Windows 10: Changing Default Program Download Directory

Discus and support Changing Default Program Download Directory in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; About a week ago I was researching how to change my default app download directory, because my SSD was getting low on storage, and I had an almost... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Johnny_56, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Johnny_56 Win User

Changing Default Program Download Directory

About a week ago I was researching how to change my default app download directory, because my SSD was getting low on storage, and I had an almost empty hard drive. To complete this task I went into regedit and followed the instructions on a forum to change the directory to a folder on my hard drive that I named "Programs". Everything was going smoothly, and the apps I test downloaded went into the folder on my hard drive. Then, when my computer notified me that there was a windows update available, I restarted and went through the whole procedure to update my PC. At the end of the restart and installation though, I was given a message. I think it was something like "Windows update failed, undoing changes". After a bit more research, I found that if you change your directory, for windows updates, windows tries to download these updates onto the new directory, but when the update saw that there were no windows files present in my new download directory on my hard drive, it didn't update anything (I think this is why the update failed). I didn't want to mess with anything else on my computer, so I simply changed the default download directory back to the "Program Files" folder on my C: drive, by using regedit again.

Anywase,

How can I change the default download directory for programs that are installed through .exe files without messing with windows and its updates?

Thanks in advance,

-Johnny

:)

Johnny_56, Feb 22, 2019

2. Changing the default directories on Omnia

Is it possible to change the default directories on the Omnia.

Ideally I want to change the default my documents and sub folders to my storage/my documents/ and same for the default program installation path instead of programs I would like it to be my storage/programs/

Also I know there is a registry hack to change the ringtone default directory, is there one to change the default SMS / Alarms tone directory?

Thanks for any help.

Jay_Samsung_Omnia, Feb 22, 2019
  3. Directory Size Utility

Is that the one for download in the original post? You should list the version up for download. *Toast :toast:

stinger608, Feb 22, 2019
  4. Changing Default Program Download Directory

Directory Size Utility

New! Directory Size Utility BETA v1.1

New features!
    • New button icons!
    • New Total selected directory size!
    • Made the Exit button text bigger!
    Download here

Mindweaver, Feb 22, 2019
Thema:

Changing Default Program Download Directory

1. Changing Default Program Download Directory - Similar Threads - Changing Default Program

2. Changing Default Program Installation Directory Using Registry Editor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Default Program Installation Directory Using Registry Editor: I'm trying to change the default program installation directory on my laptop to my D drive. Everything I've read online said to just change the ProgramFilesDir and ProgramFilesDir x86 to the new drive path, however, do I not need to change the other directories to the D drive...
  3. Changing Default Program Installation Directory Using Registry Editor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing Default Program Installation Directory Using Registry Editor: I'm trying to change the default program installation directory on my laptop to my D drive. Everything I've read online said to just change the ProgramFilesDir and ProgramFilesDir x86 to the new drive path, however, do I not need to change the other directories to the D drive...
  4. Change default home directory path

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change default home directory path: Hi everyone, I have a windows 10 Pro server with a thinstuff tool to enable more than 3 remote desktop sessions at same time. This server has a 254 SSD boot disk with OS windows 10, and an extra 1TB Volume for data storage. My question is simple, i need to change the...
  5. change default home directory windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    change default home directory windows 10: New laptop, Dell 7000, Windows 10 Microsoft decided to create a home directory for me as c:\users\chars I would like for default home to be c:\users\charsmith How could I do that? Thanks....
  6. Change default program

Change default program: I just got a new computer. I always use Paint Shop Pro for my pictures. But I can't get Windows to open all pictures in it. I always have to go more steps. And even if I say to use Paint Shop as program - for sure next time I open a picture I get Windows photo app. Any idea...
  7. Change default program

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change default program: Hi I have both OneNote2010 and OneNote2016 installed (because you must the whole 2016-office suite) but I just use the 2010 version After the last Windows update default program for (.one) has changed back to 2016 And I cant find the 2010 version to add How can you...
  8. Change command prompt default directory

Change command prompt default directory: How do I change the command prompt's default directory in Windows 10? I see instructions in Sevenforums to do this in Windows 7 but not in Windows 10. Will the Windows 7 instructions work in Windows 10? 54910
  9. How to change the default Quick Access Directories?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change the default Quick Access Directories?: When you delete the files inside %AppData%\Microsoft\windows\recent\automaticdestinations and %AppData%\Microsoft\windows\recent\customdestinations directories, Windows 10 automatically recreates the default Quick Access directories (Documents, Pictures, etc.) Is there a way...
  10. Can not change files or programs directory.

in Windows 10 Support
    Can not change files or programs directory.: Let me explain. I upgraded to windows 10 flawlessly. I want to change my .txt document to open with Notepad++ for coding. But every time I click properties>change Nothing pops up. Does anybody know a workaround or a fix? I need to get to work.*cry What I mean > ​Screenshot -...