Windows 10: Changing default folder locations for Public users

Discus and support Changing default folder locations for Public users in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've upgraded two machines going from a single 1T hard drive to a SSD and a 1T hard drive for data. I was able to change the default user file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Byteguy, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Byteguy Win User

Changing default folder locations for Public users

I've upgraded two machines going from a single 1T hard drive to a SSD and a 1T hard drive for data. I was able to change the default user file locations for docs, pics, music, video, and download. When I went to do the same for the public user, I was not allowed to change the locations. Must be missing something.

The reason for changing the path to the folders is to make the defaults save data to the large drive without difficulty

Anyone here able to tell me how to do this?

:)

Byteguy, Apr 1, 2016
  2. Sitti-NK Win User

File Explorer Libraries resetting on Wondows 10

I have been testing some more and found a partial fix.

If I move the default documents folder from C:\users\myname\Documents to C:\users\myname\OneDrive\Documents and set it as the Default & Public Save location for the Library it remains so after a reboot and the C:\users\myname\Documents folder is no longer
    added automatically.

This now corrects the save locations and the list of Folders included in the Documents Library.

However, after a reboot the order of Folders in the Library is still changed.

Library set as:

C:\users\myname\OneDrive\Documents --- Default and Public Save

\\Server\MyDocs

\\Server\SharedDocs

Becomes:

\\Server\MyDocs

\\Server\SharedDocs

C:\users\myname\OneDrive\Documents --- Default and Public Save

after reboot.

This is much better but the order should not change.

Any ideas would be greatfully received.

Nigel

Sitti-NK, Apr 1, 2016
  3. Wietse___ Win User
    Destkop File Location

After a windows update my documents, pictures, music, video and desktop folders paths were all reset to there default locations. I have multiple drives in my pc so I changed the path of the pictures,music, documents and video folder to my D drive. But when
    I changed the path of my Desktop folder I made a mistake. I changed it to C/users/public/public desktop. But now I am unable to revert the change. It denies me access and when you right click on the desktop icon and go to desktop and then the location tab,
    it won't show the options to revert, change or target.

Hopefully you guys could help me.

Wietse___, Apr 1, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

You could relocate the complete Users folder to another drive: Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

That moves the complete Users folder, every user including Public.

Kari, Apr 1, 2016
  5. Byteguy Win User
    Thanks--found a post in another place that gave me directions on how to do it. I'll try this and see how it works.

Byteguy, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Changing default folder locations for Public users - Similar Threads - Changing default folder

2. Public users folder gone

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Public users folder gone: My C:\Users\Public folder just vanished into thin air I didn't delete it or anything its just goneHow can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/public-users-folder-gone/358230a2-4692-4cc2-9b29-27b9248b0f3b
  3. Public users folder gone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public users folder gone: My C:\Users\Public folder just vanished into thin air I didn't delete it or anything its just goneHow can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/public-users-folder-gone/358230a2-4692-4cc2-9b29-27b9248b0f3b
  4. Public users folder gone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Change Default Location of Picture Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Default Location of Picture Folder: I want to change the default location of my pictures folder from out of my OneDrive and just under the main user folder. I keep getting this error. Is there a workaround for this?...
  6. Change Default Location of Picture Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Default Location of Picture Folder: I want to change the default location of my pictures folder from out of my OneDrive and just under the main user folder. I keep getting this error. Is there a workaround for this?...
  7. Restoring Default User Folder Locations

Restoring Default User Folder Locations: Hello. A couple weeks ago I did a fresh install of Windows and all my folders are in particular locations across multiple drives. Now, while I was configuring the location of my Downloads folder while formatting my backup/downloads HDD (Seagate BarraCuda), I had temporarily...
  8. Unable to change location of user folders

Unable to change location of user folders: To save my space on C drive (containing the OS), I always change the location of the default user folders (Desktop, Documents, Videos, Music, Downloads, Pictures) to a different drive from the Properties->Location tab->Move. I did a mistake in moving the 3D Objects folder, I...
  9. Changing default folder location in the start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing default folder location in the start menu: Hi there! On the start - sorry for any possible mistakes, English is my second language ;) I've got everything set up perfectly, the problem is, that I want default Windows buttons in my start bar (The Documents, Images and Personal Files ones)...
  10. Change default location for new users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change default location for new users: In previous versions of Windows, a quick registry hack has let me create my main user (after the one in C:\Users created when installing Windows) in E:\Users rather than C:\Users. This is the method I've used before: Use Regedit to navigate to:...