Windows 10: Changing default power settings for Windows 10 deployment.

Discus and support Changing default power settings for Windows 10 deployment. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I've been struggling to find a way to set the default power plan AND power mode for any new Windows 10 computers that get imaged... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Alex Saad ASaad, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Changing default power settings for Windows 10 deployment.

Hello everyone,

I've been struggling to find a way to set the default power plan AND power mode for any new Windows 10 computers that get imaged through MDT. As far as I can tell, 'power plan' is the options you can see in the Control Panel, whereas 'power mode' is the different settings on the slider visible after clicking the battery icon in the system tray. What I would like to do is have the power plan set to Balanced and the power mode set to Better Battery regardless of whether or not the laptop is plugged into a charger.

If I take a snapshot of the registry on a particular computer, then manually adjust the power settings, and then take an additional registry snapshot to compare, there seem to be three registry entries that control these settings:

[Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes]

"ActivePowerScheme"

"ActiveOverlayAcPowerScheme"

"ActiveOverlayDcPowerScheme"

'ActivePowerScheme' seems to be the setting you can adjust in the Control Panel, with the GUID "381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e" correlating to the 'Balanced' power plan. The other two registry keys represent the value of the slider after clicking the battery icon one for battery, one for power adapter, with "961cc777-2547-4f9d-8174-7d86181b8a7a" correlating to the 'Better Battery' power mode.

If I try to edit the values for these keys through a .reg file or through various reg add commands I get access denied errors. I looked through Group Policy for a way to set this and there is a GPO that will set the value of 'ActivePowerScheme', but there is no GPO for the other two. When I image a computer right now, the power settings default to 'Balanced/Better performance'. Has anyone had success changing this value without having to go through each computer one at a time?

:)

Alex Saad ASaad, Apr 19, 2021
  2. Ryan Mon1 Win User

Can't Change Power Settings

Thank you for the quick response. We will now move to the second phase of troubleshooting. We suggest that you follow the steps provided below:

Method 1: Run the Power Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with your system's power settings. Here's how:

• In the search box, type troubleshooting, and then click
      Troubleshooting
    • Click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Power troubleshooter.

Method 2: Customize Power options.

If issue persists, the the following steps and check.

• In the search box, type Power options, and then click.
    • Click on choose when to turn off display from the left pane.
    • Click on Restore default settings for this plan.
    • Click on Change advance power settings.
    • Scroll down and expand Power buttons and lid.
    • Expand Power button actions.
    • Click on the Setting and set it to Shut down.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Ryan Mon1, Apr 19, 2021
  3. Guru-# Win User
    USB settings in Power Plan Options on Windows 10 is missing, how to restore it?

As per the below suggested steps I am trying to disable the USB in USB selective suspend setting in my Dell laptop with Windows 10 Home. however, I do not find the USB Settings at all in two modes Balanced mode or Dell (Active) mode under change advanced
    power settings. How to restore it?

USB Selective Suspend Settings, follow the steps below:

1. Press Windows + X.
    2. Choose Power Options.
    3. Select Choose when to turn off the display.
    4. Open Change advanced power settings.
    5. Expand USB settings and USB selective suspend setting.
    6. Select Enabled (default) or Disabled.
    7. Click Apply, then OK.

Guru-#, Apr 19, 2021
  4. Jerry8A Win User

Changing default power settings for Windows 10 deployment.

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Apr 19, 2021
Thema:

Changing default power settings for Windows 10 deployment.

1. Changing default power settings for Windows 10 deployment. - Similar Threads - Changing default power

2. Windows 10 - Sysprep resets Default Apps and Power Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 - Sysprep resets Default Apps and Power Settings: Hello,We have upgraded our Windows 10 image to 21H2. In Audit mode, default browser is Chrome, default video player is VLC Player. But after Sysprep, default browser resets to MS Edge, PDF's are switched from adobe to edge and etc. It also resets Power Settings, which is High...
  3. Windows 10 - Sysprep resets Default Apps and Power Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 - Sysprep resets Default Apps and Power Settings: Hello,We have upgraded our Windows 10 image to 21H2. In Audit mode, default browser is Chrome, default video player is VLC Player. But after Sysprep, default browser resets to MS Edge, PDF's are switched from adobe to edge and etc. It also resets Power Settings, which is High...
  4. Windows 10 - Sysprep resets Default Apps and Power Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Change default setting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change default setting: How do I change the default setting on the weather tile please RayTJ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-setting/be9c01ab-63da-4000-96f3-d6bb0314bae5
  6. Windows 10 change/installation/deployment

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 change/installation/deployment: Hi, i intend to change 20 machines with new ones. I need to back up the machine first, with an image and then reinstall it on the new machine. Since i can't use a centrilized solution, i want do it manually, one by one. I wonder what happens to windows the license, after...
  7. changing default setting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    changing default setting: I have set my laptop to open a .dav document with Widows Media Player. However, that can't do it so I now wish to change to another programme that will open it but can't work out how to....
  8. changing default settings

in Browsers and Email
    changing default settings: I have office 2013 and use outlook for my email. When I delete a message it goes into my trash folder and not my deleted folder. Plus the trash folder keeps only a few days of deleted emai9ls. How can I change outlook to send deleted items to the deleted folder and also keep...
  9. Change Power Plan Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Power Plan Settings in Windows 10: How to: Change Power Plan Settings in Windows 10 How to Change Power Plan Settings in Windows 10 A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings that manages how your computer uses power. Power plans can help you save energy, maximize system performance, or...
  10. Change Default Action of Power Button in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Action of Power Button in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Action of Power Button in Windows 10 How to Change Default Action of Power Button in Windows 10 The Power Options lets users specify the default action to take when the system hardware power button on the PC is pressed. Users can specify one of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes\activeoverlayacpowerscheme