Windows 10: Changing Explorer Ribbon icons

Discus and support Changing Explorer Ribbon icons in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I'm struggling to change some of the Eplorer's Ribbon icons. I've successfully changed icons for: This PC –> Ribbon —> System tab –> Open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by username1, May 7, 2016.

1. username1 Win User

Changing Explorer Ribbon icons

Hello,

I'm struggling to change some of the Eplorer's Ribbon icons. I've successfully changed icons for:
    This PC –> Ribbon —> System tab –> Open Settings and System properties. Those icons were located in shell32.dll

1. However I absolutely cannot change icon for This PC –> Ribbon —> System –> Access media
    I found a similar icon in imageres.dll and replaced it without any success: the drop-down icon in "Connect to a media server" changed but not the main one.

2. Another icon I cannot find is on Sharing tab of Ribbon –> Stop sharing (lock symbol).

3. And last one is on This PC, select internal drive –> Ribbon –> Manage tab –> BitLocker

The reason I wanna do it is @ 200% DPI scaling those icons look damaged and pixelated or just out of place by design.

Here's a quick temporary screenshot of progress (random icons for testing purpose applied):

Changing Explorer Ribbon icons [​IMG]

Please help!

:)

username1, May 7, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

incorrect icons are showing for apps

OK, you have been trying to solve this problem for quite a while now.

Can you please open a folder in Windows Explorer with mixed files in it,

Video, Audio and documents, then go to the View Ribbon at the top and change layout to Tiles

Then please provide screenshot of Full Windows Explorer window, including the View Ribbon and the icons that are displaying.

DaveM121, May 7, 2016
  3. Set default folder view in Windows 10.

Hello,

It looks like your query is concerned with folder icon size. You can change that setting by clicking View in File Explorer ribbon and then select small icons or medium icons. Correct me, if I misunderstood your question.

Regards.

Kapil Arya MVP, May 7, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

You might have some luck with 'Customiser God'
    CustomizerGod

Note it lists explorer ribbon icons.

However note you will lose these on each major upgrade build or if you do an in-place upgrade repair install, and possibly if you run sfc /scannow, so be prepared.

dalchina, May 7, 2016
  5. username1 Win User
    Thanks buddy dalchina, I've already tried this piece of software before 'reshacking'. It's a very poor software in terms of Windows 10 support. Unfortunately it's not capable of changing Ribbon things at all *Sick.
    I've tried changing in latest Insider Preview: same! Help. Maybe flushing some hidden icons cache will work?

username1, May 9, 2016
  6. username1 Win User
    OK, I managed to fix everything including "Stop sharing" icon.

Here's a brief guide o the other icons, tested on the latest Windows 10 with Anniversary Update.

Fix Access media icon in Windows Explorer Ribbon
    0. Run Resource Hacker
    1. Open Windows\system32\imageres.dll; ICON 2518
    2. Save as 2518.ICO
    3. Open 2518.ICO in Paint and save to 24-bit BMP 2518.BMP
    4. Open Windows\system32\ExplorerFrame.dll
    5. Replace BITMAP 60159, 60160 with 2518.BMP
    6. Save ExplorerFrame.dll to Desktop
    7. Rename Windows\system32\ExplorerFrame.dll to Windows\system32\ExplorerFrame.dll-
    8. Copy User\Desktop\ExplorerFrame.dll to Windows\system32
    9. Sign out and sign back in

For other icons copy this to Notepad and save as "Hackerman.reg" file, then run REGEDIT.EXE and edit your permissions for the following keys as described in this guide (easy and fast).

Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 ;ChangeExplorerShellSystemPropertiesIcon [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\Windows.SystemProperties] "Icon"="imageres.dll,-149" ;ChangeExplorerShellShareIcon [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\Windows.RibbonShare] "Icon"="shell32.dll,-48" ;ChangeShellAdvancedSecurityIcon [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\Windows.RibbonPermissionsDialog] "Icon"="imageres.dll,-5364"[/quote] Lastly the "Stop sharing" icon. It seems Windows Explorer has sort of bug with updating it. So I cannot say for sure what change fixed it for me: ICON GROUPS 120, 121 of NTSHRUI.DLL or ICON GROUP 31059 of IEFRAME.DLL. Both files can be found in Windows\System32 folder and the procedure is the same as with EXPLORERFRAME.DLL. Icon updated only after several reboots.

username1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Changing Explorer Ribbon icons - Similar Threads - Changing Explorer Ribbon

2. Explorer ribbon icons not showing up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer ribbon icons not showing up.: These icons don't show up but the buttons still work. Not sure how to fix this. :I tried deleting the icon cache but it didn't work either. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-ribbon-icons-not-showing-up/2362deef-28d7-46da-bb76-f78597d5140c
  3. Explorer ribbon icons not showing up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer ribbon icons not showing up.: These icons don't show up but the buttons still work. Not sure how to fix this. :I tried deleting the icon cache but it didn't work either. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-ribbon-icons-not-showing-up/2362deef-28d7-46da-bb76-f78597d5140c
  4. File Explorer Ribbon / Menu Missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Ribbon / Menu Missing: As you can see from the inserted picture, the tab, and menu or ribbon do not show on File Explorer. This is an intermittent issue, and sometimes clears up if I close and restart File Explorer, and sometimes I have to restart the computer.I have done a clean reinstall of...
  5. File explorer ribbon missing

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer ribbon missing: I am on windows 10 build 2004. For some reason, my explorer ribbon is just missing. I looked through a few old forum posts on here, but they suggest opening the drop down menu at the top, which is also somehow missing for me. Attached a screenshot. Any help would be...
  6. File Explorer ribbon is blank

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer ribbon is blank: [ATTACH]A couple days ago after Windows did an update, suddenly the Ribbon in File Explorer is always blank. Have done few more updates, hoping it would sort itself out, but it hasn't. Also started in Safe Mode, and it the issue is still there....
  7. Printer icon greyed out on the Share tab on the ribbon of the explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Printer icon greyed out on the Share tab on the ribbon of the explorer: Hi I have a user who uses the Printer icon to print files straight from the Documents file explorer window (Windows 10). However it seems the Printer icon is greyed out when trying to print certain files. In this case the user cannot print a .txt file or a PDF. Office files...
  8. Changing Icon Style in Ribbon - Outlook

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Icon Style in Ribbon - Outlook: Hi On Windows 10 and my Outlook ribbon icon style has changed on me. Is there a way to change back to this style: [ATTACH] From: Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-icon-style-in-ribbon-outlook/399ca058-45b9-40ed-a0e6-9150ffcf0702
  9. Missing Explorer Ribbon.

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Explorer Ribbon.: I have no explorer ribbon and not sure what happened to it. Been rather busy lately with other things, so maybe it was never there on install and didn't take notice... not sure. I just know it's not there now. Any help greatly appreciated. 115512
  10. The ribbon in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    The ribbon in File Explorer: Has any one figured out how to take the system tab off the ribbon in File Explorer? 28956