default apps by file type" in Settings, Irfanview isn't included on the list of program choices.The version of Windows 10 that I have on my desktop pc has an option to choose another program when choosing the default program, but for some inexplicable reason the version of Windows 10 that I have on my laptop doesn't have this useful and essential option.

:)

DevinXM, Sep 8, 2021
  2. Bree Win User

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

Changing default app for opening GIF [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

Bree, Sep 8, 2021
  3. Can't change default program to open files.

Hi,

I'm trying to change the default program for .dwg files from Autocad to Draftsight.

I already tried:

• right click > open with > choose another app > always use this app. The file opens in Draftsight without problems, but it still opens with Autocad the next time you double click a dwg file.
    • settings > apps > default apps > choose default apps by file type. This also does not change the default method to Draftsight.

When I type assoc .dwg in command prompt, it shows ".dwg=DraftSight.Drawing"

I see some suggestions to try using the old interface through control panel, but it seems like control panel routes to the new interface.

I also tried changing the association for .txt files from notepad to notepad++ and it doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

petersteele, Sep 8, 2021
  4. binks Win User

How to change default app to open certain file types.

It's not as simple as it seems Changing default app for opening GIF :)
    Although it's easy as pie to change default apps by type file, but how to do it if I want to use app that's not on the default Window list?
    Like in this example,

File is opened by IE but I have installed in my system programme called Notepad++ and I want it to open .xml files whenever i double click on them. But Notepad++ is not on the Windows list

So how to set this up to open .xml files with Notepad++?

binks, Sep 8, 2021
Thema:

1. Changing default app for opening GIF - Similar Threads - Changing default app

2. change "default app"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change "default app": I have just bought a new computer and moved from Win10 to Win11.I used a program on the Win10 D: drive, which when moved to the new computer became the Win11 G: drive. The program's data file contains much of the license data used to reinstall the programs in the old Win10...
  3. Changing default open app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing default open app: How can I change the default open app for pdf files when windows doesn't make adobe acrobat available as an option only Microsoft Edge? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-default-open-app/d2fd766b-1b4d-4f25-9124-5c5ae0a54cd2
  4. Changing default open app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing default open app: How can I change the default open app for pdf files when windows doesn't make adobe acrobat available as an option only Microsoft Edge? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-default-open-app/d2fd766b-1b4d-4f25-9124-5c5ae0a54cd2
  5. Change to NO default App

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change to NO default App: for HTT files windows has Robohelp as the default program. I did this. I want to change it to NOTHING. I don't want windows to choose any app for HTT file types. Currently when in Robohelp, if I try to open an .htt file, windows opens a new instance of the application....
  6. Changing default app for opening a csv file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing default app for opening a csv file: I cannot set excel as the default app to open csv files. I have gone through the process of trying to change the default in windows 10. The only options are notepad, wordpad or word. I have tried looking on microsoft 365 website for other apps and have failed to solve this...
  7. Gif on opening???

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Gif on opening???: I don't know if it's windows related, but a computer in my class has been... Locked? A gif of nyan cat (not joking) is consistently on, the moment the pc is turned on. No button input does anything, but we were able to enter the bios. No windows startup screen is shown, just...
  8. Change Default Program for Opening Gif Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change Default Program for Opening Gif Files: Last thread 1571 replies. Still no answer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-program-for-opening-gif-files/7fc7f779-13cf-4a8e-a9b0-662c66c0dc97"
  9. change the default app to open a file type

change the default app to open a file type: How do I change the default app to open a .wpd document file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-default-app-to-open-a-file-type/6cb7b0b6-d967-4f4b-9d18-8ad6651abac0
  10. changing default apps

changing default apps: I cannot change twinui as default app for videos or photos I turned off screen lock and now I can change default to playing music but when I try change default app for photos or videos the window just closes...