Windows 10: Changing default app not working

Discus and support Changing default app not working in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 Education 1803, and installed Notepad++, which is in my opinion, a far better Notepad. So I changed XML, TXT and other types of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by LimerOS, Nov 25, 2018.

1. LimerOS Win User

Changing default app not working

I installed Windows 10 Education 1803, and installed Notepad++, which is in my opinion, a far better Notepad. So I changed XML, TXT and other types of files' defaults to Notepad++. However, no matter what, they'll always open with their stock Notepad (or WordPad for XML files), not Notepad++. I did select "Always use this app to open [file type] files".

I tried SFC, using all sorts of Settings/Control Panel options, nothing have worked thus far, which is super annoying since Notepad is overly basic, limited and really not good in my opinion.

I also tried applying N++ as a default program multiple times.

Are there any workarounds for this problem?

:)

LimerOS, Nov 25, 2018

2. Cannot change the default apps by using control panel

Original Title: Cannot change default apps.

As said, I cannot change the default apps by using control panel > ... > Default Apps tab.

I cannot change any of the default programs. I use paint.net to edit/view photos and I cannot set it to the default program even though it is on the list, it does not change and i'm stuck with the default photo viewer. This happens with any other app actually,
    I cannot change the default music player there, nor browser or anything.

I followed these steps as suggest by a microsoft engineer, post 2, and later on, no avail.

Can't change default apps in Windows 10

I refuse to use work arounds, I'd like a proper solution is possible, thank you.

RodrigoDrt, Nov 25, 2018
  3. Default apps are not working in Windows 10

Hi,

As you are facing issues with accessing the default apps on your computer, let us try the troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps

Step 2: I suggest you to install all the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of accessing the default apps for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 25, 2018
  4. Changing default app not working

Windows 10 1803 default app change bug

When right clicking a file and going to "Open With", no matter what file it is, I can't change its default. The box is checked, and the app doesn't change.

This is also true of right clicking and going to "Properties". When I click change, the default doesn't change.

This is happening to me on 3 computers now. Steps to reproduce? I could probably do it by:

Installing Windows 8.1, and upgrading to 10 with the media creation tool.

This does not happen with a fresh install from a USB with Windows 10.

Don't tell me to go to "Settings" and change the defaults. The file type list is horrible, and some of my file types are not listed. The registry is not an option on multiple PCs as it is not just one file type. It is ALL file types. No matter what one I
    try, it's always the same result.

Are there any suggestions? I know how to navigate computer, so please do not suggest that I need to go to Settings

> Apps > Default Apps. These options are far from optimized, and they don't have what I need. There isn't even an option to browse for an app to select defaults for when the app doesn't show up in the list.

A quick fix would be nice. Even a simple item in the registry? I could potentially have this problem on all 75 computers in this building as they all started at 8.1 before going to 10. I can't reinstall Windows on every machine. That's ridiculous.

Abraham Hadley, Nov 25, 2018
Thema:

Changing default app not working

1. Changing default app not working - Similar Threads - Changing default app

2. change "default app"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change "default app": I have just bought a new computer and moved from Win10 to Win11.I used a program on the Win10 D: drive, which when moved to the new computer became the Win11 G: drive. The program's data file contains much of the license data used to reinstall the programs in the old Win10...
  3. change "default app"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change "default app": I have just bought a new computer and moved from Win10 to Win11.I used a program on the Win10 D: drive, which when moved to the new computer became the Win11 G: drive. The program's data file contains much of the license data used to reinstall the programs in the old Win10...
  4. How to change default app? Standard instructions are not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change default app? Standard instructions are not working: Help!I'm trying to change the default app for a particular file extension. I've worked through the standard instructions and I can select the app I want to change to, but then Windows completely ignores that I've selected it.I'm not getting any error messages. I can navigate...
  5. How to change default app? Standard instructions are not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change default app? Standard instructions are not working: Help!I'm trying to change the default app for a particular file extension. I've worked through the standard instructions and I can select the app I want to change to, but then Windows completely ignores that I've selected it.I'm not getting any error messages. I can navigate...
  6. Change to NO default App

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change to NO default App: for HTT files windows has Robohelp as the default program. I did this. I want to change it to NOTHING. I don't want windows to choose any app for HTT file types. Currently when in Robohelp, if I try to open an .htt file, windows opens a new instance of the application....
  7. Changing default apps

Changing default apps: I have a old MS word program2010that I own and works well on my Win 10 pc. When I open any doc the default program or app is the one that came with the the Win 10 PC, which you have to activate and purchase. Im perfectly happy with my old version. When I go to change it in...
  8. Default App change

Default App change: Windows 10 does not appear to give me the ability to change my browser default. The current comments I'm reading seem to confirm this. Is it true? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-app-change/308c282c-6769-4cd6-bef7-d3d46ade53f7
  9. changing default apps

changing default apps: I cannot change twinui as default app for videos or photos I turned off screen lock and now I can change default to playing music but when I try change default app for photos or videos the window just closes...
  10. Changing the Default App for JPGs Doesn't Work

Changing the Default App for JPGs Doesn't Work: I re-installed Windows last week, and now the default for jpgs (in the "choose the apps by file type" section) but it refuses to change. It's set to I click on the plus-in-a-box and the list of apps appears, including Photoshop, which is what I want instead of Photos. Voila!...