Windows 10: Changing default install location

Discus and support Changing default install location in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Alright, so I got a new hard drive today and I'd like to install my apps from the Microsoft store on that drive. However in the drop down menu in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/renaultmeganefan, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Changing default install location

Alright, so I got a new hard drive today and I'd like to install my apps from the Microsoft store on that drive. However in the drop down menu in "Change where new content is saved" only the C: drive shows.

In file explorer it appears and I've installed steam games to it and those were fine. It's just Microsoft store apps.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

submitted by /u/renaultmeganefan
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/renaultmeganefan, Jan 6, 2020

2. Can I Change My Default Desktop Location??

Hello Lucas,

You may change the default location for the desktop and library folders on Windows 10.

To change the default location of the folders, please follow these steps:

• Click Start, type This PC and press
      Enter
    • Right-click the Desktop folder and select Properties.
    • Go to Location tab and click Move.
    • Find the new location for the Desktop folder and click
      Select
      Folder.
    • Click OK to finish.

The steps must be done on each of the library folders.

Regards.

Devlin Sco, Jan 6, 2020
  3. Change the default installation location

I apologize, I hit send too quickly.

Once you are on disk x, make sure the drive is formatted.

click on the space next to the drive and assign it a letter and its volume.

here is an article as well on disk formatting:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-format-new-h...

Once you have verified those steps. Then you can change the default save location. To do this, you can follow these steps:

1. go to the window and open the start menu. Type settings.

2. with settings open, from the left menu, select storage.

3. once storage is open, you can chose what you want to save and where based on the categories of apps, documents, music, videos, etc.

Here is another article on saving the to a new location as well.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-default-sa...

please let me know if you run into any issues at all!

Have a great day!

Danielle

DanielleFergus, Jan 6, 2020
  4. Changing default install location

Default Save Locations

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

By default we cannot change the installation location for Apps, however it can be changed through registry changes.

I would suggest you to make the changes if you are comfortable working with registry because if we make any small mistakes, we can make the computer unbootable.

You need to be logged in as the administrator to perform this actions:

• Press Windows keys +R, type regedit and hit Enter.
    • Go to this location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx
    On the right-side, double-click on PackageRoot and change the default value data to the location of your other drive/external drive. For instance, if drive letter is “G”, then enter G:\ in the value data box, and then click Ok button
    to set your drive as default location for apps.

We suggest you create a new folder under the root of your drive and enter the path of that folder so that you can use the drive to store other files as well. That is, create a folder named
    WinApps on the drive, enter G:\WinApps (replace “G” with drive’s letter) as the location in value data box.

From now on, whenever you install a new app from the Store, Windows 10 will install them on the other drive.

NOTE: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that
    you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number
    to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

Changing default install location

1. Changing default install location - Similar Threads - Changing default install

2. Changing default file location

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing default file location: Dear All, Is there any DOS command that can change the default of C:\Users\ to another drive location ?Pls advise Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-default-file-location/b3587943-e145-4402-8e37-a92ebe876302
  3. Changing default file location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing default file location: Dear All, Is there any DOS command that can change the default of C:\Users\ to another drive location ?Pls advise Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-default-file-location/b3587943-e145-4402-8e37-a92ebe876302
  4. Changing the default save location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing the default save location: I wanna change mt default save location on my pc since im gonna download games from the microsoft store from the xbox game pass. So i need to change my default save location on my pc for my apps. But when i try to change to my other hard drive it tells me that i have apps on...
  5. Changing default app location.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing default app location.: I have Game Pass and want to install a few games, however, when I choose to change the default app location in Windows it mentions it will have to remove existing apps on the other drive. C: Is my OS Drive and has all my game modifications on it, D: However is for Steam and...
  6. Changing default app location.

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing default app location.: I have Game Pass and want to install a few games, however, when I choose to change the default app location in Windows it mentions it will have to remove existing apps on the other drive. C: Is my OS Drive and has all my game modifications on it, D: However is for Steam and...
  7. How to change default app installation location?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to change default app installation location?: Please someone tell me how to change default app installation location. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-default-app-installation-location/c1cf08e2-1608-400a-a055-38938e1ca8da
  8. Change Default Installation Location?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change Default Installation Location?: Hello! I was wondering if there was a way to change my default "C:" drive location to my storage "E:" drive location. I have some programs that I am trying to install and they are automatically installing themselves into the "C:" drive. So I was hoping there was a way to...
  9. Changing Default Save Location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing Default Save Location: Just upgraded SSD and installed fresh version of Windows 10 version 1909. My SSD is the C: drive. Prior to the SSD upgrade, files such as Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures were saved to my D: Hard Drive. Example: D: >Gagnon >Documents In other words my D:...
  10. Change contacts default location

in Windows 10 Support
    Change contacts default location: I have searched for hours, and can only find changing the contacts location in Outlook. I use contacts from Word 2010 to fax recipients. After creating a document, and selecting my HP Printer Fax, clicking on print displays the contacts from the current default location...