Windows 10: Changing file name changes the folder name AND cannot find the folder

Discus and support Changing file name changes the folder name AND cannot find the folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Two odd things are happen to my files: 1. Changing only the file name in explorer changes the folder name 2. I cannot locate the directory (possibly a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by paulmarcus, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Changing file name changes the folder name AND cannot find the folder

Two odd things are happen to my files:

1. Changing only the file name in explorer changes the folder name
    2. I cannot locate the directory (possibly a library)

Here's what is happening in explorer:

I search for the text OLD, the results come up: file=IMG_3654.JPG folder path= c:\users\jose\photos old\

So I know the folder exists, but it does not appear in explorer within c:\users\jose\

Then, I change the file name in explorer to IMG_3654XXX.JPG and the folder name changes to c:\users\jose\pictures\holiday (this folder can be seen).

Is this something to do with libraries?

:)

paulmarcus, Mar 31, 2019
  2. Ryan_2013 Win User

Change User Name Folders

"The change the name on the Account folder is more difficult because it is more heavily protected. See this tutorial:https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/89060-chang..."

On this link, the details show renaming another account. I'm wanting to change the Admin account. It's a good thing I had another user setup on my computer, also as an Admin, because after changing the SID in step 8. And, unable to change the name in step
    11. As "Rename" wasn't in the list. I restarted the computer, since the Admin user account name was changed I was unable to load windows. I had to log into my other account, which was setup as Admin and change the SID back to the 5 letters the user name was
    titled.

My computer, Admin account, works again.

I wasn't wanting to just change another account user name, which this is possible to do. I wanted to change the main user, myself.

Ryan_2013, Mar 31, 2019
  3. name changes??

If you desire a name change please do the following:

• Ask yourself if you really need a name change.
    • Make sure you have a good reason.
    • Know what you want your new name to be before you request a name change.
    • Send Urlyin a PM containing a decent explanation of your reason as well as your desired name.

Polaris573, Mar 31, 2019
  4. Changing file name changes the folder name AND cannot find the folder

Unable to change folder name

Hi,

It is unusual that the folder name gets changed to "document" automatically during the backup.

I suggest you to try the steps below and check if the issue persists.

1. Create the new folder, right click on it and select "properties".

2. Click "customize".

3. Under "optimize this folder for", select "general items" and also make sure to check the"also apply this template to all subfolder" option and save the changes.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Mar 31, 2019
Thema:

Changing file name changes the folder name AND cannot find the folder

1. Changing file name changes the folder name AND cannot find the folder - Similar Threads - Changing file name

2. How to change this folder name?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change this folder name?: I know how to rename the folder but this one wont let me do so. So when the person who set up this laptop for me, misspell my name and now i want to change it. Please help...
  3. Change the name of account and folder name.

Change the name of account and folder name.: I am in the process of setting up a Windows PC. I noticed that after I went through the prompts to begin using windows and signing on to my Microsoft account that I have a user in my local folders called c:\users\kenp1. I do not want to use that name, but I can't find...
  4. Changing User folder name ??

Changing User folder name ??: I recently clean installed Win 10 and i came to found out that the name of the user folder is first 5 letters of my email address. I wanted to know if there is a simple solution to this. I also tried renaming and changing path in regedit using Administrator account but it was...
  5. I cannot change OneDrive folder name

I cannot change OneDrive folder name: Hi, I already had a folder called "OneDrive-1" under user folder and I was using it for my main OneDrive folder. So, "My Documents" and "Picture" folders are referring to this folder. The alias shows "OneDrive" and not "OneDrive-1", but now I want to change the folder name...
  6. file and apps name changes in folders

file and apps name changes in folders: When I open my folders the contents of the file names is changed with a date extension added to it : ex. (2018_08_09 14_55_16 UTC) . Why is this happening and how do I get rid of this. Thanks - Val...
  7. change a user name folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    change a user name folder: how do I change a user name folder in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-a-user-name-folder/7413f37f-1efb-44a8-9a97-24132b3ad0f8
  8. User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders"

User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders": I have a problem with my User Folder. Actually the User Folder name is fine, but when you add the Folder on the desktop (with the option on Personalize + Themes) it changed it's name to "Folders" I've tried creating new users, but every new user I create, no matter how...
  9. User's Files folder name changed to"Folders"

User's Files folder name changed to"Folders": User's files folder name(In my case its 'Dev') suddenly changed to "Folders". Whatever new account I create it still shows the home folder as "Folders". Pls help..Its really annoying.My brother used the laptop and accidently installed some malware and adware which i just...
  10. Is it possible to change this folder name ?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Is it possible to change this folder name ?: Is it possible to change this folder name ? Because I type the wrong name when I install windows 10 *Sad In this folder C:\Users [img] 16405

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file changes name cannot find\