Windows 10: Changing display adapter for monitor

Discus and support Changing display adapter for monitor in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My question In the device manager, as well as in the Advanced Screen Settings, Windows tell me that my external monitor is connected to/run by the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AndreasØstergård, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Changing display adapter for monitor

My question

In the device manager, as well as in the Advanced Screen Settings, Windows tell me that my external monitor is connected to/run by the least powerful of the two graphics cards in my laptop namely the Intel UHD Graphics 620, my integrated GPU, but I wan't to switch it over to the other: a Nvidia Geforce MX150.

I've found a lot of guides online for declaring that certain programs should be 'rendered' by the Nvidia GPU using the Nvidia Control Panel, but I can't seem to find outhow to change which graphics card runs the monitor itself. To my understanding, if I change which GPU runs a specific program, that GPU will be in charge of calculating what should be on-screen in the window, but it will still have to pass that information through the GPU that actually renders the screen.

Below are some screenshots:

Device Manager --> Displays --> Right click AOC U2790B my external monitor --> Properties. Where it says "Placering" Danish for Location, I want it to say Nvidia Geforce MX150

Changing display adapter for monitor 35e100d0-ec0f-4fa9-9538-77764ca73693?upload=true.png

dxdiag for the external monitor:

Changing display adapter for monitor 62485cc7-97ab-4223-91eb-84c1c8eeeca7?upload=true.png

Display Settings possibly screen settings --> Advanced Display Settings --> Properties for display Adapter

Changing display adapter for monitor 1ac89845-4420-4646-8743-ce6423899ce1?upload=true.png

Background/what I really want to accomplish

I recently bought a new AOC U2790PQU-monitor, which is a 4k, 60Hz, 10-bit display according to the spec sheet.

Windows, however, is telling me that it is only 8 bit, and I can't raise the framerate to 60Hz without lowering the resolution.

After doing some research, I think it might be because Intel UHD Graphics 620 the integrated graphics card on my laptop is creating a bottleneck/isn't fast enough to run the display to the max.

What I really want to accomplish, though, is just to get 4k 60Hz 10-bit, so if you have another idea for what might be the problem, I'd love to test it out.

:)

AndreasØstergård, Jan 1, 2020
  2. Roohi_Taj Win User

Issue with connecting Dual monitor with Wireless Display Adapter

Hi Penny Wells,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I can understand the situation must be difficult for you when things do not work as they should. However, we would need some more information regarding the issue.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?
    2. What is the model of the TV?

This issue can occur if there is pending firmware update or the issue with the drivers. I would suggest you to follow the below steps and let us know about the results:

Method 1: Fix connections to wireless displays or docks.

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in the Microsoft article on
    Fix connections to wireless displays or docks.

Method 2: Troubleshooting Wireless Display Adapters.

If method 1 doesn’t fix the issue, I would suggest you to follow all the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the Microsoft article on
    Troubleshooting Wireless
    Display Adapters
    refer the steps ‘Having trouble connecting your device to the adapter?’

Note: The above article contains steps regarding Firmware update.
    Modifying BIOS settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS
    settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If you would like me to provide additional advice, simply respond to this thread. I will get notified and I’ll reply to you as soon as I can.

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Jan 1, 2020
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Display problems with the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter

Hi,

It is possible that you are experiencing an audio and video streaming issues due to a corrupted or an outdated display driver. To isolate your issue, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Could you tell us the exact error message you received?
    • Have you tried updating your display drivers?
    • Does this happen only when you're streaming a video?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot Wireless Display Adapters. You may expand each section that best describes your situation and check if the issue still persists.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jan 1, 2020
  4. Changing display adapter for monitor

Win10 doesn't know my (compatible) display adapter

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you follow the steps below:

Method 1: Run the hardware and devices

Please follow the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” on the Windows Search bar and hit enter.

• On the left side of the Troubleshooting window, click on “View all”

• Click on Hardware and Devices. Please provide a password if asked for it and click ok.

Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall display adapter.

Follow the steps to update the display adapter:

• Press Windows key + R key. Type "devmgmt.msc" and click Enter.

• Expand Display Adapter.

• Double-click on the Display Adapter.

• In Properties, go to Drivers Tab and click on Uninstall.

• Reinstall the Display adapter from the Manufacturer's Website and see if it helps.
    Restart the computer and check.
    Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related issues.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Jan 1, 2020
Thema:

Changing display adapter for monitor

1. Changing display adapter for monitor - Similar Threads - Changing display adapter

2. Monitor not giving display after disabling display adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor not giving display after disabling display adapter: Hello Getting a problem in my PC which has fed me up ... I was using i3-1200f with AMD firepro m4900 for temporary use , will upgrade to 3060 in a week or two , So as F series cpu does not come with iGpuI accidentally Disabled Display adapter from device manager which Iam...
  3. Monitor not giving display after disabling display adapter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor not giving display after disabling display adapter: Hello Getting a problem in my PC which has fed me up ... I was using i3-1200f with AMD firepro m4900 for temporary use , will upgrade to 3060 in a week or two , So as F series cpu does not come with iGpuI accidentally Disabled Display adapter from device manager which Iam...
  4. Monitor not giving display after disabling display adapter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. changing display adapter

changing display adapter: so when I try to change my AMD display adapter to Microsoft basic display adapter it shows this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-display-adapter/7556be17-76a6-4508-9bb6-2bcae5a60684
  6. Display resolution on monitor changing

Display resolution on monitor changing: When I use "Extend" when after pressing Win + P, my monitor resolution is fine. But then when I close the laptop lid or make it "Second screen only" the resolution becomes worse. Not really sure how it started or when but I am sure it wasn't always like this. I will attach a...
  7. Docking computer changes monitor display

in Windows 10 Customization
    Docking computer changes monitor display: Currently having the following issue on multiple Windows 10 devices in my organization for the past few months. I mainly see this on Surface Pro/Book models, but have also seen this on some Dell laptops. Please note that all devices are running on Windows 10 version 1909, and...
  8. Accidentally changed Display Adapter settings

Accidentally changed Display Adapter settings: I have Lenovo IdeaPad that originally came with Windows 7. I recently installedwindows 10. Since I was facing an issue with the graphics card driver I accidentally changed the Display Adapter fromMicrosoft Basic Display Adapter to Nvidia Legacy Device. I thought that this...
  9. Issue with connecting Dual monitor with Wireless Display Adapter

Issue with connecting Dual monitor with Wireless Display Adapter: Adapter installed in my Windows 10 Pro laptop. TV screen display "Ready for Connection". Both Adapter and TV listed in My Devices ("Unconnected") Action Center does not list either device to allow Connection. (Firewall allows both Private and Public use) ***Modify...
  10. Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter and Ultra-wide monitor

Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter and Ultra-wide monitor: Is there any body, who can properly project from a PC/ laptop to an 3440x1440 external Ultra-wide monitor using Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter? PS: "properly" means the Ultra-wide monitor runs on 3440x1440 resolution mode....