Windows 10: Changing Default New User Profiles on Windows 10

Discus and support Changing Default New User Profiles on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm trying to figure out how to change the default new user profile on WIndows 10. I'm not sure if I'm using the right terminology, but I'll describe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Robert Alvarez Cano, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Changing Default New User Profiles on Windows 10

I'm trying to figure out how to change the default new user profile on WIndows 10. I'm not sure if I'm using the right terminology, but I'll describe what I'm trying to do. Whenever I add a new local user, I'd like that account to be customized a certain way. This way I don't have to change around the settings, remove/add shortcuts to the desktop, etc. to every new local user I set up.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks!

- Rob

:)

Robert Alvarez Cano, Jul 12, 2019

2. New Account/User Issues

Hi,

When you create a new user account, Windows uses the Default user profile as a template to construct the files for the newly created user account. You might be experiencing issues creating new accounts due to a corrupt Default profile. To
    resolve the issue, we suggest reinstating the Default folder in the
    Users directory by following these steps:

• Open the C:\Users folder using Windows Explorer.
    • Rename the Default user profile folder to Default.OLD.
    • Download a zip of C:\Users\Default from a Windows 10 installation that doesn't have this problem.
    • Unzip the non-corrupt Default profile into C:\Users.
    • Try logging in to the new user account and check if the problem is resolved.

Let us know how it turns out.

Aileen Alf, Jul 12, 2019
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Changing Default New User Profiles on Windows 10 :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jul 12, 2019
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Changing Default New User Profiles on Windows 10

User Profile Service failed

To resolve your concern, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Copy the Default folder (in C:\Users) from another windows 10 computer.
    • Rename the Default folder to something like DefaultOLD (just to keep it for safety reasons).
    • Paste it in your Users folder.
    • To make sure that you won't have problems with permissions of the "implant" folder, just transfer it via a FAT/FAT32 formatted USB stick (those filesystems don't have permissions).

This will provide solution to the error User Profile Service failed.

Let us know if you need more assistance.

Rose Cal, Jul 12, 2019
Thema:

Changing Default New User Profiles on Windows 10

1. Changing Default New User Profiles on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Changing Default User

2. User Profile Name by Default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Profile Name by Default: Hi everyone, my Microsoft email id is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, when on clean install i enter this email to login the user profile name under " C:\user\mail2 " shows like this.I want to know is there a way to change this " C:\user\mail2 " to " C:\user\...
  3. User Profile Name by Default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Profile Name by Default: Hi everyone, my Microsoft email id is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, when on clean install i enter this email to login the user profile name under " C:\user\mail2 " shows like this.I want to know is there a way to change this " C:\user\mail2 " to " C:\user\...
  4. Windows user creation and change the default user profile

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows user creation and change the default user profile: Hi everyone, This is the first time i use this site so I have no idea how it works, anyway... In the company where I work we need to create different users but with the same applications and configurations, but on different PCs. I tried to use the guide to enable...
  5. User Profile Changed Into Backup and logged in using a default new profile

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    User Profile Changed Into Backup and logged in using a default new profile: recently on 18-8-2020 my pc updated automatically . after the upate as i logged in my laptop .... it was as if i bought a new computer and there were no files in my desktop and other folders. when went in The Pc- Users- {My Main Account Username } i found all my files in...
  6. Windows 10 - changing default user

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 - changing default user: I giving my computer to my friend. I want to change the default user i already created a new admin user and make sure they cam access appstore and has microsoft edge. Then i want to remove my profile original default profile completely. How do i do this with windows 10?...
  7. Default user profile startup

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Default user profile startup: I added a user profile for my wife to my PC, but for some reason the PC always boots tmher profile and Imhave to sign myself in. Is there a way t make my profile the default. Have removed the need for login with netplwiz. thanks UPDATE found the answer in netplwiz just had...
  8. Change default location for new users

Change default location for new users: In previous versions of Windows, a quick registry hack has let me create my main user (after the one in C:\Users created when installing Windows) in E:\Users rather than C:\Users. This is the method I've used before: Use Regedit to navigate to:...
  9. windows 10 1709 has changed my default user profile

windows 10 1709 has changed my default user profile: The update seems to have installed fine, except, my default desktop and user folders don't open like they used to. It seems that the update has created a new user profile and is using that one instead of my old one! My original folders were under: This PC/Users/Mark...
  10. Customize Default User Profile for New Accounts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Customize Default User Profile for New Accounts in Windows 10: How to: Customize Default User Profile for New Accounts in Windows 10 How to Customize Default User Profile for New Accounts in Windows 10 [img] Information Default User Profile is stored in a hidden folder in main profile folder Users. When a new user is created,...