Windows 10: Changing Default Save Location

Discus and support Changing Default Save Location in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Just upgraded SSD and installed fresh version of Windows 10 version 1909. My SSD is the C: drive. Prior to the SSD upgrade, files such as Documents,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LeonGagnon, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Changing Default Save Location

Just upgraded SSD and installed fresh version of Windows 10 version 1909. My SSD is the C: drive. Prior to the SSD upgrade, files such as Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures were saved to my D: Hard Drive. Example: D: >Gagnon >Documents

In other words my D: drive was made the default location for Documents.

My question is this: How can I make the connection between my new SSD drive C: and my D: drive so that my Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures are saved on D.

Thank you for your time and response.

Leon Gagnon

:)

LeonGagnon, Jan 9, 2020

2. Default location to save documenets

Hi Frank,

Sorry for the delayed response.

From your recent description, it seems like the issue is confined to Word documents. If true, then follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Launch Word application.
    • Go to File Menu and select Options.
    • In the pop-up dialog box, towards the left pane, select Save.
    • Under Default location file, browse the location you want to save.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Jan 9, 2020
  3. Geethu B Win User
    Making HDD as default saving location instead of sdd for files

Hi Kiefer,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

I suggest you to try the following steps to change default saving locations. Check if it helps.

• Click on Start and click on
      Settings.

• Open System and click on
      Storage in the left-pane.

• Under the section Save Locations in the
      right-pane, select the appropriate location to which you want to save files.

• Restart the computer and check if it helps.
    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Jan 9, 2020
  4. Jerry8A Win User

Changing Default Save Location

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Jan 9, 2020
Thema:

Changing Default Save Location

1. Changing Default Save Location - Similar Threads - Changing Default Save

2. Default save location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default save location: Question in the image. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-save-location/78159927-885e-4c2d-96b4-2630a5117bb2
  3. Default Save As Location

Default Save As Location: Greetings-Would like to know how to change the default Save As location for Windows 10 File Browser. Currently it is set to the Downloads folder but I like to expedite everything from my desktop to an external drive so I readily know where files are located.I had previosly...
  4. Changing the default save location

Changing the default save location: I wanna change mt default save location on my pc since im gonna download games from the microsoft store from the xbox game pass. So i need to change my default save location on my pc for my apps. But when i try to change to my other hard drive it tells me that i have apps on...
  5. Can not change default save location

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can not change default save location: I am trying to change my default save location so i can save games to my other drive. My pc is not allowing me to do so. Says there are apps on the drive from another device and must be deleted first. Then gives me an error code 0x80070005. Any ideas what to do here?...
  6. Change default save location to Desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change default save location to Desktop: For a Windows 10 laptop, is there a way to change the default save location from Onedrive to the PC Desktop? I don’t like to save Word files on the cloud, especially as some documents are sensitive. Every time I click ‘save’ on a new document, I always have to click a few...
  7. Default SAVE location

Default SAVE location: I am sick and tired of OneDrive. I go look for a document and can't find it on my PC because Excel or Word saved it to OneDrive How do I stop ANY programs WORD, EXCEL, OUTLOOK, PDF editors, any from saving to OneDrive? I want the documents on my PC, not a OneDrive folder....
  8. Changing default save location for apps

Changing default save location for apps: Problem: Changing default drive for new content. Attempting to change from C to D drives primary to secondary drives First message: Delete other apps? This drive has apps from another device, to use this drive delete them. Click yes, Error code 0x80070005 comes up. I have...
  9. Default save locations

Default save locations: I am able to see where I can change my default save locations, however, it only shows my (C:) drive and not my other drives on the network. Is it possible to add new locations, and if so, how?...
  10. Default save location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default save location: I have a small SSD holding my OS, and a large HDD for everything else. I am trying to change the default install path to my storage drive, but when I go to settings, system, storage, I am unable to change the default install path to my storage drive (F:). Everything else...