Windows 10: Changing Default Program for File Type

Discus and support Changing Default Program for File Type in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I had downloaded a file with .kmfs extension. What I was to do, but did not know then, was to rename it as .exe and execute the program. But, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SubramanianK2, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Changing Default Program for File Type

Hi,

I had downloaded a file with .kmfs extension. What I was to do, but did not know then, was to rename it as .exe and execute the program. But, I had renamed it as a .pdf thinking the file is ready to read. Now, I want to change the file type default as nothing, so I can rename the file and execute it. Can someone help with answers please?
    Thank you!

:)

SubramanianK2, Mar 21, 2019
  2. ihardXO Win User

can't change file type default program

I am trying to make my music player the default player for mp3, etc music files. I find the file type in the list of files, I see the player in the list of apps but it just sits and looks at me. I can't actually make any changes to the default program.

Am I doing something wrong?

Win 10 x64 Home Premium

Richard

ihardXO, Mar 21, 2019
  3. Can't change default program to open files.

Hi,

I'm trying to change the default program for .dwg files from Autocad to Draftsight.

I already tried:

• right click > open with > choose another app > always use this app. The file opens in Draftsight without problems, but it still opens with Autocad the next time you double click a dwg file.
    • settings > apps > default apps > choose default apps by file type. This also does not change the default method to Draftsight.

When I type assoc .dwg in command prompt, it shows ".dwg=DraftSight.Drawing"

I see some suggestions to try using the old interface through control panel, but it seems like control panel routes to the new interface.

I also tried changing the association for .txt files from notepad to notepad++ and it doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

petersteele, Mar 21, 2019
  4. Changing Default Program for File Type

How to change default programs to open .jar files in Windowws 10?

Hello Snott,

As you are facing issues with setting-up default program to access .jar files, we will help you with this issue.

Try few of the below steps to change the default program for .jar files and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key, type default programs
      and select Default Programs.
    • Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    • Select .jar file type and click on Change program.
    • Choose the program you wish to open with and click
      OK

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 21, 2019
Thema:

Changing Default Program for File Type

1. Changing Default Program for File Type - Similar Threads - Changing Default Program

2. Change the default program for a specific file? not all files of type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change the default program for a specific file? not all files of type: I use both Acrobat and Bluebeam to view/edit PDFs. I know how to change the default app/program for PDFs in general currently Acrobat, but I'm wondering if I can set some *specific* PDFs to open with Bluebeam. I also know how to right-click and choose "open with..." I'm just...
  3. Change the default program for a specific file? not all files of type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change the default program for a specific file? not all files of type: I use both Acrobat and Bluebeam to view/edit PDFs. I know how to change the default app/program for PDFs in general currently Acrobat, but I'm wondering if I can set some *specific* PDFs to open with Bluebeam. I also know how to right-click and choose "open with..." I'm just...
  4. Change the default program for a specific file? not all files of type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. unable to change default program based on file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    unable to change default program based on file type: i tried to open a file and it popped up the thing to select a default program for that file type, but chose the wrong program. if i go into my settings to try to change the default it no longer lets me choose any program other than the one i already chose or something from...
  6. change default program when not listed by ms for that file type

change default program when not listed by ms for that file type: win10 want to change default photos app for .jpg to faststone, but not available to search in installed programs for it, just the ms store, hopefully there is some way to do this, not just for this but any default program of my own choice [img] 176865
  7. Change default app for file type

Change default app for file type: I want an .sb3 file to download to Google Chrome but it's downloading to Opera. When I try to change the default app for that file the only option is Opera. Any ideas what to do?...
  8. Associating a file type with a default program

Associating a file type with a default program: How can I change the association for a file type to an alternative application already installed? Using "control panel/default programs/assciate a file type or protocol with a program" dialogue always ends up showing the current default app plus the option of finding an...
  9. Setting default program by file type

Setting default program by file type: I am trying to set programs by file type. In Settings, when I "select a default" I am presented with some Microsoft apps or "Look for an app in the Microsoft store." What I want is a "Browse" option so I can choose my own program that I've installed. Why is that not available...
  10. Change default program for file types

Change default program for file types: I'm unable to change my default file type for .ini files, .md, etc. I'm trying to use Notepad++ or Visual Studio Code. I've attempted it multiple times by going to the file and choosing the default as well as through Default Apps. Anyone know a fix for this? I'm on the...