Windows 10: Changing dual boot Windows computer to single

Discus and support Changing dual boot Windows computer to single in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; W7/W10 dual boot computer My computer was initially a W7 machine. Besides System Reserved, there have been three partitions on the machine's single... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RBowser, May 4, 2021.

1. RBowser Win User

Changing dual boot Windows computer to single

W7/W10 dual boot computer My computer was initially a W7 machine. Besides System Reserved, there have been three partitions on the machine's single drive: 1) A primary partition with W7, program files, etc. 2) "My Stuff" (my documents and project files) 3) "Video" for my video collection. Last year I added a small partition for W10. That became my primary starting point for getting online. The rest of the partitions have remained accessible through W7 and are primarily for working on projects. With W7 support now long gone and my computer becoming problematic when I'm on that side of the machine, I've decided I need to make the entire computer W10. This webpage explains how easy it is to remove one OS from a dual boot machine using MSConfig: How-To Remove an OS from Windows Dual Boot Config But in that example, W7 was the second OS on the computer, not the original. That leaves me unclear about a few things. I hope some members here can help me out with some info: -Will that page's instructions work OK for me? W7 was my machine's original OS, and W10 was the second one, the opposite of the page's example. -If I can delete W7 that easily, my documents and projects (primarily music and video projects) will remain unaffected? -What will happen with the programs installed on the W7 C drive? I assume I'll need to reinstall them under W10. Here's my current plan. Could you please point out any problems with it?- --Before trying to change the computer to a single boot machine, I'll continue to archive files on external drives to free up space. --I'll keep shrinking partitions and adding the freed-up space to the W10 partition. --As I add to the W10 partition, I'll try installing each program I currently use, knowing I'll lose some which are too old to be compatible with W10. Project and video files I hope I can simply move into the new W10 partition. --Other than saving as many programs as possible, I plan on re-partitioning the computer after it's a single boot W10 machine. I will still have the C drive, the "My Stuff" projects partition, and the video collection partition. In case it's helpful, I'm attaching a screenshot of what Disk Management currently shows. I know there are some sharp experts here. I hope some guidance can be posted for me since, of course, I want and need my computer to operate as expected after all this shuffling around of data. Thanks for making it this far in this long post - if you did! Randy B.

:)

RBowser, May 4, 2021

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, May 5, 2021
  3. RBowser Win User

W7/W10 dual boot computer

My computer was initially a W7 machine. Besides System Reserved, there have been three partitions on the machine's single drive:

1) A primary partition with W7, program files, etc.
    2) "My Stuff" (my documents and project files)
    3) "Video" for my video collection.

Last year I added a small partition for W10. That became my primary starting point for getting online. The rest of the partitions have remained accessible through W7 and are primarily for working on projects.

With W7 support now long gone and my computer becoming problematic when I'm on that side of the machine, I've decided I need to make the entire computer W10.

This webpage explains how easy it is to remove one OS from a dual boot machine using MSConfig:

How-To Remove an OS from Windows Dual Boot Config

But in that example, W7 was the second OS on the computer, not the original.

That leaves me unclear about a few things. I hope some members here can help me out with some info:

-Will that page's instructions work OK for me? W7 was my machine's original OS, and W10 was the second one, the opposite of the page's example.

-If I can delete W7 that easily, my documents and projects (primarily music and video projects) will remain unaffected?

-What will happen with the programs installed on the W7 C drive? I assume I'll need to reinstall them under W10.

Here's my current plan. Could you please point out any problems with it?-

--Before trying to change the computer to a single boot machine, I'll continue to archive files on external drives to free up space.

--I'll keep shrinking partitions and adding the freed-up space to the W10 partition.

--As I add to the W10 partition, I'll try installing each program I currently use, knowing I'll lose some which are too old to be compatible with W10. Project and video files I hope I can simply move into the new W10 partition.

--Other than saving as many programs as possible, I plan on re-partitioning the computer after it's a single boot W10 machine. I will still have the C drive, the "My Stuff" projects partition, and the video collection partition.

In case it's helpful, I'm attaching a screenshot of what Disk Management currently shows.

I know there are some sharp experts here. I hope some guidance can be posted for me since, of course, I want and need my computer to operate as expected after all this shuffling around of data.

Thanks for making it this far in this long post - if you did!

Randy B.

RBowser, May 5, 2021
  4. topgundcp Win User

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Changing dual boot Windows computer to single - Similar Threads - Changing dual boot

2. Single machine, single Win 10 license, but dual boot: does the license allow this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Single machine, single Win 10 license, but dual boot: does the license allow this?: I have a single computer and single full non-OEM Windows 10 license. However I would like to boot this single machine in two different configurations: one for home use, with normal productivity software; the other with only music production software so it runs fast and...
  3. Single machine, single Win 10 license, but dual boot: does the license allow this?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Single machine, single Win 10 license, but dual boot: does the license allow this?: I have a single computer and single full non-OEM Windows 10 license. However I would like to boot this single machine in two different configurations: one for home use, with normal productivity software; the other with only music production software so it runs fast and...
  4. Dual Boot Windows 10 on single SSD with pooled partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Boot Windows 10 on single SSD with pooled partition: Hiya folks!I have a Panasonic windows tablet that I’d like to set up like this:2 Windows 10 installs on separate partitions on a single SSD, with access to a 3rd partition for file storage. I’d like each Windows to be able to use the files/data on the 3rd partition as if it’s...
  5. Dual Boot Windows 10 on single SSD with pooled partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Boot Windows 10 on single SSD with pooled partition: Hiya folks!I have a Panasonic windows tablet that I’d like to set up like this:2 Windows 10 installs on separate partitions on a single SSD, with access to a 3rd partition for file storage. I’d like each Windows to be able to use the files/data on the 3rd partition as if it’s...
  6. Dual Boot Windows 10 on single SSD with pooled partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. How to change from Dual monitor to Single in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change from Dual monitor to Single in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you are using a dual monitor setup and you want to disable one monitor, here are two ways to do it. The first method […] This article How to change from Dual monitor to Single in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Convert dual boot disk into single OS

Convert dual boot disk into single OS: Greetings all. May I ask for a bit of sanity check please. I have a PC running two Windows 10 OS's on two separate partitions. Windows asks me which one I want to run when booting up. I now want to remove one OS and recover its space. If I understand correctly I need to:...
  9. Convert dual boot to single boot

Convert dual boot to single boot: I currently have a dual boot (separate drives) of Win 10 Pro and the Win 10 Insider. I'm considering dropping the Insider and only having my production Win 10 Pro. I had the Insider versions to test my recording studio software and hardware but that is no longer necessary...
  10. How do I change a dual boot into a single boot PC

How do I change a dual boot into a single boot PC: Perhaps my explanation wasn't clear. I want to install all the programs I want on Partition F (while booted into it). This is my clean install. When they all work as I want them to, I intend to delete the current partition C: (the old installation) and just use the clean...