Windows 10: Changing Edge as my default browser!

Discus and support Changing Edge as my default browser! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am really annoyed: I got a message telling me that Edge would be a faster and more secure search engine; so I opted for it. However I had no idea... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JoeBloggs7, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Changing Edge as my default browser!

I am really annoyed: I got a message telling me that Edge would be a faster and more secure search engine; so I opted for it. However I had no idea that it would then stop me using Google Chrome! otherwise I would not have changed from the original.

I am very angry to find that I cannot - on my laptop - change the default search engine. I follow the instructions given by Microsoft but when I click to change it does not give me the facility to 'change server' or whatever it says!

I find this type of practice extremely underhand - rather like installing Windows 10 - only to find that I don't like it and would like to take it off my laptop but it's here to stay unfortunately.

And then you cannot even speak to a real live human being at Microsoft - you just get reams and reams of instructions !!!!!

:)

JoeBloggs7, Oct 24, 2018
  2. Erika Aro Win User

Default Browser Keeps Changing to Edge

There are three other ways to set your default program. In Default apps, navigate the page to find the following:

• Choose default apps by file type
    • Choose default apps by protocol
    • Set defaults by app

To manually change your default browser, follow these steps:

• Set your preferred default browser to skip Choose default apps by file type. Click
      Choose default apps by protocol then look for HTTP and HTTPS. Change them to your preferred browser.
    • After that, click Set defaults by app and wait for the new windows to load. Search your preferred browser and click it. Select
      Set this program as default and press OK.
    • Close all your browsers and check if it still asks you to set your browser.

Let us know how it goes after doing the troubleshooting steps.

Erika Aro, Oct 24, 2018
  3. Ann McNew Win User
    Default Browser Keeps Changing to Edge

Yes, just to confirm again, when I open FireFox before opening any other link/program/app - I get the pop-up to make FireFox my default browser and I check the box and confirm. If I also complete all of Erika's suggestions:

• Choose default apps by file type
    • Choose default apps by protocol
    • Set defaults by app
    Then for THAT session, everything works ok. But when I shutdown and restart, it all reverts to Edge - the default browser and all my selections for default app by file type, default app by protocol and defaults by app..

If I ONLY open FireFox before opening any other link/program/app and make it my default browser, but then click on a link within an Outlook mail - the link will open in Edge.

What confuses me about Erika's sentence: "Set your preferred default browser to skip
    Choose default apps by file type." is the part about 'set your preferred default browser to skip' is this a setting within FireFox after making it my default browser? Because I am changing default apps by file type on the Windows Settings
    page and choosing http and https to be connected to FireFox instead of Edge.

Regardless, any changes that I make are changed back to Edge after a shutdown or restart and I am completely frustrated by having to reset everything each time I start my computer.

Ann McNew, Oct 24, 2018
  4. Changing Edge as my default browser!

Changing default browser to IE and wifi issues

Hi Ed,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• In desktop search, type default app settings and select the result.

• Under Web browser, click the current browser (EDGE).

• Choose Internet Explorer and set it as
      default.

Hope it helps.

SujataMoktan, Oct 24, 2018
Thema:

Changing Edge as my default browser!

1. Changing Edge as my default browser! - Similar Threads - Changing Edge default

2. Don't want Edge as my default browser

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Don't want Edge as my default browser: Why does Microsoft keep asking me to make "Edge" the default browser & if I want to try the latest version? Despite using another browser as my default & turning off the setting for it to continue asking me if I'd like to try it, I'm still asked every time I open Microsoft....
  3. Stop changing my default browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stop changing my default browser: Every time I launch Firefox my default browser has been CHANGED to the MS whatever it is. Stop this. Is there a simple direct means of doing this. I have already set firefox as my default browser by the normal method, so please do not state that. I really don't have time...
  4. Microsoft Edge replaced my default Browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Edge replaced my default Browser: The last update PUSHED Edge onto a number of our employee's taskbars. And, that is not the worst part. In some cases, even though other browsers were being used by an individual, when I tried to revert the workstation's default browser under default apps, the original...
  5. Changing The Default Browser . .

Changing The Default Browser . .: Firefox . . . Is, my default browser. When, I click on my email. It opens, with Firefox. I have, other browsers. But I just, installed, 360 Extreme Browser. I'm trying, to make it, the default browser. So, I clicked on my email, link. It, opened using, the Firefox...
  6. Change the default browser

Change the default browser: When I go to settings and click on Apps and choose Default apps I am unable to pick any other browser except Edge or Internet Explorer. There is an option to choose an app from the Microsoft Store but that doesn't help. I am running Windows 10 HOme version 1909 OS build...
  7. Updates change my default Browser.

Updates change my default Browser.: Hi, It seems that everytime I turn my computer on or there has been an update, I have to reset Google Chrome as my Browser because windows has changed it back to Edge. I am wondering if there is a permanent fix for this as this is becoming such an inconvenience that I am...
  8. Changing default browser

Changing default browser: I have Lenovo and want to change default browser. Please help me change the default browser. Thank you Brian M. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-default-browser/21f4bddc-91ea-43d5-93e4-cc52d6c8d8cc
  9. change default browser

change default browser: I cannot change my browser and home page and start up to google chrome https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-browser/5623d04e-53f8-4346-8946-0057ef02fcbe"
  10. Change default browser

Change default browser: MSW10 won't let me change the default Browser to Chrome. I've attached 3 screenshots showing that: 1. Chrome isn't an option when I try to "choose an app" in the default apps section of settings. 2. Nor is Chrome available in the MS App Store. 3. Chrome isn't even listed...