Windows 10: Changing Documents location

Discus and support Changing Documents location in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Following Microsoft instructions, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/310746/configuration-of-the-my-documents-folder, last updated in April of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by silvanet_1, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Changing Documents location

Following Microsoft instructions, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/310746/configuration-of-the-my-documents-folder, last updated in April of 2017 and then looking at their instructions on how you can actually still do this in a new 2019 instruction piece, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/folder-redirection/deploy-folder-redirection, if you have a business enterprise with a server and your workstations are running Windows 10 (or 8.1, or 8, or even 7), and you're running an Active Directory Network Domain Server!

No kidding, there's no throttling down of prior available functionality here! Do we need reminding that you can still do it if you're running 8, 8.1, 7, and even Vista? It's just 10 that they have incredibly, totally DUMBED-DOWN.

They've made it vaguely and remotely possible, with another of their idiotic run around in circles procedure - right-clicking on the Documents folder, going to Properties, then the Location tab, then a convoluted "moving" files from old location to the new, and figuring out how to turn off their insistence on putting everything you place on your Desktop into OneDrive along with all documents you save, uninstalling OneDrive (believe me you will want to do that as soon as you see they're filling it with stuff you never want to put there). OK, so I'm following the instructions. I select the folder where I want to save my documents on a drive other than my system drive.

I used to be familiar with the registry entries that were pretty easy to change on prior systems. If you look at what they did on Windows 10 registry in this regard, it is clear they're trying to hide and obfuscate and make it impossible for you to make the changes now.

Predictably, when I try to apply the "move" step, I get a dialog saying: “Can’t move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can’t be redirected.” I can't what? What does that even mean? The folder in the same location as what? It can't mean another folder in the location I'm trying to move the documents FROM. It's the only folder in that location, although it is inside another folder (the OneDrive folder where Microsoft apparently wanted to put it in the first place), but there are no other folders inside it than the Documents one. Does Microsoft mean it won't let you redirect the OneDrive folder inside which it placed your Documents folder? I don't get it.

I spent hours trying to navigate the Microsoft rabbit hole of chickens scrambling with their heads cut off. Did it work? Well, NO.

Can I get a meaningful explanation? Is this actually meant to work?

:)

silvanet_1, Sep 16, 2019

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Sep 16, 2019
  3. Documents Location Changed But Property Location Is Correct - ???

I can't figure out why E:\Gary can't be seen in File Explorer.

Sooooo .... let's try to get the special User folders back to normal

These are ok per the location tab you posted
    Music C:\Users\Gary\Music
    Pictures C:\Users\Gary\Pictures

Changing Documents location [​IMG]

Documents: E:\Videos\Documents location points to E:\Gary\Documents
    Videos: E:\Videos location points to E:\Videos (Could you confirm that with the properties> location tab)

Try this in this order

On E:\Videos\Documents
    Select properties > location tab
    Press the [ Restore Default ] button
    Yes to move files if prompted

On E:\Videos
    Select properties > location tab
    Press the [ Restore Default ] button
    Yes to move files if prompted

That should put the two user folders back on C:\Users\Gary - please confirm the locations after restoring the default

If everything looks good, then all that is left is to figure out why E:\Gary isn't visible in File Explorer
    Then put the folders where you want them. I might suggest a different structure if this becomes a sticky mess

Something like E:\Usr\Gary\Userfolders - but see if the above resolves the issue.

It's very possible that E:\Gary is really E:\Videos and is masked by the slight of hand Windows does with the special folders.

Slartybart, Sep 16, 2019
  4. Gla4g Win User

Changing Documents location

Documents Location Changed But Property Location Is Correct - ???

Thanks. My music files no longer appear in the Music library but restoring the default libraries appears to have had no effect on the Documents library. Note: The folder E:\Gary is not visible in Windows Explorer

Gla4g, Sep 16, 2019
Thema:

Changing Documents location

1. Changing Documents location - Similar Threads - Changing Documents location

2. Can't change documents folder location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't change documents folder location: So I have an issue very similar to this one, but felt it was too old to bump. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-documents-folder-location-because/01f84977-0271-49cf-9fc1-0e68b5aeb6d5I uninstalled OneDrive, so I don't think that can be the cause...
  3. Can't change documents folder location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change documents folder location: So I have an issue very similar to this one, but felt it was too old to bump. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-documents-folder-location-because/01f84977-0271-49cf-9fc1-0e68b5aeb6d5I uninstalled OneDrive, so I don't think that can be the cause...
  4. Can't change documents folder location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Change default windows documents location from OneDrive\Documents to User\Documents

Change default windows documents location from OneDrive\Documents to User\Documents: I unfortunately set this up when I installed windows to save my Documents to OneDrive unknowingly that instead of syncing my actual documents it creates and changes the default documents folder to a OneDrive folder. How do I undo this?This...
  6. Unable to change Documents Location

Unable to change Documents Location: My Documents folder is currently mapped to a network attached storage drive that has been decommissioned. When I select Properties on the Documents folder and choose the Locations tab, I am unable to edit the path in the text field. In addition, the Restore Default, Move...
  7. can't change location of Documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    can't change location of Documents folder: chased down a bunch of posts for the error message but not found an answer yet I added a new registry entry that was a post suggestion to fix [img] I'm suspicious it has some thing to do with Documents being in OneDrive? The folder, mydocs, on my G drive is a copy of the...
  8. document location

document location: so i unlicked my PC from one drive, but the location is still in "C:\Users\potet\OneDrive" i can not relocate it, it always tells me “” . It means "the adress has a unmovable file, cant move to this folder" i also cant write my game configs in to the document folders...
  9. Documents Location Changed But Property Location Is Correct - ???

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents Location Changed But Property Location Is Correct - ???: Greetings! I tried to search for posts on my issue but all that comes up is advice on how to move your Documents folder. I already did that. I changed my location from my SSD C:\ drive to my data drive E:\. Everything seemed fine until today when I navigated to the E: drive...
  10. how do i change the location of 'documents'?

in Windows 10 Support
    how do i change the location of 'documents'?: Recently I've reset my laptop so i could use it for my education. However, since the reset the 'my documents' (and Pictures) user-folder at 'my PC' has been changed to the onedrive equivalent. I've tried turning off onedrive by changing my group policy, but it turned out...