Windows 10: Changing File name with PowerShell

Discus and support Changing File name with PowerShell in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I am rookie in a power shell, and I will be grateful for some help. I was trying to rename the suffix of filename, but it didn't go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AlexŠiškovič, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Changing File name with PowerShell

Hello everyone,

I am rookie in a power shell, and I will be grateful for some help. I was trying to rename the suffix of filename, but it didn't go very well. Name of my file is: "hello.txt.abcdefg" I want to rename it into "hello.txt". I already tryed something like this:

Get-ChildItem * | Rename-Item -NewName {$_.name -replace ".%",'.txt'}

Get-ChildItem * | Rename-Item -NewName {$_.name -replace ".*",'.txt'}

I really don't know what am I doing here, so I will be grateful for a solution and some explanation here.

thanks in advance,

Alex

:)

AlexŠiškovič, Mar 20, 2019

2. name changes??

If you desire a name change please do the following:

• Ask yourself if you really need a name change.
    • Make sure you have a good reason.
    • Know what you want your new name to be before you request a name change.
    • Send Urlyin a PM containing a decent explanation of your reason as well as your desired name.

Polaris573, Mar 20, 2019
  3. Kreij Win User
    name changes??

How about TPU_Moms_Rule.

Just a suggestion *Smile Changing File name with PowerShell :)

I agree with most people. Mod assisted name changes only.

Kreij, Mar 20, 2019
  4. Changing File name with PowerShell

change windows 10 pc name

We appreciate you getting back to us. To change the cmd name, we suggest that you follow this steps:

• Open a Command Prompt (Adimin) window: Win+X, A, Alt+Y
    • Then run the following command to change your computer name to Donner: WMIC ComputerSystem where Name=COMPUTER-NAME call Rename Name=NewName
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Try to run ipconfig / all command, you should find that the Host Name in Windows IP Configuration list has been changed to the new name.

Keep us posted with the result.

Marilou Ser, Mar 20, 2019
Thema:

Changing File name with PowerShell

1. Changing File name with PowerShell - Similar Threads - Changing File name

2. Name did not change in powershell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Name did not change in powershell: I changed my user name in c:\Users , my microsoft account, and in control panel ,my new name shows in those places. Yet old name shows in powershell. I am sole user of this computer. No one else has access. Windows 11 Pro 64-bit Version 23H2 build 22631.3085 How can I have my...
  3. Name did not change in powershell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Name did not change in powershell: I changed my user name in c:\Users , my microsoft account, and in control panel ,my new name shows in those places. Yet old name shows in powershell. I am sole user of this computer. No one else has access. Windows 11 Pro 64-bit Version 23H2 build 22631.3085 How can I have my...
  4. Bulk change file 'Title' Name for files not file 'name'

Bulk change file 'Title' Name for files not file 'name': Hi - I want to know how to bulk change the 'TITLE' in files on my computer.Scenario is that I download audiobooks by the chapter to put on my Garmin watch. The audiobooks download with the 'NAME' listed by chapter, e.g. "XYZ Chapter 01", but the 'TITLE' in generically named...
  5. Change name from dell to KUNAL in cmd and powershell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change name from dell to KUNAL in cmd and powershell: I want to change name from DELL to KUNAL in cmd and powershell https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-name-from-dell-to-kunal-in-cmd-and/31ea4156-d6bb-45e1-b95e-b9ae0d3ea1b2
  6. Change name from dell to KUNAL in cmd and powershell

Change name from dell to KUNAL in cmd and powershell: I want to change name from DELL to KUNAL in cmd and powershell https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-name-from-dell-to-kunal-in-cmd-and/31ea4156-d6bb-45e1-b95e-b9ae0d3ea1b2
  7. Change name from dell to KUNAL in cmd and powershell

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. File name change

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File name change: I noticed my main User Name is now ; jax20 and my Desktop is ; DESKTOP-BQCHIOD none of MY file are in MY NAME, everything is under this jax20, I was forced to create an email for this file !!! the SYSTEM IS IN CHARGE OF EVERYTHING NOW ! blocking me from me from...
  9. File Names changed

File Names changed: Dear Sir, While I was doing my day to day work on my PC, the entire file names of certain folder changed into one name. This caused severe difficulties for me to continue my work further. This happened second time in a week. Kindly give me a solution to avoid this...
  10. changing file names

changing file names: When I try to change my file names in win 10, I take this notification. 0x80070057 parameter is incorrect . It seems file names does not change but I think windows keep the file with the original name and then create a new file with the new name. This cause duplications....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change a filename in powershell

2. powershell for changing file name

3. chaning file names in powershell