Windows 10: changing external hard drive to a larger one

Discus and support changing external hard drive to a larger one in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I recently bought a three terabit external hard drive in order to increase my storage size for photos videos etc. How do I go about getting all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TonyParkinson-Jose, Jan 16, 2019.

1. changing external hard drive to a larger one

Hi

I recently bought a three terabit external hard drive in order to increase my storage size for photos videos etc.

How do I go about getting all the photos and videos from my existing external hard drive over to the new one and also retain their file paths so my programs like photo shop and iTunes will not notice that I have changed to a different hard drive.

:)

TonyParkinson-Jose, Jan 16, 2019
  2. Marco Gav Win User

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Jan 16, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jan 16, 2019
  4. Mark Isi Win User

changing external hard drive to a larger one

External Hard Drive

Hi,

Just to verify, did you mean, your back up files used to be on your external hard drive, but now it's no longer there? If this is true, kindly provide more answers to the questions below, so we can further assess the issue:

• When did the files start to disappear?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have done so far?
    • Did you make nay changes on the settings of your PC or hard drive prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages when trying to plug in your external drive?
    • Does your external drive shows that the space is consumed?

Please advise. We'll keep an eye out to your response.

Mark Isi, Jan 16, 2019
Thema:

changing external hard drive to a larger one

1. changing external hard drive to a larger one - Similar Threads - changing external hard

2. Backing up to one drive and an external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backing up to one drive and an external hard drive?: Why is there no simple command that lets you save files to one drive and an external hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backing-up-to-one-drive-and-an-external-hard-drive/c6149ac1-6358-43dd-8caf-a3cc2f10914d
  3. Backing up to one drive and an external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backing up to one drive and an external hard drive?: Why is there no simple command that lets you save files to one drive and an external hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backing-up-to-one-drive-and-an-external-hard-drive/c6149ac1-6358-43dd-8caf-a3cc2f10914d
  4. One Drive/External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One Drive/External Hard Drive: For some time since I have done a Reinstall of windows, I had issues of when I would try to eject my external hard drive, with a notice that another program was using the drive and could not eject.I noticed when I was exploring various ways to solve this issue that Task...
  5. One Drive/External Hard Drive

One Drive/External Hard Drive: For some time since I have done a Reinstall of windows, I had issues of when I would try to eject my external hard drive, with a notice that another program was using the drive and could not eject.I noticed when I was exploring various ways to solve this issue that Task...
  6. Sync two external hard drives - not One Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sync two external hard drives - not One Drive: I am interested in syncing two 12TB external drives through my Windows 10 machine, I call them A and B. I want to be able to update the B drive every so often with organisation changes and additions that I make on my A drive automatically after choosing the moment to sync and...
  7. Sync two external hard drives - not One Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sync two external hard drives - not One Drive: I am interested in syncing two 12TB external drives through my Windows 10 machine, I call them A and B. I want to be able to update the B drive every so often with organisation changes and additions that I make on my A drive automatically after choosing the moment to sync and...
  8. Sync two external hard drives - not One Drive

9. Backing up one drive files to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backing up one drive files to external hard drive: For added security I like to back up my one drive files to an external hard drive. This may seem unnecessary but I like to have my files on my pc hard drive, the one drive cloud and another external hard drive. This is been working until recently when the backup app does not...
  10. changed access to external hard drive

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    changed access to external hard drive: I made a mistake by changing something I should not. My system is dutch so I must translate, which is probably not always clear, sorry for that. Here is what happened: I opened filebrowser and I saw a little icon with two heads under my external hard drive. I thought that...