Windows 10: Changing Default Icons in Win10

Discus and support Changing Default Icons in Win10 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; How do you change the default icons that are used by Windows 10? Search results have been pretty muddy. This just doesn't seem like it should be this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/tkloc, Oct 27, 2021.

1. /u/tkloc Win User

Changing Default Icons in Win10

How do you change the default icons that are used by Windows 10? Search results have been pretty muddy. This just doesn't seem like it should be this difficult. I'm mostly interested in folders and file types (mp3, mp4, pdf, etc.)

Btw, I've been changing icons individually for quite awhile now, but I found a pretty kick ass icon set and I'd like to let it fly.

Any guidance would be much appreciated~

submitted by /u/tkloc
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/tkloc, Oct 27, 2021
  2. MCK
    mck Win User

Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    1. Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    2. I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    3. Click OK
    4. Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

3. How can I change the default video player to something that isnt in the list of suggested programs

I want to change the default win10 video player to something that isnt in the list of suggested programs.

JohnSmithQR, Oct 27, 2021
  4. Phil D Win User

File Explorer Navigation Pane Default Icons Have Changed

Hello! First time posting here.

I asked this question about a week ago on the HP community, and although a suggestion was offered, the problem persists.

I cannot give an exact date, but at some point my File Explorer Navigation Pane Icons changed from the default:

Changing Default Icons in Win10 [​IMG]

to this:

Changing Default Icons in Win10 [​IMG]

Notice they are folder icons with the unique icon picture 'overlay'

Brief history:
    • I have had my HP Spectre x360 15 (4K touch display) for about 6 weeks.
    • Initial file transfer was done using Windows (7) Easy Transfer (migwiz) which I have used on other machines without incident. Using the advanced selection; no settings were transferred, just Documents, Pictures, Music, Video.
    • I do not use any outside themes; just experimented a few times using the built in HP themes.
    • I have gone so far as to try overriding the current icons using the registry modifications mentioned in this Ten Forums post: Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10
    • When I tried the suggestions in Option One, the only change which occurred was that the unique icon picture was removed and only the plain folder icon remained. Yet the registry entries outlined in Option 2 “Change Icons of Folders in This PC for All Users” all appear to be correct.
    • There are no “exotic” programs on the computer – just Office 365, Adobe Photoshop/Premiere Elements, Bootstrap Studio, Inkscape, etc.
    Purchased at the same time was an HP Envy x360 laptop which is almost identical in specifications and installed programs except it has a regular Full HD touch screen (1920x1080). The Navigation Pane icons there are the expected 'default' as shown in the second screenshot.

Any ideas what may have caused this and any suggestions how to get the default icons back?

Phil D, Oct 27, 2021
Thema:

1. Changing Default Icons in Win10 - Similar Threads - Changing Default Icons

2. How to change the icon to default of os:c

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change the icon to default of os:c: how to change the os:c icon to default https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-icon-to-default-of-osc/173ec6a1-89f9-44f0-bb26-542ddcd601d1
  3. Change default folder icon

Change default folder icon: Hello, I wanted to know if it is possible to change the icon of the yellow folder in explorer not only for one as you showed but for all the yellow folders in one action. thank you 169110
  4. Change folder icons by default?

Change folder icons by default?: Hello i have a server and i use because i have so many folders i have icons for the folders but when i access them on another pc there are only empty folders and i have to set them again i can save the icons https://www.gutefrage.net/frage/ordner-icons-standardmaessig-aendern
  5. change default apps in WIN10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change default apps in WIN10: How to change default apps in WIN10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-apps-in-win10/ad55df4c-4801-4c89-90dd-bbf663bbabe0
  6. Changing default app in win10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing default app in win10: Hi, Simple stuff. All I want to do is change default program for .webp image files, so they're opened in the Photos app. Change option in properties doesn't list it, it cannot be chosen in control panel's default app by file type either. [ATTACH] Any other ideas?...
  7. Win10 Unable to change default cursor

Win10 Unable to change default cursor: Tried to change default cursor. From Settings I chose black, just the default size...hit apply. no change. From Ease of access, tried all nine variables, hit apply each time, no change From control panel I get the same menu as Settings. Same result. When I hit apply, the...
  8. How to change the default language in win10?

How to change the default language in win10?: This problem is annoying. I have Chinese and English languages installed on my computer, and chose English as my first language. but English won't act as my default language. whenever I open an app, Chinese becomes my default languages. Here is my settings: [ATTACH]...
  9. Icons in menu changed to default

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons in menu changed to default: In my main menu, I just noticed many default folder icons on programs that had their own icons. For instance all program icons in H, I, J and L names are now default folder icons. Any way to change them back ? Thanks 116714
  10. Changing Default Library Icons?

Changing Default Library Icons?: Okay so I know this has to do with registry editing. The problem is I don't know how to do it. The ones I want to change the most are these: To clarify I do not mean the ones under C:/User/Me" but "This PC" as you see below. [img] I refuse to believe this cannot be...