Windows 10: Changing DNS settings breaks internet connectivity

Discus and support Changing DNS settings breaks internet connectivity in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello! I am running Windows 10 version 20H2, build 19042.685. When I try to configure manual DNS under my adapter properties, DNS no longer resolves... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SPS Sean S, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Changing DNS settings breaks internet connectivity

Hello!

I am running Windows 10 version 20H2, build 19042.685.

When I try to configure manual DNS under my adapter properties, DNS no longer resolves and my internet does not function properly. Moreover, when I use a VPN service, the internet does not function, presumably due to the same issue.

Some notes:

• This is not related to my network. This machine has been taken to several different networks, and the issue has persisted on all of them. Moreover, I have configured severalother devices on the SAME network as the Windows 10 machine, all of which can use custom DNS or VPNs with ease.
    • This issue does not persist if I set my DNS to configure automatically.
    • The DNS server I am trying to use is not blocked on my network. Again, I have tried this on several networks so this should not be a concern, but I specifically tested it on other devices and made certain that any and all DNS servers I was attempting to use were in fact not blocked on the network.

Troubleshooting steps already attempted:

• Disabling antivirus Bitdefender
    • Uninstalling antivirus
    • Restarting several times
    • Trying to set custom DNS on WiFi as well as Ethernet adapters internet works on neither when custom DNS is configured
    • Resetting TCP/IP using netshell "netsh int ip reset"
    • Flushing DNS cache using "ipconfig /flushdns"
    • Disabling IPv6
    • Booting into Safe Mode with Networking and attempting to make DNS changes there
    • Running Network Troubleshooter it could not identify the problem

Any further information on reasons this might be happening as well as possible solutions would be greatly appreciated!!

See screenshot for a visual representation of how I am changing my DNS resolvers. On the second page "Internet Protocol Version 4 Properties", I choose "Use the following DNS server addresses" and enter in my DNS resolver.

Changing DNS settings breaks internet connectivity e4f7d2f6-1415-43bb-a37d-9bf71bb3598e?upload=true.png

:)

SPS Sean S, Apr 16, 2021

2. dns probe finished no internet

Hi Oxide,

After some trial-and-error testing of all suggested fixes, which I found over the internet, here’re what worked for me to solve "DNS Probe Finished No Internet" issue and might work for you as well.

Method 1: Change Default DNS Address to Open DNS

Here all you have to do is change your default automatically obtained DNS server addresses to open DNS or Google DNS. To do this, follow below mentioned steps:

Step 1:
    Right click on Network icon located in Windows Task Bar Menu.

Step 2:
    Click on ‘Open Network and Sharing Center.’

Changing DNS settings breaks internet connectivity [​IMG]

Step 3:
    Click on Local Area Connection with whom who are presently connected and click onProperties.

Step 4:
    Select ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)’ and click on Properties.

Step 5:
    Now in newly opened windows, select the radio button that reads ‘Use the following DNS server address:’

Step 6:
    Now in the ‘Preferred DNS Server’ box type in 208.67.222.222 and in ‘Alternate DNS Server’ type in 208.67.220.220.

Step 7:
    Now check the box that says ‘Validate settings upon exit’ and then click on OK. That’s it.

Changing DNS settings breaks internet connectivity [​IMG]

TechieNikhil, Apr 16, 2021
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    Set Broadband Internet Connection Network Configuration

Hi,

Upon analyzing the details you have provided, kindly run the
    Network and Internet Troubleshooter
    and check if there's any changes. To run the
    troubleshooter,
    follow these steps:

• On the search bar, type
      Troubleshooting.

• Choose
      Network and Internet.

• Run the following
      Troubleshooter:

• Internet Connections.

• Network Adapter.

• Incoming Connections.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you try to
    renew
    your
    IP address. To do this, follow these steps:

• Open
      Command Prompt
      as
      Administrator.

• Type the following command:

• Ipconfig/release
        and hit
        Enter.

• Ipconfig/renew
        and hit
        Enter.

