Windows 10: Changing DNS for one user only

Discus and support Changing DNS for one user only in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I want to change my DNS to NextDNS, but i don't want it to affect other user accounts. Is this possible, maybe with task scheluder or an DNS client... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/PvKCpEFAnQY3zxW9NH8q, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Changing DNS for one user only

I want to change my DNS to NextDNS, but i don't want it to affect other user accounts. Is this possible, maybe with task scheluder or an DNS client that has option to do this?

submitted by /u/PvKCpEFAnQY3zxW9NH8q
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/PvKCpEFAnQY3zxW9NH8q, Nov 1, 2020

2. DNS problems with router

A couple suggestions I have for you:

Update the firmware on the router. Maybe it's getting into a badstate, and a firmware update might fix it. Or if you're comfortable with it, install a custom firmware like dd-wrt. Just make sure its supported on your router first.

Change your DNS to: 8.8.8.8, 4.2.2.1. Might help.

If none of these work, maybe statically set your DNS on your PS3/PC to the IPs you listed, taking the router out of the lookup procedure.

Last option, is look for a new router.

Hybrid_theory, Nov 1, 2020
  3. dns probe finished no internet

Hi Oxide,

After some trial-and-error testing of all suggested fixes, which I found over the internet, here’re what worked for me to solve "DNS Probe Finished No Internet" issue and might work for you as well.

Method 1: Change Default DNS Address to Open DNS

Here all you have to do is change your default automatically obtained DNS server addresses to open DNS or Google DNS. To do this, follow below mentioned steps:

Step 1:
    Right click on Network icon located in Windows Task Bar Menu.

Step 2:
    Click on ‘Open Network and Sharing Center.’

Changing DNS for one user only [​IMG]

Step 3:
    Click on Local Area Connection with whom who are presently connected and click onProperties.

Step 4:
    Select ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)’ and click on Properties.

Step 5:
    Now in newly opened windows, select the radio button that reads ‘Use the following DNS server address:’

Step 6:
    Now in the ‘Preferred DNS Server’ box type in 208.67.222.222 and in ‘Alternate DNS Server’ type in 208.67.220.220.

Step 7:
    Now check the box that says ‘Validate settings upon exit’ and then click on OK. That’s it.

Changing DNS for one user only [​IMG]

TechieNikhil, Nov 1, 2020
  4. LeonLaude Win User

Changing DNS for one user only

DNS SERVER NOT RESONDING

Hi Rita French,

This issue often occurs when the DNS settings are incorrect. I suggest you to perform the following methods to troubleshoot the issue.

Method 1:

I would recommend you to change the Preferred DNS server and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + R keys to open Run window, type
      ncpa.cpl and press Enter.
    • Right-click on the connection that you use for the local connection, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click to select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click
      Properties.
    • In the Internet Protocol window, let's change the Preferred DNS server to
    • Click OK twice to complete the modification.

Note: If the issue persists, please repeat the steps and change the "Preferred DNS server" to 208.67.220.220.

Method 2:

If that does not help, try to flush the DNS. Follow these steps below.

• From Start screen, type Command Prompt.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator.
    • Type: ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.

Note: The ipconfig /flushdns command provides you with a means to flush and reset the contents of the DNS client resolver cache. During DNS troubleshooting, if necessary, you can use this procedure to discard negative cache entries from the cache, as well
    as, any other dynamically added entries.

Hope any of these methods help!

Kind regards,

Leon

LeonLaude, Nov 1, 2020
Thema:

Changing DNS for one user only

1. Changing DNS for one user only - Similar Threads - Changing DNS user

2. DNS not found only on one computer on one network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS not found only on one computer on one network: My Thinkpad running windows 11 system details at bottom has a weird interaction with my netgear router. The router has two channels, one 2Ghz and one 5Ghz. All other devices, including another windows 11 device, have no problems connecting to either channel. Only my Thinkpad...
  3. DNS not found only on one computer on one network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS not found only on one computer on one network: My Thinkpad running windows 11 system details at bottom has a weird interaction with my netgear router. The router has two channels, one 2Ghz and one 5Ghz. All other devices, including another windows 11 device, have no problems connecting to either channel. Only my Thinkpad...
  4. DNS server issues w/ only one Wifi network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS server issues w/ only one Wifi network: I've had issues accessing the internet for a while now, I've tried many steps of troubleshooting but none have worked and I'm not sure how to proceed. My PC can connect to my home's Wifi network, but the network shows "No internet access". This Wifi network has several other...
  5. DNS server issues w/ only one Wifi network

DNS server issues w/ only one Wifi network: I've had issues accessing the internet for a while now, I've tried many steps of troubleshooting but none have worked and I'm not sure how to proceed. My PC can connect to my home's Wifi network, but the network shows "No internet access". This Wifi network has several other...
  6. DNS server issues w/ only one Wifi network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. How to change DNS only for one user

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change DNS only for one user: I want to change my dns server only for my user account. I don't think it's possible to do natively, so is there some 3rd party software that can do this? submitted by /u/PvKCpEFAnQY3zxW9NH8q [link] [comments]...
  8. Why Can't I Change the Backgrounds for Only One User?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why Can't I Change the Backgrounds for Only One User?: For some reason, when I decide to change the windows backgrounds in personalize it changes the backgrounds in my father's account on my home computer as well. I tried googling why this may happen because I thought it to be a glitch, but I am getting 10 step processes using...
  9. Installing Programs to One User Only

Installing Programs to One User Only: On older Windows OS's, I've had no trouble using separate user accounts. When I install a program (actual software, not a Windows Store app) on one, it doesn't show up on another user account. Until now. My wife and I just bought a desktop to share and everything I install...
  10. DNS Cache Users

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS Cache Users: Do Google Chrome, MS Edge, & IE all use the same DNS Cache? And is there any wisdom to periodically flushing the cache just as a normal maintenance routine? 80766