Windows 10: Changing default language in Windows 10, from Russian to English

Discus and support Changing default language in Windows 10, from Russian to English in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I recently bought in Russia a laptop with Windows 10 already installed. Predictably the default language was Russian; less expectedly, there was no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Tim123ABC, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Tim123ABC Win User

Changing default language in Windows 10, from Russian to English

I recently bought in Russia a laptop with Windows 10 already installed. Predictably the default language was Russian; less expectedly, there was no scope to change the default language to English or any other language. I went to settings, region, language, install a new language, etc. (and various other steps proposed in various threads, including in this community) but to no avail. Microsoft has simply blocked scope to change the default language.

I assume my only option is to uninstall this version of Windows 10 and install/buy a new version, from (for example) the UK Microsoft website, at a cost of GBP 120. So, my questions are...

1. Will this actually work? Before paying GBP 120 for a UK version I'm keen to be reassured. Logically it should work, but I am losing faith in Microsoft's logic when in comes to language flexibility!

2. Will other software that I download then appear in English? Currently, much software (Chrome for example) comes in Russian because of the particular Windows 10 I have now. Will all software downloads come in English once I switch to a UK-sourced version of Windows 10? Logically, yes, but I am losing confidence in Microsoft.

3. This last question is to Microsoft specifically. Why do you block the scope to change default language in Windows 10 in some countries? I know it is not just Russia by reading other threads in this community. From a common sense point of view, it seems absurd. Life is increasingly international - it is inappropriate to assume that if you buy a laptop in country X then the operating system (and therefore much downloaded software) must be in the language of country X. Think of expatriates, migrants, long term visitors. Indeed you, Microsoft, in your advertising continuously present yourself as being a driver of diversity and 'internationalism' - hard to equate this with what you are doing with your operating system in some selected countries. Of course the answer to this is... it is not an oversight or bug... you know very very well why you are dong this! I would appreciate if you would share the explanation in this forum.

I will be the first to apologise for all my comments if you tell me the default language CAN be changed (Russian version of Windows 10, remember). But all threads on the subject (at least for the countries where Windows has a block on default language change) lead to a dead end. (Readers - please note, again, the obvious route via settings/region/language/load-new-language does not work.)

Thank you in advance for your advice on this.

:)

Tim123ABC, Feb 10, 2019
  2. sohan-zx Win User

how to change default language from russian based window 10 to english.

i recently bought a laptop in russia. how to change default language from russian based window 10 to english language. ?

sohan-zx, Feb 10, 2019
  3. Ghange russian system language to English on Windows 10

I just bought a new laptop with Windows 10. And during the set up settings I choosed the Russian language for system. I thought it will be more comfortable for me. But when I installed programs to my laptop, such as Microsoft Visual Studio I got it with
    Russian language. But I don't want it at all, and it even didn't ask me during the installation. So I suggest it happened because of the system language, which is Russian.

So, how can I change it to English, that all my system will be in English?

Hope for your help.

svetlanavovk, Feb 10, 2019
  4. Kalip60 Win User

Windows 10 changed to Russian, but another language have been set to default.

• Are there any other users who have access on your computer? No.
    • Have you done any recent updates on your Windows version? If there was a recent update then it could did something.
    • Have you installed any programs, apps, or software prior to this issue? Not really.
    • Do you remember downloading any files from the internet that may relate to this issue? No, but i did a virus scan and it showed nothing.
    • What other troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    Tried to download the russian language pack, install it, switch it to default, then back to hungarian, i also tried this with the english language pack too, nothing happens when i switch to a language in the settings / control panel, it just remains russian.

Kalip60, Feb 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Changing default language in Windows 10, from Russian to English - Similar Threads - Changing default language

2. how to change default language in windows 11 from German to English

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change default language in windows 11 from German to English: I have a computer. that has German as its default language. I would like to change the default language from German to English. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-default-language-in-windows-11-from/f8268e2d-feb3-4a6c-8d0f-166b84d2c45c
  3. how to change default language in windows 11 from German to English

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to change default language in windows 11 from German to English: I have a computer. that has German as its default language. I would like to change the default language from German to English. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-default-language-in-windows-11-from/f8268e2d-feb3-4a6c-8d0f-166b84d2c45c
  4. U.S. English and Russian Language are not removed from logging on with Password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    U.S. English and Russian Language are not removed from logging on with Password: I went to the Microsoft website for a few months and downloaded Windows 11. A month ago I discovered an error in the update, after the restart it will turn through the list of choice of the operating system, but this is not the case when I turn off and turn on the computer. I...
  5. U.S. English and Russian Language are not removed from logging on with Password

U.S. English and Russian Language are not removed from logging on with Password: I went to the Microsoft website for a few months and downloaded Windows 11. A month ago I discovered an error in the update, after the restart it will turn through the list of choice of the operating system, but this is not the case when I turn off and turn on the computer. I...
  6. Changing Windows 10 language from Japanese to English

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Windows 10 language from Japanese to English: I just purchased a Raytrek Windows 10 tablet from Japan. I anticipated that the default language would be Japanese, but I also assumed that once I began setup, I could change the language to English. This is the first window I encounter in setup. I assume it's for languages,...
  7. Changing Windows 10 language from Japanese to English

Changing Windows 10 language from Japanese to English: I just purchased a Raytrek Windows 10 tablet from Japan. I anticipated that the default language would be Japanese, but I also assumed that once I began setup, I could change the language to English. This is the first window I encounter in setup. I assume it's for languages,...
  8. Why is windows 10 is two different languages? Russian and English

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is windows 10 is two different languages? Russian and English: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/danielsebastian9 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gkdm87/why_is_windows_10_is_two_different_languages/
  9. how can i change language on keyboard, ie English to Russian?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how can i change language on keyboard, ie English to Russian?: I am using Duolingo to learn Russian. how do I type answers in Russian? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-change-language-on-keyboard-ie-english/027d5e49-d622-4f63-b9a1-5d15821da6b3
  10. change from the Spanish language to the English language in Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change from the Spanish language to the English language in Windows: I would like to change from the Spanish language to the English language in Windows, including the language that is displayed in File Explorer. Any suggestions would be appreciated!` "Editar opciones de idioma y teclado" leads to the window below. It shows English, as I...