• Exit.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Apr 16, 2021
  4. LeonLaude Win User

Changing DNS settings breaks internet connectivity

DNS SERVER NOT RESONDING

Hi Rita French,

This issue often occurs when the DNS settings are incorrect. I suggest you to perform the following methods to troubleshoot the issue.

Method 1:

I would recommend you to change the Preferred DNS server and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + R keys to open Run window, type
      ncpa.cpl and press Enter.
    • Right-click on the connection that you use for the local connection, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click to select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click
      Properties.
    • In the Internet Protocol window, let's change the Preferred DNS server to
    • Click OK twice to complete the modification.

Note: If the issue persists, please repeat the steps and change the "Preferred DNS server" to 208.67.220.220.

Method 2:

If that does not help, try to flush the DNS. Follow these steps below.

• From Start screen, type Command Prompt.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator.
    • Type: ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.

Note: The ipconfig /flushdns command provides you with a means to flush and reset the contents of the DNS client resolver cache. During DNS troubleshooting, if necessary, you can use this procedure to discard negative cache entries from the cache, as well
    as, any other dynamically added entries.

Hope any of these methods help!

Kind regards,

Leon

LeonLaude, Apr 16, 2021
Thema:

Changing DNS settings breaks internet connectivity

1. Changing DNS settings breaks internet connectivity - Similar Threads - Changing DNS settings

2. DNS Changes with connecting to HotSpot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS Changes with connecting to HotSpot: As the title says, on Wifi all its good, but when I connect to my Hotspot the DNS will change to a specific one. Then I have no internet.Since I dont have Admin rights on this PC I cannot change it manually to Automatic.Any ideas?...
  3. DNS Changes with connecting to HotSpot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS Changes with connecting to HotSpot: As the title says, on Wifi all its good, but when I connect to my Hotspot the DNS will change to a specific one. Then I have no internet.Since I dont have Admin rights on this PC I cannot change it manually to Automatic.Any ideas?...
  4. DNS Changes with connecting to HotSpot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. VPN or manual DNS resolver settings break internet; Windows 10

VPN or manual DNS resolver settings break internet; Windows 10: Hello! I am running Windows 10 version 20H2, build 19042.685. When I try to configure manual DNS under my adapter properties, DNS no longer resolves and my internet does not function properly. Moreover, when I use a VPN service, the internet does not function, presumably...
  6. Unable to use manual DNS settings; configuring manual DNS or using a VPN breaks internet

Unable to use manual DNS settings; configuring manual DNS or using a VPN breaks internet: Hello! I am running Windows 10 version 20H2, build 19042.685. When I try to configure manual DNS under my adapter properties, DNS no longer resolves and my internet does not function properly. Moreover, when I use a VPN service, the internet does not function, presumably...
  7. Wi-fi connected, no internet DNS issue!?

Wi-fi connected, no internet DNS issue!?: Hi. I'm facing this issue in my laptop where it connects to any wi-fi network but doesn't connect to internet. The same wi-fi network works perfectly fine on other devices. Some of the fixes I've tried but didn't work for last hour and a half: cmd: /flushdns...
  8. Networking: DNS Setting changes

Networking: DNS Setting changes: Hello, I have come across something frustrating. Each time I turn on my computer the DNS setting in the "Internet Protocol version 4" changes from (Obtain DNS Server address automatically) to a preferred DNS server, this causes my computer not to have internet so I have...
  9. Internet Connection Breaking

Internet Connection Breaking: So when i go on my laptop (Asus X541U) it will connect me to the internet 10% of the time, otherwise it gives me the ethernet connection with the red x (my ethernet port is broken and i havnt used ethernet on my laptop in the past 3 months) Whhen the internet works, if my...
  10. Cant change DNS settings

Cant change DNS settings: Trying to add a new DNS IP address. Go to the adapter, go to the IPV4 properties and advanced and add the new DNS IP address. Every thing is fine until I close the adaptor window and it pops up an error "an unexpected condition occurred, not all of your requested changes in...