Windows 10: Changing Desktop Font and Taskbar Size

Discus and support Changing Desktop Font and Taskbar Size in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just installed Build 9879 over Windows 7 on a spare machine and it went as expected except for the size of the Icon fonts and size of the taskbar.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JJG10, Nov 23, 2014.

1. JJG10 Win User

Changing Desktop Font and Taskbar Size

I just installed Build 9879 over Windows 7 on a spare machine and it went as expected except for the size of the Icon fonts and size of the taskbar. They both are much larger than they were on Win 7. I can't remember how to make them smaller. I make the icons themselves smaller (medium) by using View on the desktop but the fonts and taskbar are way to big.

Will some kind soul remind me how to reduce them under Win 10?

Thank you.

:)

JJG10, Nov 23, 2014
  2. Blogo Win User

Tiny font size following Windows 10 Creators Update

Hi,

This does not work. When I click on Appearance and Personalization, there is no "Display" option, and I cannot find any option "Change only the text size".

When I click on Appearance and Personalization in the Control Panel there are only the following options:

- Taskbar and Navigation

- Ease of Access Center

- File Explorer Options

- Fonts

Under "System Settings" there is an option "Display", but this does not allow me to only change the font size. Under "Scale and Layout" there are only two options: 100% or 125%. Unfortunately 100% is far too small, while 125% is far too big. I can set a
    "Custom Scale Factor", which I have set to 115%, but this does not just change the font size it also increases the size of desktop icons, the taskbar, etc. In fact everything is now 115% bigger. There is no way to just increase the size of the fonts slightly,
    which is what I wanted.

I am using Windows 10 Home edition, 64-bit on a laptop.

Blogo, Nov 23, 2014
  3. Blogo Win User
    Tiny font size following Windows 10 Creators Update

I have just updated with Windows 10 Creators Update (Windows 10, version 1703). However, the display has now changed and the font size for all menus, folders, taskbars, etc. is very small. I have tried increasing the size in the Display Settings, but it
    seems to be unstable, with desktop thumbnails disappearing and desktop icons moving around erratically.

Blogo, Nov 23, 2014
  4. usasma Win User

Control Panel...Appearance...Fonts
    Left sidebar => Change font sizes

Lot's of good settings there - don't know exactly which one's apply to your situation.

usasma, Nov 24, 2014
  5. JJG10 Win User
    Thanks John. I must have been short changed. I can't find Control Panel/Appearance. There are only two 'A's on the Control Panel, Administrative Tools and Autoplay. Perhaps it is buried deeper?

JJG10, Nov 24, 2014
  6. machare Win User
    Have you tried right clicking the task bar and selecting properties? This lets you slect 'Use small taskbar buttons'.

machare, Nov 24, 2014
  7. JJG10 Win User
    Yes, I found that just after I posted my question.

In addition, dumb me, I found the Appearance thing in the Category screen of Control Panel. Ever since I started with Win 7 I have used the Small Icons screen and never thought of the Category one.

To quote Sir Arthur Sullivan, "Cloudy skies are now serene."

Thanks for you help

JJG10, Nov 24, 2014
  8. usasma Win User

I'm glad that you found the Category view.
    That's a problem with Control Panel different, unmatching interfaces

usasma, Nov 25, 2014
  9. garryt Win User
    Yes just right click everything. You never know what you might find!

garryt, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Changing Desktop Font and Taskbar Size - Similar Threads - Changing Desktop Font

2. change icon size and fonts on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    change icon size and fonts on desktop: change icon size and fonts on desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-icon-size-and-fonts-on-desktop/b284d108-f2ea-4846-ae65-18ea60ea1143
  3. How to change the taskbar font size?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change the taskbar font size?: How to change the taskbar font size(for the names of the windows that are open and appear on the Taskbar)? I have googled it, and yet nothing. I have Win10 1809 version. submitted by /u/Neborodat [link] [comments]...
  4. Taskbar font size

Taskbar font size: I have done repeated searches for the answer to this question and none of the suggestions has worked for me so far. The font size in the taskbar for Windows 10 is too small to suit me. How do I manage to increase the size of the letters so I can read them more clearly? Font...
  5. Changing size of icon font on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing size of icon font on desktop: Hope y'all can help me out. There's a free win.10 utility that you use to change things on win.10. Among the things you can change is icon font size, spacing, etc. You can change all kind of things. Thing is, I once had it and reformatted and lost it. Does anyone know the...
  6. Changing font and font size on desktop

Changing font and font size on desktop: How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-font-and-font-size-on-desktop/76529b09-798a-4dc6-bfba-eca382f2a8d4
  7. desktop font size

desktop font size: How can I increase the desktop font size? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-font-size/8b9d2e07-fe6c-42e0-ba44-6cdf98e7f655
  8. Increase & or change the font size of desktop icons

Increase & or change the font size of desktop icons: The FONT size of my surface 3 desktop icons needs to be LARGER. NOTE: do not tell me how to get larger icons tell me how to get the NAME under the icons LARGER? Windows 11 was re-installed in late December 2017 so I do not need to go get any updates. 101805
  9. Changing Desktop font size

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Desktop font size: Is there another control to change the Desktop Font Size other than display settings also the font used UPDATE: Never mind - found it 52187
  10. Changing Font Size of Desktop Icon Label

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Font Size of Desktop Icon Label: Good day. I wish to know if there is a way to change the font size/style (bold, etc.) of the icon labels ONLY on the desktop screen. I've tried the Control Panel method (Appearance & Personalization -> Display) that allows me to change the fonts for 'ICONS'. However,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. desktop top bar font

2. how to change the desktop and taskbar fonts